Abnormal high temps?

Hey guys,

I made a system about 4-5 months that I use. Lately I decided to try to overclock for some extra performance. Under stress testing, I got some abnormal temperatures compared to tech sites and other people around on forums. I run a Intel i7-4770k stock clocks and a Asus GTX 770. When I stress tested the 4770k, I got temps at 90-95 degrees celsius cooled with a h100i (!) in Prime 95. My Asus GPU hits the thershold at 80 degrees stock  in Furmark. This makes me wondering how everybody else is getting these overclocks and still remain at a good temp. For additional cooling, I got everthing housed in a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. 2 Noctua NF-A14 bringing air in as well as I turned a Corsair AF 140 around to be intake fan from the back, just for possitive airflow. 

Hope for some good answers and solutions for what I can do to improve my temps.

4770k always had a bad thermal paste under the heatsink.

Try delid it. Or maybe you put the cooler wrong on the CPU, try to Reapply the cooler on it

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Reseat the CPU cooler. Corsair i Series coolers have a retarded mounting mechanism that often leads to the block sitting half on the CPU. It happened to me. I reseated and got a 15 degree drop @ 4.2Ghz.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

4770k always had a bad thermal paste under the heatsink.

Try delid it. Or maybe you put the cooler wrong on the CPU, try to Reapply the cooler on it

Deliding is not an option as it is my first computer, and I´m am quite new to the overclocking thang.

Reseat the CPU cooler. Corsair i Series coolers have a retarded mounting mechanism that often leads to the block sitting half on the CPU. It happened to me. I reseated and got a 15 degree drop @ 4.2Ghz.

Done this three times already, as well as reseting the thermal compound. Didn´t get any improvements.

dont use prime for haswell and dont use Furmark at all.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

dont use prime for haswell and dont use Furmark at all.

What should i use then.

What should i use then.

Aida64, occt for Haswell and games/synthetic benchmarks like heaven and valley for gpus.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Use OCCT to stress test. Reseat cooler as said before. You should get around 65C with stock clocks. Check what volts are when you are on max CPU use. Those make big difference with 4770K.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Aida64, occt for Haswell and games/synthetic benchmarks like heaven and valley for gpus.

One of my cores actually hit 90 degrees, causing the test to stop after just 5 minutes.

Use OCCT to stress test. Reseat cooler as said before. You should get around 65C with stock clocks. Check what volts are when you are on max CPU use. Those make big difference with 4770K.

What do you mean by reseating it? I don´t know if I get what you mean.

What do you mean by reseating it? I don´t know if I get what you mean.

Reseat = Take cooler off CPU. Remove thermal paste and clean both CPU and copper plate of cooler. Apply new thermal paste and place cooler back. Tighten it and try again.

Most times when I read high temps on H100/i are because it has been bit loose.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Reseat = Take cooler off CPU. Remove thermal paste and clean both CPU and copper plate of cooler. Apply new thermal paste and place cooler back. Tighten it and try again.

Think I fix it this time. So after some searching on the interwebs, I noticed that many people were complaining about loose mounting with the H100i. I then went full MacGyver and used the washer from the screws to the H100i and used it with the stand off screws for the cooler. It is much tighter now and temps are now topping 75 in occt.

Think I fix it this time. So after some searching on the interwebs, I noticed that many people were complaining about loose mounting with the H100i. I then went full MacGyver and used the washer from the screws to the H100i and used it with the stand off screws for the cooler. It is much tighter now and temps are now topping 75 in occt.

That sounds better. Reason why temp is still bit on high side for that cooler is because default volts being too high.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Any solution for this problem?

Any solution for this problem?

You mean volts? You have to set LLC from BIOS to highest possible and manually set volts to something under 1.2V when running on stock clocks. Finding lowest stable volts is part of OC process anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You mean volts? You have to set LLC from BIOS to highest possible and manually set volts to something under 1.2V when running on stock clocks. Finding lowest stable volts is part of OC process anyway.

Thanks, after some tutorial watching, I have started to overclock and so far I got 4,4 Ghz on 1.25 volts.