Ryzen 7 5800X

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

Have a look at these 2 videos.

How to Remove Liquid Metal from a CPU & IHS - YouTube

How to safely apply liquid metal to things. - YouTube

Also, please remember to quote people so we can see that you replied.

Hello. I have installed the new components to a final build. Unfortunately, I could not see the problem coming, because I was using the whole time Silent mode.

At the moment I am experiencing some unusual temperature of the CPU when I try to stress the CPU with Prime95 or OCCT applications.

I ran the stress test for three minutes and I could see that CPU was at 90 degrees of Celsius or 194 Fahrenheit what I do believe is crazy. 

The power settings I used were balanced power mode with minimum processor state at 0% and maximum at 100%.

My question is simple. What am I supposed to do? Some people tried to undervoltage the CPU and it worked, but should I actually do that with brand new CPU? Should not it work properly? I have seen some people getting the same or 1-2 degrees of Celsius less with Water Coolers and that is just crazy. According to AMD these CPUs are able to withstand 90-95 degrees, but like....it also diminishes the life expectancy of the CPU itself. I was also researching about where the whole heat thing is located and it is not in the middle, but somewhere around the corners of the CPU.

My PC build:

Ryzen 7 5800x

GT 1030

32GB Ram DDR4 3600MHz HyperX

Seasonic GX 750 Gold

Fractal Design 7 Compact

Dark Rock Pro 4

MSI B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI

My fans: 2x140mm Arctic P14 in front of the case, 1x140MM P14 on the upper side, 1x120MM P12 at the back side.

The thermal paste I am using is Condoctonaut and I have also a following picture of how the thermal paste looks like when it was installed.

The cooler was installed properly, if I used more power I would break the MB for sure.

Some people say that the problem are:

1. 1xCCX + I/O

2. BIOS is pushing the voltage too high

3. Stock voltage

4. Bad piece

TEST9.png

TEST8.png

TEST7.png

TEST6.png

TEST5.png

TEST4.png

TEST3.png

TEST2.png

TEST1.png

q.jpg

You didn't use any thermal paste, but liquid metal. Applying liquid metal is completely different from thermal paste. You need to do a very thin layer on both the CPU and Cooler before mounting your cooler. Maybe this was your problem.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Well. I only “paint” the CPU and then attached the cooler. 

1 minute ago, Menarini said:

Well. I only “paint” the CPU and then attached the cooler. 

With liquid metal you need to apply it to the CPU AND the cooler. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Should I just remove it completely and do it all again? If yes, how can I remove this current layer?

What do you mean by thin layer? Should I just try to make sure it will be very thin like not glowing metal, but just like something that is dry?

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

But I applied the liquid metal on the part where is written the Ryzen 7 5800X. On his video it’s a bit different. 

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

And also the video how to apply, then do not use it on the side where cooler is attached

3 minutes ago, Menarini said:

But I applied the liquid metal on the part where is written the Ryzen 7 5800X. On his video it’s a bit different. 

Yes they apply it somewhere else, i only linked that video to show how to apply it in general. For your use case normal thermal compound is normally used. Something like Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut or Arctic MX-4.

Just now, Menarini said:

And also the video how to apply, then do not use it on the side where cooler is attached

The point is, it is applied to both surfaces of the things you want to conduct heat between.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The point is, it is applied to both surfaces of the things you want to conduct heat between.

So if I want to use liquid metal, then it is supposed to be on both cpu and cooler and if I want to use it on cpu only, then kryonaut/hydronaut/MX-4

3 minutes ago, Menarini said:

So if I want to use liquid metal, then it is supposed to be on both cpu and cooler and if I want to use it on cpu only, then kryonaut/hydronaut/MX-4

You use EITHER liquid metal (Conductonaut) OR a normal thermal paste (Hydronaut). Not both.

If you want to use liquid metal, you have to apply it to BOTH sufaces of the devices you want to cool (CPU IHS and cooler coldplate). Here you can't rely on the cooler's mounting pressure to properly apply the liquid metal to both surfaces. That's why you need to apply it to both.

If you want to use normal thermal paste, you only have to apply it to the CPU IHS and then mount the cooler on it. The pressure from the cooler will be enough to spread the paste out.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You use EITHER liquid metal (Conductonaut) OR a normal thermal paste (Hydronaut). Not both.

If you want to use liquid metal, you have to apply it to BOTH sufaces of the devices you want to cool (CPU IHS and cooler coldplate). Here you can't rely on the cooler's mounting pressure to properly apply the liquid metal to both surfaces. That's why you need to apply it to both.

If you want to use normal thermal paste, you only have to apply it to the CPU IHS and then mount the cooler on it. The pressure from the cooler will be enough to spread the paste out.

Should I do it completely or just leave at least 3/4mm space around the IHS

Just now, Menarini said:

Should I do it completely or just leave at least 3/4mm space around the IHS

Cover the whole thing. Any space you leave empty will not conduct heat away from the CPU.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Cover the whole thing. Any space you leave empty will not conduct heat away from the CPU.

But what if I attach the cooler and due to pressure it will be flooding around the IHS down to sillicone

25 minutes ago, Menarini said:

But what if I attach the cooler and due to pressure it will be flooding around the IHS down to sillicone

That's the main problem and reason why you wouldn't want liquid metal if you can't work against that. It's conductive and because of this can short components. I will always recommend conventional thermal paste for that reason. Thermal performance is also not really noticeable better with liquid metal.

My suggestion: Just go ahead and use something liky Hydronaut. You can't do anything wrong with this.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

That's the main problem and reason why you wouldn't want liquid metal if you can't work against that. It's conductive and because of this can short components. I will always recommend conventional thermal paste for that reason. Thermal performance is also not really noticeable better with liquid metal.

My suggestion: Just go ahead and use something liky Hydronaut. You can't do anything wrong with this.

If I buy Hydronaut, then just one dot in the middle and it is fine? I cleaned the processor, but I cannot get rid of tiny grayish square on it...the middle part is almost like new, but around the core it’s a bit grayish. 

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Is 1g of Hydronaut enough?

26 minutes ago, Menarini said:

If I buy Hydronaut, then just one dot in the middle and it is fine? I cleaned the processor, but I cannot get rid of tiny grayish square on it...the middle part is almost like new, but around the core it’s a bit grayish. 

Just a pea-sized dot in the middle will be enough. When you mount the cooler it will spread it out accordingly. 1g should suffice for that.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Just a pea-sized dot in the middle will be enough. When you mount the cooler it will spread it out accordingly. 1g should suffice for that.

What will I do if it happens again?

set max voltage to 1.35V or go with negative one? Some people reported BSOD with adjusted negative V...

3 hours ago, Menarini said:

what I'm shocked no one has said is that you did nothing wrong with the thermal paste...I highly doubt you'll see more than a 1 or 2 degree difference by 'painting both sides' as was said. prime95 is not a normal use case. It stresses the CPU far more than any use it's going to see day to day. 90 degrees on the 5800x is NORMAL for that stress test. \

you are doing all this work for nothing. the 5800x runs hot, end of story. best of luck

57 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

what I'm shocked no one has said is that you did nothing wrong with the thermal paste...I highly doubt you'll see more than a 1 or 2 degree difference by 'painting both sides' as was said. prime95 is not a normal use case. It stresses the CPU far more than any use it's going to see day to day. 90 degrees on the 5800x is NORMAL for that stress test. \

you are doing all this work for nothing. the 5800x runs hot, end of story. best of luck

Well. I had 70dgr and 20% usage. It’s just crazy.

Also Prime95...not many people have 90 degrees...usually around 80 only

On 2/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, jwwagner25 said:

I do not think it is normal to own Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler and having this issue...it’s just crazy...why did they make such a trashy CPU when it comes to its CCX point on the chip