motherboard upgrades?

Yqish

I got a hand me down pc which has a really bad motherboard and am looking for an upgrade. Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Yqish said:

That computer doesn't quite look like it has a compatible layout for most modern motherboards, meaning you probably won't be able to just stick in some mATX or ATX motherboard and watch it fly away into the sunset. With that CPU you can use B350, X370, B450, and X470 motherboards, but I have no idea if those will fit in there. OEM PC's are weird

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

4 minutes ago, Yqish said:

You can't upgrade your motherboard without upgrading your power supply as well. Why do you feel that you need to upgrade the motherboard?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Does it have a proprietary power supply, e.g. no 24-pin power connector?
What wattage does the PSU have?
Also, the HP website says the "AMD Ryzen 5 2400G" has "Intel UHD Graphics 640", lol.

I probably am going to upgrade the psu to, all i know about this one is that its 400w. interms of graphics it also has a vega 11 integrated but i just use the ryzen 580

Just now, PorkishPig said:

You can't upgrade your motherboard without upgrading your power supply as well. Why do you feel that you need to upgrade the motherboard?

it only has 2 ram slots

Looking closer at this motherboard and yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah there's no chance a standard ATX spec board is going in there without some drilling. Nothing about that motherboard looks... normal.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

8 minutes ago, Yqish said:

it only has 2 ram slots

In your particular case, upgrading your motherboard is entirely unrealistic unless you're replacing the entire system. Your best bet is upgrading your memory with the anticipation of moving it to a new system later down the line.

Edited by PorkishPig

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

6 minutes ago, Yqish said:

it only has 2 ram slots

that's fine lol. i assume you wanted to add to the ram it has. it would be alot cheaper and easier to buy a whole new 2 stick ram kit, rather than replace mobo psu case ect..

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

that's fine lol. i assume you wanted to add to the ram it has. it would be alot cheaper and easier to buy a whole new 2 stick ram kit, rather than replace mobo psu case ect..

ok, but if I want to upgrade the psu do I have to worry about the mobo and case? or when would it be smart to change those?

22 minutes ago, Yqish said:

ok, but if I want to upgrade the psu do I have to worry about the mobo and case? or when would it be smart to change those?

as others have already stated, you will likely have to deal with proprietary connectors for the psu/mobo, so i wouldn't recommend upgrading the psu unless you have to.

edit: tl;dr. if you want to upgrade anything other than the ram and cpu, you will likely be better off building a new pc.