AMD raid 0 vs Intel raid 0

Leekay07

Hi All,  

I am posting this because I want to help inform you if you build a PC with the intention of building a gaming PC with the possible performance of a PS5.

I worked at Micron Technologies for the previous 2 years and was very lucky to have discount on memory and SSD hardware.  I bought the best I could and decided to build my kids and myself new gaming PC.  I lived <30mins from Micro center.  So all this was easy for me.  

I needed to build 3 gaming PC's 

Ultra high end,

High end 

Midrange.  

Without going into the specs I can say that the AMD setup was a major pain in the bum.  Its not windows plug in and play but has been around for over a year.  Once installed its slow to boot by some 20 seconds and it never did anything faster in raid 0 than it would have done single device. Raid was a major pain in the but to install.  Noone uses DVD's, CDs, or blue rays so why do motherboard vendors not just throw in a 4gb usb stick with the drivers on..   

Intel one is supported in windows startup on any intel chipset.  It boots 4x faster and uses both even if its not PCIe 4x it still way outperforms the AMD one at transfer files from SATA to the drive. 

12 minutes ago, Leekay07 said:

Intel one is supported in windows startup on any intel chipset.  It boots 4x faster and uses both even if its not PCIe 4x it still way outperforms the AMD one at transfer files from SATA to the drive. 

What boot times do you get? Raid shouldn't give you 4x faster boot times, like 5-10% faster at most. What intel board? wast this going over the DMI?

Id really avoid any mother board raid, just use software raid instead, works much better.

Since any raid implementation introduces additional delays, effectively reducing non-queued small block random iops, and windows boot process does not really care about linear r/w speeds raid0 improves (with one exception of resuming from hibernation), it is very likely that raid will actually increase boot time (by some completely unnoticeable amount), not reduce it.

And the same is true not only for OS boot, but for any workloads that care about random io, not linear r/w (so approximately 100% of stuff on typical home/gaming pc).

Or in short building ssd raid0 "to improve performance", without very specific and special usecase (like reading to /dev/null or writing from /dev/zero), is about as pointless as it gets, i'd say even counterproductive.

That said, knowing how good amd software generally is - if you had issues with it - it is totally expected and normal. Doing raid using amd software is something i would not do ever, unless forced at gunpoint.