M.2 add on card and CPU

I want to add a Hyper M.2 to my pc with 4 drives with RAID, my motherboard has 4/4x already but I need to make sure if the cpu can limit the M.2 amount, I have a threadripper 3960X, the motherboard already has 2 M.2 slots but I’m using them, I need to know if the CPU has a limit on M.2 through add on cards.

You should be fine since the card will use PCIE and Threadripper has a lot of lanes.

How will you RAID the drives?

7 minutes ago, Iphone5cisthebest said:

I want to add a Hyper M.2 to my pc with 4 drives with RAID, my motherboard has 4/4x already but I need to make sure if the cpu can limit the M.2 amount, I have a threadripper 3960X, the motherboard already has 2 M.2 slots but I’m using them, I need to know if the CPU has a limit on M.2 through add on cards.

Not an issue with your platform.

So motherboard and cpu support is only limited to support for 4/4x and enough cpu and chipset lanes?

20 minutes ago, Iphone5cisthebest said:

So motherboard and cpu support is only limited to support for 4/4x and enough cpu and chipset lanes?

Quoting from Guru3D

Threadripper 3000 brings 64 PCIe Gen4 lanes to the table, 8 of those have been reserved for the chipset link and then the chipset link brings in another 24 PCIe Gen 4 links to the table with 8 reserved for that interconnect. In total, you are looking at 88 lanes, with 72 lanes available to the end-user.

This means you should have enough room for four x16 slots and one x8 slot, but that would depend on how exactly your motherboard has allocated them.

I'm going to guess at least one of these is used by your GPU. Not sure what the existing M.2s use, but assuming your motherboard still has a free x16 slot, then you should be able to add the Hyper M.2 with 4 times 4x.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

You should be fine since the card will use PCIE and Threadripper has a lot of lanes.

How will you RAI

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Quoting from Guru3D

This means you should have enough room for four x16 slots and one x8 slot, but that would depend on how exactly your motherboard has allocated them.

I'm going to guess at least one of these is used by your GPU. Not sure what the existing M.2s use, but assuming your motherboard still has a free x16 slot, then you should be able to add the Hyper M.2 with 4 times 4x.

Linus said in one of his videos that since threadripper is 2 CPUS connected by infinity fabric there might be issues, could that be a problem for me?

8 hours ago, Iphone5cisthebest said:

Linus said in one of his videos that since threadripper is 2 CPUS connected by infinity fabric there might be issues, could that be a problem for me?

The main drawback of this design is additional latency when a core needs to e.g. access memory that is physically attached to the other core complex. So if you have a memory intensive application that isn't NUMA-aware you might face some performance penalty. Haven't really seen benchmarks about SSDs that talk about this. Probably because SSDs are typically slower than memory, so I assume the additional latency doesn't matter as much.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply