PSU custom cable recommendation

zarrexx

Hi, I recently been able to order an RTX 3080 FE, which has the 12pin cable. I currently have a Corsair SF750 and I want to buy a custom sleeved cable to avoid using the ugly adapter. I also want to get a direct PSU cable and not an extension. I have a question which I'm wondering:

1. Should I get a dual 8pin to 12pin connector?
2. Or should I get a single 8pin to to 12pin connector?

The reason I am not sure is because the cable currently the cable that came with the PSU is an 8pin to dual 8pin, which would go directly into the nvidia adapter, so essentially there would still only be 1 8pin connector coming from the PSU. As such, it seems that the double 8 pin to 12 pin is unnecessary and too much power? Would that be right or not? Also could someone elaborate on their reasoning?

Thanks.

Cable I want to get:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Custom-Sleeved-PCIE-Modular-Cable-for-NVIDIA-RTX-30-Series-Mini-12-Pin.html?fbclid=IwAR3BxI6YKOzN6aasMsKqhbkpSVnPtFA_Ts18jcnhl-fCN-BrgiLT2_cVJ0k

25 minutes ago, zarrexx said:

1. Should I get a dual 8pin to 12pin connector?
2. Or should I get a single 8pin to to 12pin connector?

You DEFINITELY should not be running the 12-pin off a single 8-pin modular connection.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

You DEFINITELY should not be running the 12-pin off a single 8-pin modular connection.

Thank you, although I'm confused because based on the cable that I got, I would have been running a single cable anyway right? Based on the fact that the PSU comes with cables that go 8pin(from PSU) to 2 8pin (to GPU). And according to corsair it is ok to run this cable to an adapter (2 8pin to single 12pin), therefore we have a total of 1 8pin coming from PSU based on corsairs recommendation?

55 minutes ago, zarrexx said:

Thank you, although I'm confused because based on the cable that I got, I would have been running a single cable anyway right? Based on the fact that the PSU comes with cables that go 8pin(from PSU) to 2 8pin (to GPU). And according to corsair it is ok to run this cable to an adapter (2 8pin to single 12pin), therefore we have a total of 1 8pin coming from PSU based on corsairs recommendation?

Just because the PSU comes with a cable that has two PCIe connectors on it, doesn't mean it's appropriate to use in every scenario. 

I have not found anywhere where Corsair says it's ok to run a single cable with two PCIe connectors to a single 12-pin connector.  Can you provide a link?