Grandma's laptop has really low storage

Meowster
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Yeah that is also an issue as with that low space windows will refuse to update. Did you install 32bit or 64? You upgraded right? That means windows will leave a fair bit of trash data so you can delete that usually in a place call windows.old.

The micro sd solution can work but micro sd cards aren't that durable so if it gets used for virtual memory it will wear out soon or as recycling bin space so make sure to turn that off so it doesn't start doing it. It is still basically like a usb stick.

The real solution is to get an actual laptop (some older used dell like a e7440 is about 200$ so not much and miles better than the celeron on pentium I assume is in here).

2 years ago, my gran got herself a laptop with only 32GB of eMMC storage. It used to run windows 8.1 with no issue until it upgraded to windows 10. The thing is rendered useless and only has 998MB of free disk space for the user. This is ridiculous. And the worst part is- there is NOTHING on the laptop at all! No documents, photos or anything really. Just Chrome. She does all her stuff online (mostly youtube and knitting things etc, gran stuff) Is there a way to solve the issue? The laptop has a micro sd slot which claims it can handle up to 64GB cards.

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

Yeah that is also an issue as with that low space windows will refuse to update. Did you install 32bit or 64? You upgraded right? That means windows will leave a fair bit of trash data so you can delete that usually in a place call windows.old.

The micro sd solution can work but micro sd cards aren't that durable so if it gets used for virtual memory it will wear out soon or as recycling bin space so make sure to turn that off so it doesn't start doing it. It is still basically like a usb stick.

The real solution is to get an actual laptop (some older used dell like a e7440 is about 200$ so not much and miles better than the celeron on pentium I assume is in here).

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

So originally the laptop shipped with 8.1 Home 64 bit. And it upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit. And yes, in this laptop there is a Celeron N4000.

I think the actual laptop solution might be the best here. But first, I'll try removing the windows.old thing.

2 minutes ago, Meowster said:

So originally the laptop shipped with 8.1 Home 64 bit. And it upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit. And yes, in this laptop there is a Celeron N4000.

I think the actual laptop solution might be the best here. But first, I'll try removing the windows.old thing.

Just make sure to get her a 1080p ips panel laptop so she can enjoy her knitting video's in good quality and doesn't have a problem with annoying viewing angles getting in her way if she is following along.

Just now, jaslion said:

Just make sure to get her a 1080p ips panel laptop so she can enjoy her knitting video's in good quality and doesn't have a problem with annoying viewing angles getting in her way if she is following along.

Ah yes. I will keep that in mind. The display in her current one has a 1080p panel but its a horrible panel with terrible ghosting and poor viewing angles. Its a crappy LCD with horrible color. I don't know who still buys these garbage little laptops

1 minute ago, Meowster said:

Ah yes. I will keep that in mind. The display in her current one has a 1080p panel but its a horrible panel with terrible ghosting and poor viewing angles. Its a crappy LCD with horrible color. I don't know who still buys these garbage little laptops

Well parents, schools and people that think a cheap pc is good. I mean a celeron n4000 gets beaten by the huge intel flop called a pentium d at 2.8ghz. That is just 2 pentium 4's stuck togheter so basically it has the single core performance of a 2003 computer and the dual core performance of a mediocre 2005 system :p.