CPU temps on the 5800X with air cooling!

Just wanna know what temps you got from air cooling your 5800X, IF you decided to do so!

5 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

Just wanna know what temps you got from air cooling your 5800X, IF you decided to do so!

It'll all depends on the workload, cooler you have, your room temperature and climate, airflow of the case, ect. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

It'll all depends on the workload, cooler you have, your room temperature and climate, airflow of the case, ect. 

Yep, I know that. I have one after all, not what I asked though.

1 minute ago, Nexblitzer said:

Yep, I know that. I have one after all, not what I asked though.

I know, I didn't really know why you would post a topic like this unless you were looking in to buying one. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

3 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I know, I didn't really know why you would post a topic like this unless you were looking in to buying one. 

Well, you see. I know that it's a hot running chip, Mine runs at a maX of 81 underload with a 360mm AIO. I wanted to see what peoples Air cooler results are, in relation, as the mounting force and of course heat spreading is all different.

Just now, Nexblitzer said:

Well, you see. I know that it's a hot running chip, Mine runs at a maX of 81 underload with a 360mm AIO. I wanted to see what peoples Air cooler results are, in relation, as the mounting force and of course heat spreading is all different.

Unless you're running on an OC it shouldn't be that high, coming from what I've seen, and the fact that my 10700k at 5ghz maxes out at ~93c on prime95- on a 120mm aio

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Unless you're running on an OC it shouldn't be that high, coming from what I've seen, and the fact that my 10700k at 5ghz maxes out at ~93c on prime95- on a 120mm aio

Yeah but that's an entirely different chip, with a centred monolithic die. The 5800X  has One CCD/CCX  On one side of the chip, along with the I/O die on the bottom. Also 7nm vs 14nm, BIG difference.

17 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

Yeah but that's an entirely different chip, with a centred monolithic die. The 5800X  has One CCD/CCX  On one side of the chip, along with the I/O die on the bottom. Also 7nm vs 14nm, BIG difference.

It's just what I have on hand. My chip likely draws around 100w more than yours, and is on a 120mm aio, yet it's only about 10c hotter than yours. Let's be real here. 

Still, It's a completely different set of circumstances although I get your point,

I am getting a 5800x soon and will be putting a Deepcool Assassin III on it. Hope it works out 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 2/12/2021 at 8:16 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

It's just what I have on hand. My chip likely draws around 100w more than yours, and is on a 120mm aio, yet it's only about 10c hotter than yours. Let's be real here. 

But the thermal density of the 5800x 8a way higher. I don't have one on hand, but I'm willing to get it will be hard to cool.

I slapped the deep cool assassin 3 on my 5ghz 1.38v 8700k and it handles it fine, but that doesn't mean it will work well on the 5800x.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

But the thermal density of the 5800x 8a way higher. I don't have one on hand, but I'm willing to get it will be hard to cool.

I slapped the deep cool assassin 3 on my 5ghz 1.38v 8700k and it handles it fine, but that doesn't mean it will work well on the 5800x.

You cooler may work better then mine, who knows. It is a very hard chip to cool though, I get around 36-40 degree idles temps, and any little interaction with my PC causes constant temperature spikes.

2 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

You cooler may work better then mine, who knows. It is a very hard chip to cool though, I get around 36-40 degree idles temps, and any little interaction with my PC causes constant temperature spikes.

The more I read about this chip the more I want to try to refuse delivery and refund it for a 5900x.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Sure, but then you also don't have any evidence that the contrary isn't true either. A 8700k isn't exactly a 10700k, and a assasin III isn't exactly a 120mm aio... 

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

The more I read about this chip the more I want to try to refuse delivery and refund it for a 5900x.

I mean it's not that great of a value proposition. It's temps are fairly similar to the 5900x, but it has (well, slightly)  lower clocks and less cores, the value is worse than with the 5900x, It's just overall in a bad spot. 

7 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Sure, but then you also don't have any evidence that the contrary isn't true either. A 8700k isn't exactly a 10700k, and a assasin III isn't exactly a 120mm aio... 

I'm just saying that there's good reasons that the 5800x may be harder to cool than the 10700k or the 5900x even.

Less density since it gets two CCXs to spread out the thermals

Mine hits 90C after 5-10 minutes of cinebench R23, all stock settings with a fuma2.  It idles low 30s.  In gaming, which is the least of what I use my PC for, but also the most demanding it stays low 70s......  which is 100 percent fine.  I could probably shave a few C's off the cinebench temps with a bigger cooler and better application of paste.

The 'value' argument is getting stale.  It has been explained why this processor is proportionately more expensive than the next higher and lower.  All I see is basically (just about) the fastest processor on the market.  450 dollars is a bargain.  What makes more sense, this, or spending 100 dollars more for 4 more cores that most people, or at least that I, won't use?

I have  stock 5800X with EK Basic 240 AIO. I hit 82°C after 10 minutes(11 passes) of CB R23. Idle is 35-40°C Also case is NZXT H510 which is less than perfect for airflow.  Honestly it seems fine to me. I saw it can be made run cooler with undervolting so I might try that.

Screenshot (2).png

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

6 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

might want to look into getting a 240 AIO minimum. I tried using nh_c14s with two 140mm fans and it was nearly unusable. with a 240mm AIO it's doable, but still gets up to 85c on all-core cinebench. regularly at 50 or 60 just doing web browsing or other normal things, and yes it was a good mount. for comparison in the same system with same cooler, my 5900 is around 20c cooler at all times, including cinebench all-core. 

the only reason I still have the 5800 and can't let go is because it scores way better single-core than the 5900, and easily gets to 5.1ghz with PBO/curve optimizer yet the 5900 cannot reach 5.0. lame. 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:27 AM, Nexblitzer said:

Same here. It is just crazy. My cooler is Dark Rock Pro 4. Just regular activity and it skyrocketed 

1 hour ago, Menarini said:

Same here. It is just crazy. My cooler is Dark Rock Pro 4. Just regular activity and it skyrocketed 

Yep, exactly same for me

10 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

Yep, exactly same for me

I dunno why it is happening.

MSI B550 MPG Gaming Edge Wifi is my MB

It's Normal for a Ryzen 5000 CPU to Hit Temps as High as 95C, Clarifies AMD. AMD's Robert Hallock has clarified that temperatures up to 90C for the higher-end Zen 3 based Ryzen 7 and 9 parts are quite normal, and won't affect the life-cycle of the chip.
As taken from another website:
"Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons," Hallock said.
So using a better cooler will yield better & longer boost performance..   Also for better idle & low usage temps, follow this guide.
It worked wonders for my 5800X that now idles 35c & games at lest than 60c on a
EK-AIO 120 D-RGB

2 hours ago, Purplehazeffc said:

It's Normal for a Ryzen 5000 CPU to Hit Temps as High as 95C, Clarifies AMD. AMD's Robert Hallock has clarified that temperatures up to 90C for the higher-end Zen 3 based Ryzen 7 and 9 parts are quite normal, and won't affect the life-cycle of the chip.
As taken from another website:
"Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons," Hallock said.
So using a better cooler will yield better & longer boost performance..   Also for better idle & low usage temps, follow this guide.
It worked wonders for my 5800X that now idles 35c & games at lest than 60c on a
EK-AIO 120 D-RGB

Funnily enough, I overvolted my CPU the day i got it, and saw in excess of 2 + extra degrees for the performance gain XD