Recommended Modem/Voice Combo

dual290x

I have a family friend who might be looking for a modem/voice combo for spectrum. Are there any recommenations for one to be purchased outside or through the ISP?

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

4 hours ago, dual290x said:

I have a family friend who might be looking for a modem/voice combo for spectrum. Are there any recommenations for one to be purchased outside or through the ISP?

With cable modems its always best to find out what the ISP supports. Comcast for instance has a sizable list. That all being said, I know from experience with Comcast, they were very very very particular about voice modems that they allowed. Anything outside of that might work for internet but would not work for voice. 

Id contact spectrum. That all being said, I was under the impression that Spectrum only charged monthly if they had to provide a router? As they provide standard cable modems instead of the shitty gateways other providers use, and they provided the modem for free to use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

With cable modems its always best to find out what the ISP supports. Comcast for instance has a sizable list. That all being said, I know from experience with Comcast, they were very very very particular about voice modems that they allowed. Anything outside of that might work for internet but would not work for voice. 

Id contact spectrum. That all being said, I was under the impression that Spectrum only charged monthly if they had to provide a router? As they provide standard cable modems instead of the shitty gateways other providers use, and they provided the modem for free to use. 

You commented before I could update the post. After a discussion on reddit I found out that Spectrum does not allow outside voice modems period. Everything must be theirs and they provide free modems that cover voice and internet. Thank you for your comment regardless.

We use to have roadrunner until spectrum bought them out. It has been a while since I have dealt with this sort of thing so I am out of the loop with how things are.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

1 minute ago, dual290x said:

You commented before I could update the post. After a discussion on reddit I found out that Spectrum does not allow outside voice modems period. Everything must be theirs and they provide free modems that cover voice and internet. Thank you for your comment regardless.

As long as you have a standard cable modem and not a shit gateway you should be fine regardless. Are you having issues with your connection? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

As long as you have a standard cable modem and not a shit gateway you should be fine regardless. Are you having issues with your connection? 

We have an old as hell modem that is going to be replaced because I just bought a Spectrum provided modem to replace my old as hell modem that connects to another modem for internet. It's weird. I will try to post pictures (I always forget to make pictures as I am too involved and frustrated to do so). I am trying to consolidate my communication shelf while I think about where to put a small rackmount cabinet. I was mostly asking as I misunderstood a family friend and thought they were trying to do the same.

ORLY?

6 minutes ago, dual290x said:

eplace my old as hell modem that connects to another modem for internet. It's weird.

Dual modems on cable internet is kinda a thing. Not common but not uncommon. Lots of people used to do this on Comcast because they were literal dicks about people bringing voice modems on to their network. So people used to use the Comcast provided one for voice and a secondary for internet. Now Comcast has a bit better support for customer owned voice modems where you can just run ONE device instead of two. 

To be honest the best day of our lives was when my mom decided to cancel the phone service and go cellular only. It was a lot easier to tell Comcast to take its $10 a month charge and stick it. Been running on the SB6141 for at least 5 years. Now its like $15 to $25 (If you get unlimited data)  a month for a cable gateway rental. So to say we have saved a ton is no understatement. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Dual modems on cable internet is kinda a thing. Not common but not uncommon. Lots of people used to do this on Comcast because they were literal dicks about people bringing voice modems on to their network. So people used to use the Comcast provided one for voice and a secondary for internet. Now Comcast has a bit better support for customer owned voice modems where you can just run ONE device instead of two. 

To be honest the best day of our lives was when my mom decided to cancel the phone service and go cellular only. It was a lot easier to tell Comcast to take its $10 a month charge and stick it. Been running on the SB6141 for at least 5 years. Now its like $15 to $25 (If you get unlimited data)  a month for a cable gateway rental. So to say we have saved a ton is no understatement. 

If we drop our phone, the price would go up and would be more than if we had kept the phone line. We are praying that AT&T will get fiber to us so we can start to have competition (they only provide DSL so we are stuck with Spectrum). People may like that they don't have contracts with Spectrum but in reality they know we are stuck with them so they just shrug their shoulders and say "okay" and shut us off. We can't negotiate with them. If we use cellular data we would end up paying more than our internet as well.

ORLY?

1 minute ago, dual290x said:

If we drop our phone, the price would go up and would be more than if we had kept the phone line. We are praying that AT&T will get fiber to us so we can start to have competition (they only provide DSL so we are stuck with Spectrum). People may like that they don't have contracts with Spectrum but in reality they know we are stuck with them so they just shrug their shoulders and say "okay" and shut us off. We can't negotiate with them. If we use cellular data we would end up paying more than our internet as well.

Im in the same boat, but worse. AT&T doesn't service this side of my city any more. We cant even get wired voice services thru them. So Comcast is the only option. We pay $86/m for 200/10 with 1.2 TB cap. We could be paying less if we signed a contact or if we allowed autopay / paperless. But after they took $300 one month from my sister by mistake. Yeah, we dont trust them for auto pay. 

Also dont hold your breath for AT&T Fiber. Unless you live in a well off community, they probably wont run it. And even then they will cherry pick the areas very carefully. Only the rich get Fiber. The rest are being pushed to 5G, when ever they get their network up and running. Like Verizon, I dont think AT&T is going to be focusing on DSL or wired line phone service much longer. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im in the same boat, but worse. AT&T doesn't service this side of my city any more. We cant even get wired voice services thru them. So Comcast is the only option. We pay $86/m for 200/10 with 1.2 TB cap. We could be paying less if we signed a contact or if we allowed autopay / paperless. But after they took $300 one month from my sister by mistake. Yeah, we dont trust them for auto pay. 

Also dont hold your breath for AT&T Fiber. Unless you live in a well off community, they probably wont run it. And even then they will cherry pick the areas very carefully. Only the rich get Fiber. The rest are being pushed to 5G, when ever they get their network up and running. Like Verizon, I dont think AT&T is going to be focusing on DSL or wired line phone service much longer. 

I understand the first time, but when something like that happens a second time I stop it.

They already laid fiber and have people connected in the neighborhood behind us (we are connected by a road). Someone had talked to a worker and our neighborhood is queued so it is a waiting game until they get the green light. I figure within the next three years we will get connected. AT&T has been burying fiber all over town. My rough calculation is that in ten years most of the county will have fiber.

Honestly I believe that if they went door to door and got a down payment of sorts and/or got people to sign a contract that they will connect once available and the customer pays X amount for Y amount of time, it would allow them to build up the funds to lay more fiber down.

ORLY?

2 hours ago, dual290x said:

AT&T

Just keep in mind its not all sun shine and rose. My problem with AT&T Fiber is the shitty gateway they make you use. You dont get much of an option there. There is no true "Bridge" mode for the device, they do have a pass thru mode, but Ive read that its so so. Why they cant be like Verizon and just install an ONT and allow the user to use what ever equipment they want is beyond me.