HDD lifespan suggestions

msacco

Hey, I recently bought 2x8TB hard drives after I had 2x2TB HDD failures(had a small data loss), I plan on using them both to backup each other in case of a failure, not sure if I want RAID1 or just a simple backup every x time.

No' my question is, what would be the best way to extend my HDD's lifespan? Should I have both of them running 24/7(while one should be on idle generally), should I switch between them every day so one HDD is off for a day while the other is running? (could also be a few days, a week, idk...).

Is there any 'best practice' here? Or Is should just have them both running and that's it?

Thanks!

if you wan't the best reliable, durable backup, consider getting a SLC ssd and backing up the files to it

or if you can spend some money on a tape drives

22 minutes ago, msacco said:

should I switch between them every day so one HDD is off for a day while the other is running? (could also be a few days, a week, idk...).

you mean one for backup and the other for working?, if so, i personally would use one or working and the other for backup (i would backup it daily or weekly), so only one drive will be switched on always (while i work) and the other will not be switched on very often...

hey! i know to use a computer

14 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

if you wan't the best reliable, durable backup, consider getting a SLC ssd and backing up the files to it

or if you can spend some money on a tape drives

you mean one for backup and the other for working?, if so, i personally would use one or working and the other for backup (i would backup it daily or weekly), so only one drive will be switched on always (while i work) and the other will not be switched on very often...

Well I already bought the 2x8TB hard drives, so that was expensive enough I guess, the chances of both of them dying at the same time is possible, but very small, so hopefully that will be enough, I'll also have another smaller backup for the really important stuff.

And yeah that's basically the idea, I actually thought of switching between them, but if you think that having one that's always running and one only for backup is better then that's great. So should I just like whenever I want to backup(daily, weekly), connect the backup drive, backup the data and then just disconnect it? I know that powering on things could shorten the lifespan as well, so basically it's a power on/off vs moving parts discussion I guess?

Thanks 🙂