using an antec power supply for mining (see description)

wabulu
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
1 minute ago, wabulu said:

you are making a really strong point and i agree with it, but does a low load on the power supply will make the chances lower ? for example the tdp of the whole system is about 350 watts i believe

well.. yes.. but i wouldnt even want to use that thing anywhere near it's rated spec for more than a short moment.

i'll put it like this: it's like playing a reverse lotery. drawing more wattage is like buying a bigger ticket, and using it longer is like buying more tickets. eventually you're gonna win the lotery, except this is reverse lotery so winning means losing big time.

i doubt you're gonna hit 'victory' using it as a gaming rig maybe a few hours at a time with lots of idle time in between, but loading it 24/7 is going to hit some unexpected thermal event at some point.

Hello everyone, 

I am using an antec vp700p plus power supply with my system that includes the following:

Asus B550M a 

ryzen 5 3600 

rx 5700 xt 

512gb ssd 

a monitor 

and a antec nx100 case.

Anyway I use that system to mine when I am not home since I am not home most of the week.
I don't want to damage my system and that's why I ask here(I couldnt find a proper review anywhere else),

A: Will and is mining using that power supply could cause fire/ reduce the system lifespan by a significant margin.(total gpu power is ~105 watts with 740 core voltage) 

B: This one isn't really connected to the gpu but since I don't wish to post another post on the gpu page ill ask here if it's fine, the gpu sits about 47c on core 55 junction and 82 memory junction all of that with gpu fanspeed at 66% (for refrence I am using the rx 5700 xt sapphire pulse edition)

(link to the power supply website: https://antec.com/product/power/vp700p-plus.php

I would really appreciate any support ! 

Just now, Gorilla Warfare said:

That Antec  PSU is horrible quality.

what do you mean by that ? I don't have any reference to a good quality power supply so I don't have any thing to compare it too and tbh I don't know anything about electricity or power supplies.

Just letting you know , it's not a good power supply in terms of build quality. Not to be trusted for longevity and reliability.

It is not a good psu do not use. It lacks some safety features and doesn't deliver the cleanest power. If it goes the whole system goes basically.

just looking at an image of what the board inside looks like i can tell you it's basicly a fire hazard for a 24/7 mining operation...

spend 150 bucks on a high quality power supply, the return on investment isnt too bad, and it'll help guaranteeing long term operation, and longevity of your parts.

a failure of your power supply would essentially imply lost revenue from mining, but also most likely a loss of other hardware, so the cost of getting back up and running is higher.

I don't have much of a choice to use it or not... that's why my question is: is it a fire hazard/ gonna damage my system. 

if it is i will stop mining with it... the only reason i mine with that system is cause i am not home most of the week and the extra 6$ a day is a nice edition. 

51 minutes ago, wabulu said:

I don't have much of a choice to use it or not... that's why my question is: is it a fire hazard/ gonna damage my system. 

if it is i will stop mining with it... the only reason i mine with that system is cause i am not home most of the week and the extra 6$ a day is a nice edition. 

extra 6$ a day with the potential for starting a house fire. it's a PSU of a quality most people on this forum (as you saw before..) will strongly recommend against using in a high end system at all, let alone run a 24/7 load.

i'm not saying that it's defenately going to start a house fire, it's that the risk/reward here is just simply not worth it. it's the sort of power supply where you can measure fluctuations on the power grid on your +12v rail. sure it can theoretically output 700 watts, but it's certainly not a power supply you'd trust a high end system with.

essentially, the risk/reward is like this: you could make 6$ a day more if you park your car at the side of the road instead of a secure car park, but it's a shady neighborhood so the chance of someone busting a window to steal whatever is inside your car is exponentially higher and the cost of repairing your car would far outweigh the money saved.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

extra 6$ a day with the potential for starting a house fire. it's a PSU of a quality most people on this forum (as you saw before..) will strongly recommend against using in a high end system at all, let alone run a 24/7 load.

i'm not saying that it's defenately going to start a house fire, it's that the risk/reward here is just simply not worth it. it's the sort of power supply where you can measure fluctuations on the power grid on your +12v rail. sure it can theoretically output 700 watts, but it's certainly not a power supply you'd trust a high end system with.

essentially, the risk/reward is like this: you could make 6$ a day more if you park your car at the side of the road instead of a secure car park, but it's a shady neighborhood so the chance of someone busting a window to steal whatever is inside your car is exponentially higher and the cost of repairing your car would far outweigh the money saved.

you are making a really strong point and i agree with it, but does a low load on the power supply will make the chances lower ? for example the tdp of the whole system is about 350 watts i believe

1 minute ago, wabulu said:

well.. yes.. but i wouldnt even want to use that thing anywhere near it's rated spec for more than a short moment.

i'll put it like this: it's like playing a reverse lotery. drawing more wattage is like buying a bigger ticket, and using it longer is like buying more tickets. eventually you're gonna win the lotery, except this is reverse lotery so winning means losing big time.

i doubt you're gonna hit 'victory' using it as a gaming rig maybe a few hours at a time with lots of idle time in between, but loading it 24/7 is going to hit some unexpected thermal event at some point.

Ok you convinced me! 

I'll mark this topic as ended.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how do I mark this topic as finished ? ps Is the memory temp a problem ? i saw the same temps while gaming aswell

Just now, wabulu said:

how do I mark this topic as finished ? ps Is the memory temp a problem ? i saw the same temps while gaming aswell

there should be a 'checkmark' icon by all the posts in this thread, you can click that to mark that specific post as the answer to your question.