Getting Started in CS:GO

Jamdude

I've dipped in and out of Counter Strike but have never got in to it properly, are there any videos I could watch to help me get started?  I don't really know what I'm doing apart from the standard game modes (deathmatch, arms race, and demolition).

Any tips would be great as well, thanks.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Aim for the head

Edit: and like the previous post mentioned, defuse mission is the actual original/ standard game type

1: dont spray, learn how to burst fire with weapons

2: strafe, very important

3: dont rush as CT, Rush as T (if youre getting to the higher skill levels this may not apply but for a newcomer this is fine)

4: have fun

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Aim for the head

not 100% treu, depends on the weapon, if it has alot of recoil that goes straight up for the first 5 shots, aim for the upper belly, 

this is treu at extreme long range and extreme close range tho

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

my friends tried to get me into it, but ive decided that those friends are pricks and they can go die. end result 4hours in csgo and im likely not going to touch it again, it might be decent for some but not my cup of tie, dont ask why i dont know why i dont like it, even though im pretty good.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

go watch Warowl on Youtube, he does great guides and live streams a few times a week :) https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWarOwl

oh and those 3 are the non standard modes :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at his tutorials.  Oh, they're just the gamemodes that I thought were pretty standard across fps games.

Aim for the head

Yes, I've been told that helps.

1: dont spray, learn how to burst fire with weapons

2: strafe, very important

3: dont rush as CT, Rush as T (if youre getting to the higher skill levels this may not apply but for a newcomer this is fine)

4: have fun

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind and practice my aim.  Should I practice on bots or people in a quick play match?

my friends tried to get me into it, but ive decided that those friends are pricks and they can go die. end result 4hours in csgo and im likely not going to touch it again, it might be decent for some but not my cup of tie, dont ask why i dont know why i dont like it, even though im pretty good.

Well I've clocked up 7 hours in CS:GO with friends so far but it's all been running around and shooting without really knowing what I'm doing.  I like fps games and CS:GO is popular so I want to get to know how to play it well.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

you can spray, but as his tutorial will show you, you need to learn how to control it if you do, dont strafe, normally, as that will screw you accuracy, you need to stutter step(which is very hard to master :P )

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

not 100% treu, depends on the weapon, if it has alot of recoil that goes straight up for the first 5 shots, aim for the upper belly, 

this is treu at extreme long range and extreme close range tho

It's better to start with the head whenever you can, then drag your mouse down/ left/ right slowly. That way, you always have some sort of chance of getting a headshot, while making sure the bullets generally hit.

you can spray, but as his tutorial will show you, you need to learn how to control it if you do, dont strafe, normally, as that will screw you accuracy, you need to stutter step(which is very hard to master :P )

Looks like I've got a lot of learning to do.  I just found this as well: http://imgur.com/a/m1pz2#0

i suggest you learn the callouts for the most popular maps like Dust 2. that way you can communicate with your team effectively.

other than that and what people ahve already suggested, i suggest you watch some twitch livestreams (or youtube) of some semi-pro or pro players just to learn some cool and useful tactics (looking away from flash, using smoke screens, etc.)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Looks like I've got a lot of learning to do.  I just found this as well: http://imgur.com/a/m1pz2#0

yea, and mastering those makes a INSANE difference, i still stuck totally at it, but i try my best :P seeing warowl empty an entire ak mag against a wall from 20 feet and hitting near a single spot is so cool

1 hit headshot with the AK so if you can blast off all your bullets towards their head you win :P, if you panic and start missing you are dead

i suggest you learn the callouts for the most popular maps like Dust 2. that way you can communicate with your team effectively.

other than that and what people ahve already suggested, i suggest you watch some twitch livestreams (or youtube) of some semi-pro or pro players just to learn some cool and useful tactics (looking away from flash, using smoke screens, etc.)

I watch Lirik on Twitch and he plays often, I never understand the acronyms used though.  I'll just watch a tonne of videos and streams and hopefully catch on to it all.

yea, and mastering those makes a INSANE difference, i still stuck totally at it, but i try my best  :P seeing warowl empty an entire ak mag against a wall from 20 feet and hitting near a single spot is so cool

1 hit headshot with the AK so if you can blast off all your bullets towards their head you win  :P, if you panic and start missing you are dead

Sounds intense, I'll post a vid when I'm a master  ;)

Play the inside lane and learn how to counter certain player types.  Don't overuse the crouch key.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I watch Lirik on Twitch and he plays often, I never understand the acronyms used though.  I'll just watch a tonne of videos and streams and hopefully catch on to it all.

Sounds intense, I'll post a vid when I'm a master  ;)

watching Warowl cast some of the maps should make that easy he uses them a lot, also he has some teaching vids on the map aswell :), also seeing the pro teams play is cool.

Play the inside lane and learn how to counter certain player types.  Don't overuse the crouch key.

When ever I go to shoot someone I crouch because I thought it increased accuracy, should I be strafing and learning to control my weapon more instead?

watching Warowl cast some of the maps should make that easy he uses them a lot, also he has some teaching vids on the map aswell :), also seeing the pro teams play is cool.

I subbed to TheWarOwl so I'll watch the vids he's got and start watching some new streamers, can you recommend some good streamers who play CS:GO well?

Those are super outdated and the patterns are slightly less consistent than that. But I can give you some helpful tips while I can since I play CS a whole lot.

1. Keep your crosshair at head level at all times. If you go around a corner and your crosshair is already on the guy's head(and his is not on your's) you will win that fight.

2. Don't use the default Crosshair. The warowl has a semi outdated guide on how to build your own crosshair but it works well enough.

3. Try to master your movement. it is hard to get used to but you need to basically get to the point where you will stop when shooting without consciously thinking about it.

4. Watch pro players play games. They make it very easy on the watch tab of CSGO or you can watch casts of pro games by youtubers or live games on twitch.

5. Never practice with bots. Play a lot of deathmatch so you can get a feel of shooting live players. Bots are both too easy to kill and they move very differently than humans so they are not good to practice on.

6. Callouts are important but in all honesty they are not hard to learn. Playing say 5 games on dust2 competitively and you can pick up 80-90% of them. Callouts are made to be easily recognizable.

7. Don't be afraid to lower your sensitivity/dpi. Most people play better at lower sensitivities vs higher ones so you will more than likely find you prefer a lower one when you get used to it.

8. Don't crouch until you have mastered movement. All it does is make you an easier target. Very good players sometimes use it to duck under bullets but at low level play it will just get you killed.

9. Get an optical mouse. 

I am sorry to say but I have seen a few tips given here that I would not recommend you do. I won't call anyone out but I'd just suggest watching the Warowl or Adren for tips and take other tips with a grain of salt until you have a better feel for the game. A lot of the tips out there are good but some of them are just bad to the point where you are better not using them and it is hard for a new player to tell the difference.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

When ever I go to shoot someone I crouch because I thought it increased accuracy, should I be strafing and learning to control my weapon more instead?

I subbed to TheWarOwl so I'll watch the vids he's got and start watching some new streamers, can you recommend some good streamers who play CS:GO well?

crouching does not increase it no :) being still does 

Crouching does not affect accuracy at all. Spray pattern is always the same and it does so close to nothing to bullet deviation it just does not mean anything.

As for streams NiPtv is a good source for pro games. Otherwise you can check out hltv.org or csgo lounge for the latest pro games going on.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

and yes as Osmium said, low DPI on a optical mouse with low sense makes a huge difference in my opinion :) and many others.

-Snip-

Wow, thanks a lot for all of that, my dpi is at 600 currently and I've been meaning to get an optical mouse for a while now.  Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have to keep coming back and referring to your tips  :)

crouching does not increase it no :) being still does 

Alright, I'll bear that in mind when I play, thanks.

Crouching does not affect accuracy at all. Spray pattern is always the same and it does so close to nothing to bullet deviation it just does not mean anything.

As for streams NiPtv is a good source for pro games. Otherwise you can check out hltv.org or csgo lounge for the latest pro games going on.

That's great to know, I've always though it did as the reticule decreases is size when I crouch.  I'll take a look at some of those streams next time I'm on.

the exacts on dpi and sense is up to each person and there are big differences between pros. I wont tell you what to use, but for reference Warowl uses 450dpi and 1.6 sense, and i use the same right now to get better at the game and until then i dont feel the need to try new stuff :P

the exacts on dpi and sense is up to each person and there are big differences between pros. I wont tell you what to use, but for reference Warowl uses 450dpi and 1.6 sense, and i use the same right now to get better at the game and until then i dont feel the need to try new stuff :P

I'm using 600dpi at the moment which I feel quite comfortable with, I don't really like deviating from the sensitivity I'm used to.

I'm using 600dpi at the moment which I feel quite comfortable with, I don't really like deviating from the sensitivity I'm used to.

:) thats all good, just wanted to give you some reference points to where some others are, i find it useful to know that im not WAY off the mark :P i see some using 1600 dpi which to me seems crazy :P