CTD issues

Styxx

Hi guys. I'd appreciate if somebody could help me out with this. 

TL;DR - Games crashing, how do I find out why?

I'm sure this is a common issue with many potential causes, so what I'm really looking for here is somebody to help me understand what's going on and get to the root of the issue. I had a look around the forum, there are a number of topics like this but none seem to have working conclusions. 

I've had a number of issues with games crashing to desktop. My machine is fairly new, built last summer. Specs are:

• Windows 10 Home
  • MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Wifi (BIOS E7C84AMS.115)
  • Ryzen 9 3900X (no OC)
  • 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (XMP profile 2, 3200MHz)
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB (main drive)
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (storage drive)
  • Crucial CT240BX200SSD1 (storage drive)
  • Corsair RM650X

I built this back in August. It's my first build, as far as I know everything went smoothly but there's a chance I've missed something in terms of like a BIOS setting or something. However when I first built it I ran various benchmarks and found no real issues - at least nothing I couldn't find a fix for at the time. My main purpose at the time was to make a machine for video editing, specifically using Adobe Premiere Pro, but I enjoy gaming so I'm using it for that too. I use the Studio Drivers - Premiere doesn't seem to like the Game Drivers. However, I have tried switching to Game Drivers and this makes no difference. I'm not running any overclocks except XMP, and I have PBO switched off.

So far I've played Command and Conquer 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout New Vegas and Lego Ninjago. All through Steam except C&C. C&C was a while back, I don't remember having any issues with it, and I've been playing MK9 for ages on and off and I don't remember it crashing - if it happened once or twice I may have ignored it. SotTR did crash a few times - I put this down to graphics settings, lowered them and got past it. FNV crashed on me a few times but I put this down to the game being buggy - there were at least 2 crashes in specific places that are known issues with the game. Ninjago is proving to be a real pain in the ass though. I've been playing it about 3 days (it was free a while back on Steam, and I wanted to play something light hearted after 200 hours of Fallout) and it just keeps dying. Sometimes I'll play it for 30-40 minutes before it crashes, sometimes it'll crash before it gets to the main menu. It never gives a warning or dialogue, just straight up crash to desktop. 

I've tried updating Nvidia drivers, and using both Studio and Gaming drivers. I've also tried lowering the graphics settings, but frankly I don't think this machine should have any issue running that game. Recommended (not minimum) specs for the game are AMD FX-6100, 4GB RAM, GTX750Ti, so I shouldn't really be having issues. If I have to sack off this game I don't really care, but I don't want this to be an issue with other games. As I said, I'd really like to know what's going on. I've seen that there are some entries in Event Viewer around the time of crash, but this isn't really my area of expertise so the messages don't mean much to me - I'm not even sure if the ones I've found are relevant. One thing I haven't done is update the BIOS, but I'm reluctant to do that without knowing what the issue is. I've looked through the update notes of the more recent BIOS versions and nothing that's been updated points towards PCIE or GPU issues/improvements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i would try with xmp disabled, and 1 stick of ram at a time to rule out ram. i'm assuming temps for cpu and gpu are good?

On 2/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, bmx6454 said:

i would try with xmp disabled, and 1 stick of ram at a time to rule out ram. i'm assuming temps for cpu and gpu are good?

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried this evening with both sticks of RAM with XMP switched off, it crashed about an hour in but definitely lasted longer and only crashed once. I'll try running one stick at a time over the next couple of days. I ran Memtest a couple of days ago and it came back with no issues. CPU temp topped out at 49 today so that's fine. GPU hit 70, not great but I don't think it should be causing issues.

16 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

If it sits idle, and does a random reboot, it points to the psu.

You mean a full system reboot? It's not doing that, just crashing to desktop. Certainly not while the system is idle. 

On 2/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, bmx6454 said:

For the benefit of anybody searching for answers, I tried this and it didn't help unfortunately.