Looking for a new laptop, but a little hesitant about the one I found.

I was looking around for new laptops and I found this one: ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 - 17.3" 300Hz - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - Intel Core i9-10980HK - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB SSD - Per-Key RGB KB - Win10 Pro - Gaming Laptop (G732LWS-XS98) - Newegg.com

I'm thinking about getting it but a review has me hesitant. The reviewer said the CPU is throttled to 77% out of the box. Is this something I should worry about? I haven't heard any reviewers mentioning the throttle on Youtube, so I'm wondering if it was a problem with that buyer's unit. 

As for what I'll be using it for, mostly gaming and internet surfing as well as netflix and video watching. 

Don't buy it. There are rtx3000 laptops available for that price that are simply put much better. The 10980hk is known to be a very hard chip to cool and since it's throttled out of the box you are essentially paying more for a cpu that you cannot fully use and probably ends up being matched in games due to that by it's cheaper i7 6 core counterpart.

Either way skip intel amd is so much better in laptops right now. They run less hot, perform better and consume a lot less power which makes it possible to get previously not possible laptops like the asus g14.

Currently 2 of the good rtx 3000 laptops are the xmg core amd 2021 version and the asus g15, asus flex 13 (but it's a weird one wouldn't get it) and the asus g14. Others haven't had more than one reviewer review it so I'm not a fan of recommending them yet with only one viewpoint especially msi laptops.

Ones to avoid are a new thin msi gaming laptop that hasn't had a official name yet and the asus tuf series due to weird cooling temp restrictions causing performance loss.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Don't buy it. There are rtx3000 laptops available for that price that are simply put much better. The 10980hk is known to be a very hard chip to cool and since it's throttled out of the box you are essentially paying more for a cpu that you cannot fully use and probably ends up being matched in games due to that by it's cheaper i7 6 core counterpart.

Either way skip intel amd is so much better in laptops right now. They run less hot, perform better and consume a lot less power which makes it possible to get previously not possible laptops like the asus g14.

Currently 2 of the good rtx 3000 laptops are the xmg core amd 2021 version and the asus g15, asus flex 13 (but it's a weird one wouldn't get it) and the asus g14. Others haven't had more than one reviewer review it so I'm not a fan of recommending them yet with only one viewpoint especially msi laptops.

Ones to avoid are a new thin msi gaming laptop that hasn't had a official name yet and the asus tuf series due to weird cooling temp restrictions causing performance loss.

I'm not worried about 30 series GPUs. I'm fine getting a 20 series laptop, and the 30 series aren't due for at least a month or two, possibly 3. As for AMD, I prefer Intel. I realize AMD is better right now, but I would like to stick with what I know. 

Amazon.com: CUK ROG Strix Scar 17 G732LWS by ASUS 17 Inch Gaming Notebook (Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 17.3" FHD 300Hz IPS, Windows 10 Home) Gamer Laptop Computer: Computers & Accessories

What about this one? Same laptop but with I7. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm not worried about 30 series GPUs. I'm fine getting a 20 series laptop, and the 30 series aren't due for at least a month or two, possibly 3. As for AMD, I prefer Intel. I realize AMD is better right now, but I would like to stick with what I know. 

Amazon.com: CUK ROG Strix Scar 17 G732LWS by ASUS 17 Inch Gaming Notebook (Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 17.3" FHD 300Hz IPS, Windows 10 Home) Gamer Laptop Computer: Computers & Accessories

What about this one? Same laptop but with I7. 

You can buy 3000 series laptops right now? Why get a worse laptop?

Also why the intel only? It's just a cpu if nobody ever told you what was in your pc you'd never realize what brand was in there. I don't really get why you would want to get a worse laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/HIDevolution-Zephyrus-GA503QR-3200MHz-Windows/dp/B08VFDYY7S/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rtx+3070+laptop&qid=1614342909&sr=8-4

Like this thing stomps over that older zephyrus. It's by far not the best but like this is search result number one.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can buy 3000 series laptops right now? Why get a worse laptop?

Also why the intel only? It's just a cpu if nobody ever told you what was in your pc you'd never realize what brand was in there. I don't really get why you would want to get a worse laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/HIDevolution-Zephyrus-GA503QR-3200MHz-Windows/dp/B08VFDYY7S/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rtx+3070+laptop&qid=1614342909&sr=8-4

Like this thing stomps over that older zephyrus. It's by far not the best but like this is search result number one.

Oh, I couldn't find any that were for sale. 

As for why intel, just a personal preference. 

Also, not to thrilled about the 15 inch size. I don't want anything less than 17 inches. Also, I would prefer 1080P over 4K for more FPS. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh, I couldn't find any that were for sale. 

As for why intel, just a personal preference. 

Also, not to thrilled about the 15 inch size. I don't want anything less than 17 inches. Also, I would prefer 1080P over 4K for more FPS. 

Sure I literally just linked the first laptop possible. Another issue is that it's getting harder to get intel gaming laptops as well manufacturers are starting to really use amd a lot more in well everything so going to see what I can find.

It seems it's 15 inch or bust right now so I say wait a little bit longer. They are launching more every day and the only 17 inch 3000 series laptop I can find is an msi with the exact same cooling issues as the asus you mentioned here. Which is common for intel laptops until you get to desktop replacement class thicc bois :p.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Sure I literally just linked the first laptop possible. Another issue is that it's getting harder to get intel gaming laptops as well manufacturers are starting to really use amd a lot more in well everything so going to see what I can find.

It seems it's 15 inch or bust right now so I say wait a little bit longer. They are launching more every day and the only 17 inch 3000 series laptop I can find is an msi with the exact same cooling issues as the asus you mentioned here. Which is common for intel laptops until you get to desktop replacement class thicc bois :p.

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 Gaming Laptop, 17.3” 300Hz FHD IPS Type, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super, Intel Core i7-10875H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD, Per-Key RGB Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 10, G732LWS-DS76: Computers & Accessories

What about this laptop? I would prefer 32 gigs (As I tend to mod my games a lot), but that's easily fixed by buying a ram stick. Looking at the reviews of the sellers, seems the best seller would be CE Showroom.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 Gaming Laptop, 17.3” 300Hz FHD IPS Type, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super, Intel Core i7-10875H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD, Per-Key RGB Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 10, G732LWS-DS76: Computers & Accessories

What about this laptop? I would prefer 32 gigs (As I tend to mod my games a lot), but that's easily fixed by buying a ram stick. Looking at the reviews of the sellers, seems the best seller would be CE Showroom.

Do you have to buy now now and does it have to be 17 inch? Are you going to game only on the laptop or on a separate screen?

The issue here is that that laptop is already replaced by laptops at that price that perform 30-40% better that you can buy right now.

This one still runs hot hot but it can keep the cpu under control most of the time. If you really want a 17 inch wait you will not be let down at all. The issue with buying an older laptop is that it will be out of date far sooner and need replacement sooner too than the new one and you cannot stop that from happening unlike with a desktop. So always buy the best you can for the money which this one is not at all.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do you have to buy now now and does it have to be 17 inch? Are you going to game only on the laptop or on a separate screen?

The issue here is that that laptop is already replaced by laptops at that price that perform 30-40% better that you can buy right now.

This one still runs hot hot but it can keep the cpu under control most of the time. If you really want a 17 inch wait you will not be let down at all. The issue with buying an older laptop is that it will be out of date far sooner and need replacement sooner too than the new one and you cannot stop that from happening unlike with a desktop. So always buy the best you can for the money which this one is not at all.

Do I need to buy one right now? Not really, but my laptop is old, and I'm worried it might be dying. I got it back in 2016. It has a I7-4XXX and a 970M, so any upgrade I get is going to be a huge improvement over that. I'm not really worried about it being out of date either, because all computer hardware is "out of date" within a few months of release. Something better is always around the corner. 

Concerning the 17 inches, yes. I want nothing less than 17 inches. I can't stand small screens.

As for what I'm using for, mostly gaming with some netflix/youtube/video watching. 

I would like to buy one right now tho. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

Do I need to buy one right now? Not really, but my laptop is old, and I'm worried it might be dying. I got it back in 2016. It has a I7-4XXX and a 970M, so any upgrade I get is going to be a huge improvement over that. I'm not really worried about it being out of date either, because all computer hardware is "out of date" within a few months of release. Something better is always around the corner. 

Concerning the 17 inches, yes. I want nothing less than 17 inches. I can't stand small screens.

As for what I'm using for, mostly gaming with some netflix/youtube/video watching. 

Computer hardware goes out of date when replaced and the new intel and amd + rtx3000 just came out so I really advise you to get those as this is more of a for the same money you can get at minimum 30% better performance which can mean you get to use your laptop for a year longer before it falls below your expected gaming performance.

I just recently moved from a 970m 6700hq laptop (so basically same cpu performance) to a used 2700x + vega 56 desktop after it finally stopped being a laptop due to case defects from a couple nasty falls with me :p. Great jump but this older hardware is already showing it's age and it's about the performance you will get out of that asus laptop you linked hence why I urge you to just wait a bit more and get wave 3 of the laptops (starting beginning of march the biggest wave of rtx 3000 laptops comes out including all the 17 inch models basically). That or the older stuff comes down in price and you can get one of those stupid 200w rtx 2080 laptops that perform about as good as a regular 3070 laptop.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Computer hardware goes out of date when replaced and the new intel and amd + rtx3000 just came out so I really advise you to get those as this is more of a for the same money you can get at minimum 30% better performance which can mean you get to use your laptop for a year longer before it falls below your expected gaming performance.

I just recently moved from a 970m 6700hq laptop (so basically same cpu performance) to a used 2700x + vega 56 desktop after it finally stopped being a laptop due to case defects from a couple nasty falls with me :p. Great jump but this older hardware is already showing it's age and it's about the performance you will get out of that asus laptop you linked hence why I urge you to just wait a bit more and get wave 3 of the laptops (starting beginning of march the biggest wave of rtx 3000 laptops comes out including all the 17 inch models basically). That or the older stuff comes down in price and you can get one of those stupid 200w rtx 2080 laptops that perform about as good as a regular 3070 laptop.

Well, another problem with 30 series laptops is people are going to snatch them up like candy, so, there's no guarantee I'm going to be able to get one since everyone and their dog is waiting for them. So I actually have a better chance of scoring a 20 series laptop now than a 30 series. 

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, another problem with 30 series laptops is people are going to snatch them up like candy, so, there's no guarantee I'm going to be able to get one since everyone and their dog is waiting for them. So I actually have a better chance of scoring a 20 series laptop now than a 30 series. 

Oh no they are only snatching the cheap ones as you can see those other ones have been in stock for weeks now and you can buy them without a hitch. So really just wait a couple weeks you can easily buy the class of laptop you want. The only ones sold out are the super dirt cheap ones that miners want the rog, zehpyrus, msi big boi gaming, acer predators,... all easy to get for the normal price.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Oh no they are only snatching the cheap ones as you can see those other ones have been in stock for weeks now and you can buy them without a hitch. So really just wait a couple weeks you can easily buy the class of laptop you want. The only ones sold out are the super dirt cheap ones that miners want the rog, zehpyrus, msi big boi gaming, acer predators,... all easy to get for the normal price.

I think I might just go ahead and get that Asus laptop with the 2070 super. The laptop is not my main game station, I have a desktop. The laptop is simply for keeping me entertained at work.