Why is my 3600 memory not showing as 3600?

DonBaldy
Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

CPU-Z halves your RAM speed, for some reason. Look at DRAM Frequency under the Memory tab, and multiply it by two. That's the speed your RAM is actually running at (which looks to be 3600MHz). Here's how it looks for me, with my G.Skill set at 3600MHz:

Capture.PNG

What am I doing wrong as I'm sure it's user error. Built tonight. XMP is enabled in bios and it's showing as 3600 there. Hope the image helps.

memory.png

CPU-Z halves your RAM speed, for some reason. Look at DRAM Frequency under the Memory tab, and multiply it by two. That's the speed your RAM is actually running at (which looks to be 3600MHz). Here's how it looks for me, with my G.Skill set at 3600MHz:

Capture.PNG

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

7 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

CPU-Z halves your RAM speed, for some reason

It doesn't halve it, it displays the actual clock speed of the RAM, which in this case is 1800MHz. Double Data Rate (DDR) means that the RAM performs two operations per clock cycle, which results in an effective "clock" of 3600MT/s (not MHz), which is what's advertised and quoted because bigger numbers sound better.

7 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

DDR = Double Data Rate

(near enough) 1800MHz x2 = 3600MT/s

The RAM's running at the right speed.

So it's a case of me not understanding what I'm seeing? 

Thank you all.

Just now, DonBaldy said:

So it's a case of me not understanding what I'm seeing? 

Thank you all.

It's a very common thing for people to get tripped up on, you're by no means alone. 

Your RAM's running at the correct speeds so no need to worry.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's a very common thing for people to get tripped up on, you're by no means alone. 

Your RAM's running at the correct speeds so no need to worry.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It doesn't halve it, it displays the actual clock speed of the RAM, which in this case is 1800MHz. Double Data Rate (DDR) means that the RAM performs two operations per clock cycle, which results in an effective "clock" of 3600MT/s (not MHz), which is what's advertised and quoted because bigger numbers sound better.

Ah, you learn something new every day! Glad to see that the "biggerer number" philosophy has invaded every part of the PC space.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)