Help Please - 2 Years on and Still Confused how to config PC Build

NardsIsh
9 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

there was not much between your Ryzen 7 and my Ryzen 9 build price wise

If there is stock of the 5900X or 5950X and you would be more comfortable with one of them, there is no reason not to go with it. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

54 minutes ago, Devryd said:

there are many videos online on how to build a pc.
Its actually not that hard. I built mine a few years ago with only youtube as help and it worked out fine. I needed about 2-3 hours, but I was really slow and insecure.

I also dont think you need the 5900x for that use case. The 5600x or, at most the 5800x will be sufficient.

Trust me I have considered doing the build myself, but there is too much riding on this for my son and an expensive exercise if I built a lemon

19 minutes ago, brob said:

If there is stock of the 5900X or 5950X and you would be more comfortable with one of them, there is no reason not to go with it. 

Thank you 🙂

On 2/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, Devryd said:

dont buy a 10900k
zen 3 has more gaming performance and more cores. Its just better value. Get a decent B550 Mainboard for it.

Don't worry I think I was having a "blonde moment" when I suggested Intel... I am definitely building with AMD.  May I ask though, why a B550 motherboard?

6 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

Don't worry I think I was having a "blonde moment" when I suggested Intel... I am definitely building with AMD.  May I ask though, why a B550 motherboard?

B550 is actually a slightly newer chipset. While it was intended as a little brother to the X570, it has become so popular that newer motherboard versions have been released with power distribution and features that are as good or better than many  X570 motherboards.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:49 AM, Devryd said:

B550 has nearly the same features as x570, is a little cheaper and doesnt have a fan to cool the chipset.

Apologies for my ignorant question, but would I then need to get a fan to cool the chipset?

Also, any suggestions of the B550 motherboard please?  

On 2/13/2021 at 4:58 AM, brob said:

B550 is actually a slightly newer chipset. While it was intended as a little brother to the X570, it has become so popular that newer motherboard versions have been released with power distribution and features that are as good or better than many  X570 motherboards.

Many thanks once again 🙂

Is there any in particular you would suggest re B550 motherboard please? 

On 2/10/2021 at 9:37 PM, brob said:

At the moment AMD cpu would be best choice. That may change shortly when new Intel are released.

Excellent gaming performance from 5600X, little improvement from 5800X, etc. But better editing performance. Unless editing performance is very important consider going with a 5600X.

Motherboards to consider, MSI MAG B550 Thomahawk and Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming. If serious overclocking is desired, consider something like MSI MEG B550 Unify or Asus ROG B550-E Gaming.

CPU cooling. Consider NH-D15 (Chromax.Black), Dark Rock Pro 4. The later if taller memory modules selected, or NH-U12A, NH-U12S (Chromax.Black).

Memory. Corsair LPX or G.Skill Ripjaws V. If lighting is desired any G.Skill Trident. DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600. Lots of debate over does and latency. CL16 or lower is better, but CL18 at DDR4-3600 is fine. Usually the cost differential of higher speed lower latency memory is not worth the expenditure.

I'd suggest the Fractal Design Meshify 2 case. If something fancier is desired, consider the Phanteks Evolv X.

750W - 850W psu. Corsair RMx, HX, or AX, or Seasonic Focus or Prime GX or PX.

Many thanks for your helpful response. Editing is an important factor so 5800x may be the go, however May I please ask if the 5800x is a better option than 5950x, 3950x or even the latest version of Ryzen 7 as those options are continually suggested however I’m not sure it is whether the latest Ryzen 9 is not available or whether there is technical substance behind their suggestions?

5900X will offer better performance than 5800X in tasks that are highly multithraeded. The suggestion of a 5800X is based on better editing performance than 5600X at a price lower than a 5900X. It is suitable for light video editing. The 5900X andf 5950X are more suitable for professional editing.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, brob said:

5900X will offer better performance than 5800X in tasks that are highly multithraeded. The suggestion of a 5800X is based on better editing performance than 5600X at a price lower than a 5900X. It is suitable for light video editing. The 5900X andf 5950X are more suitable for professional editing.

Thank you