Replacing GPU fan Asus Strix 980  

MadCharger

Since upgrading GPU is a joke right now I turned to OC to extend the lifespan of my current system. So far I have had some success with the system i general. My GPU is a GTX 980 STRIX 4GB DirectCU II OC that I get to run stable at 1513MHz and memory speed at 4099MHz. I use the standard cooler and it stays around 70-71°C. 

The fans are silent when they spinn up and stay at speed but when spinning down they make a loud squeeky noise. I plan to replace them but don't know if I should order "original" fans from Ebay or similar or just get some and strap on with cable ties. For the second option I need to know what connector and layout I need to make a Y-cable for some stock fans.

Any good ideas? 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:02 AM, MadCharger said:

Since upgrading GPU is a joke right now I turned to OC to extend the lifespan of my current system. So far I have had some success with the system i general. My GPU is a GTX 980 STRIX 4GB DirectCU II OC that I get to run stable at 1513MHz and memory speed at 4099MHz. I use the standard cooler and it stays around 70-71°C. 

The fans are silent when they spinn up and stay at speed but when spinning down they make a loud squeeky noise. I plan to replace them but don't know if I should order "original" fans from Ebay or similar or just get some and strap on with cable ties. For the second option I need to know what connector and layout I need to make a Y-cable for some stock fans.

Any good ideas? 

If you are not interested in aftermarket fans for quieter operation like some noctua fans, I recommend getting some “original” fans from a seller with good reviews