A quick question

FaKe_Chuy

I have a i5 10400 and im planning on buying the base rtx 2080. I have a 450 w power supply. Will this be enough for my new card?

Will be enough. What is the model of the psu? Also why are you paring a 10400 with a 2080? Very unbalanced having a sub $150 cpu with a $700 card, possible bottleneck there too.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

I don't think so no. I would go with a 600w unit with that config and that would have a little wiggle room.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

You should upgrade that PSU.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, UpTheDons said:

Will be enough. What is the model of the psu? Also why are you paring a 10400 with a 2080? Very unbalanced having a sub $150 cpu with a $700 card, possible bottleneck there too.

Its an evga br 450w. And if my cpu will bottleneck my gpu, what do you recommend? 🙂 

Just now, FaKe_Chuy said:

Its an evga br 450w. And if my cpu will bottleneck my gpu, what do you recommend? 🙂 

a 10400 is very slow paced a 10600k is good 

3 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

a 10400 is very slow paced a 10600k is good 

Okay thanks for helping me out.

i'd say the 10400 is perfectly fine with a 2080. i would also change the psu to a good quality 550w or 600w psu.

8 minutes ago, FaKe_Chuy said:

I would upgrade that power supply, a 80+ Gold unit will be good (either 550w or 600w). If you want some guidance, the psu tier list on this forum is helpful, anything tier B and above is good.

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

i'd say the 10400 is perfectly fine with a 2080. i would also change the psu to a good quality 550w or 600w psu.

i say no ik clock doesnt really matter but the 10400 is a way to downclocked 10600k thats loses a shit ton of performance

9 minutes ago, FaKe_Chuy said:

upgrade the PSU. Im not sure why people are saying the 10400 isn't enough, people pair 10400s with the 3060ti all the time, and the 3060ti is a better card than the 2080.

Also what is your country + budget for the PSU upgrade?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

i say no ik clock doesnt really matter but the 10400 is a way to downclocked 10600k thats loses a shit ton of performance

the 10400 performs similarly to a ryzen 5 3600, but cheaper.

a year ago everyone was recommending the ryzen 5 3600 for gaming, even paired with a 2080ti.

so I think the 10400 is good enough for a 2080.

Just now, boggy77 said:

the overclock ability 

Just now, Downkey said:

zen 2 overclocks barley made a difference tho?

overclocks can help performance, 

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

a year ago everyone was recommending the ryzen 5 3600 for gaming, even paired with a 2080ti.

so I think the 10400 is good enough for a 2080.

I agree I think it will be fine for OP, just wondering if its necessary buying a 2080 if OPs gone for a 10400 as a slightly more budget orientated CPU and it isn't worth going for a cheaper gpu. Performance should be fine at the end of the day.

the overclock ability 

overclocking a r5 3600 will give max 5% extra performance, not enough to be clearly better than the 10400. especially given the 10400 is $50 cheaper

3700x or 5600x for gaming PC? | Overclockers UK Forums

Just now, UpTheDons said:

I agree I think it will be fine for OP, just wondering if its necessary buying a 2080 if OPs gone for a 10400 as a slightly more budget orientated CPU and it isn't worth going for a cheaper gpu. Performance should be fine at the end of the day.

I think a 10400 and a 2080 is a perfect combination, especially if gaming at 1440p.

4 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

overclocks can help performance, 

For the $40-50 difference it isn't worth it especially, as mentioned above, for 5% extra performance.

Just now, UpTheDons said:

for 5% extra performance.

did he ever physically benchmark it

did he ever physically benchmark it

I think that benchmark is from hardware unboxed which is a trusted source and channel, if that's what your asking?

4 minutes ago, UpTheDons said:

I think that benchmark is from hardware unboxed which is a trusted source and channel, if that's what your asking?

that benchmark used a 5700xt im pretty damn sure

27 minutes ago, Downkey said:

upgrade the PSU. Im not sure why people are saying the 10400 isn't enough, people pair 10400s with the 3060ti all the time, and the 3060ti is a better card than the 2080.

Also what is your country + budget for the PSU upgrade?

My budget is around 80 dollars for a psu and im in the united states