High end computer lags on desktop or simple tasks

Hi everyone, having a little problem with my new pc:

Specs:

970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2

i9 9900k

RTX 2080 Super

32Gbs ddr4 3200mhz CL16 RAM

I am pretty sure the lag is not due to old or sub-par hardware given the above specs. The problem occurs when hitting "open" on a game in steam and then moving my mouse, it glitches across the screen and then works fine. It can also occur sometimes when dragging a window around or using my keyboard after a period of innactivity. Please let me know if this is a common problem or something I shouldn't worry about + fixes if it is an issue.

2 hours ago, NZFlmkr said:

Hi everyone, having a little problem with my new pc:

Specs:

970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2

i9 9900k

RTX 2080 Super

32Gbs ddr4 3200mhz CL16 RAM

I am pretty sure the lag is not due to old or sub-par hardware given the above specs. The problem occurs when hitting "open" on a game in steam and then moving my mouse, it glitches across the screen and then works fine. It can also occur sometimes when dragging a window around or using my keyboard after a period of innactivity. Please let me know if this is a common problem or something I shouldn't worry about + fixes if it is an issue.

Temps?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:26 AM, Bombastinator said:

Temps?

@Bombastinator Thanks for your response. Idle temps are 36-39 for CPU and 44 for GPU. Celcius. I'm using a Kraken X liquid cooler for CPU.

1 minute ago, NZFlmkr said:

@Bombastinator Thanks for your response. Idle temps are 36-39 for CPU and 44 for GPU. Celcius. I'm using a Kraken X liquid cooler for CPU.

Do you have the latest update of Windows? Had simmilar problems in the last month and was due to a known bug with the more recent Windows versions, but was fixed in the lates update...

2 minutes ago, IcyFox said:

Do you have the latest update of Windows? Had simmilar problems in the last month and was due to a known bug with the more recent Windows versions, but was fixed in the lates update...

@IcyFoxHi, yep, installed that as I was setting up.

Just now, NZFlmkr said:

@IcyFoxHi, yep, installed that as I was setting up.

Are all the parts new or have you bought them used? Seeing as you're getting lag when opening up programs, I'd pin this to a RAM/SSD issue. Have you tried running MEMTEST for a few passes to see if the memory has any issues?

2 minutes ago, IcyFox said:

Are all the parts new or have you bought them used? Seeing as you're getting lag when opening up programs, I'd pin this to a RAM/SSD issue. Have you tried running MEMTEST for a few passes to see if the memory has any issues?

@IcyFoxAll parts are second hand so I'll do that test now, thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, NZFlmkr said:

@IcyFoxAll parts are second hand so I'll do that test now, thanks for the help.

Do that, if MEMTEST detects any errors at all, it's a RAM issue. Also try running a disk check through the Windows terminal

are you using a wireless mouse and keyboard? I have a few different wireless mice that are fine but one in particular behaves like you describe. It's a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that connect to the same receiver. Don't know if it's the wireless frequency or signal or something but I suppose if you aren't using wireless then this info is useless lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 4:44 AM, Shabba said:

are you using a wireless mouse and keyboard? I have a few different wireless mice that are fine but one in particular behaves like you describe. It's a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that connect to the same receiver. Don't know if it's the wireless frequency or signal or something but I suppose if you aren't using wireless then this info is useless lol

@ShabbaHi, yes I am using a wireless microsoft designer keyboard. Noticed I had the same lag problem in my last compute too. I'll try using a cabled keyboard and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks!