high latency and high compression with steam link app on raspberry pi

so basically what i am doing is using a raspberry pi with the steam link app to put games onto my tv. Because my internet speed is not even close to be doing steam link wirelessly I have connected an ethernet cable to the raspberry pi directly from my computer. And I figured that since it is connected directly with a cat5e cable that there would be next to 0 compression and next to 0 latency but there is so much playing racing games is nearly impossible

I can send photos if you want me to of my setup btw.

If your Raspberry Pi is connected directly to the computer then my guess is that the Raspberry Pi can't keep up with the task of decoding the incoming video. I have a small Android TV stick and I can play games via Steam Link on it just fine (latency isn't noticeable) - played NFS Heat, CarX Drift Racing, Euro Truck Simulator 2,  Shadow of War and much more on it with no problems.

9 minutes ago, Alex Kovacs said:

If your Raspberry Pi is connected directly to the computer then my guess is that the Raspberry Pi can't keep up with the task of decoding the incoming video. I have a small Android TV stick and I can play games via Steam Link on it just fine (latency isn't noticeable) - played NFS Heat, CarX Drift Racing, Euro Truck Simulator 2,  Shadow of War and much more on it with no problems.

thanks for the advice, i will try a different power adpater because right now it is plugged into the tvs usb port so i will try a dedicated power adapter

Just now, Funnysubject said:

thanks for the advice, i will try a different power adpater because right now it is plugged into the tvs usb port so i will try a dedicated power adapter

You didn't specify which Raspberry Pi you own but that definitely sounds like a potential problem, especially if you have the 4.

1 minute ago, Alex Kovacs said:

You didn't specify which Raspberry Pi you own but that definitely sounds like a potential problem, especially if you have the 4.

currently using raspberry pi 3 model b