Help Please - 2 Years on and Still Confused how to config PC Build

NardsIsh

Budget (including currency): $5,000 AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Cyberpunk 2077, Fortnite, GTA, DOOM Eternal, Dauntless, Amoung Us, Minecraft, Predator Hunting Grounds, Satisfactory, The Isle, Fall guys, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Far Cry, Red Dawn Redemption 2, Battlefield V.... plus more I assume

and also to 

Edit Xbox One gameplay captured on Elgato HD60S+

Other details

I have been using PartPickerAu to config the parts as I am having to have it done at my local computer store, and they are not extremely helpful in advising what components are best. They actually directed me to PartPicker and told me to config the rig, give them the order and they would build it.  So as it is being built by a retail store, I do not have the luxury of purchasing my parts seperate online. All the parts through them and unfortunatly they do not have a wide variety like there is online, but I am not spoilt for choice where I reside when it comes to finding someone to build the PC.

So I have once again back over my many builds and have sort of decided on most components however I would like to know please whether the components I'm thinking about are good choices or whether there are better alternatives?. Also my son is super sensetive to "outside the zone" noise, so am trying to make the build as quiet as possible, so any help there too would be wonderful.

CPU

Ryzen 9 5950x 

GPU (thinking?)

XFX Radeon RX 6800 XT Speedster MERC 319 16GB GDDR6

Storage

SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

HDD- Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

Motherboard Thinking?

ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard

CPU Cooler Thinking?

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm AIO

Memory min 32 GB (2x16GB) Brand & Speed etc Thinking?

Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro SL C16 3200Mhz

Power Supply Thinking?

Corsair RM850x V2 850W 80PLUS Gold Modular 

Case (no glass) Thinking ?

Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Addressable RGB Mesh Mid Tower

Compatible Monitor 

32" or 34" (FLAT as my son moves around alot when gaming)

Refresh Rate min 144Hz

AMD FreeSync Premium Pro tech

2 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

If AMD CPU one that supports AMD FreeSync Premium Pro tech

It is the GPU that uses freesync/g sync and an Nvidia card can use freesync and gsync, but amd GPUs can only use freesync

dont buy a 10900k
zen 3 has more gaming performance and more cores. Its just better value. Get a decent B550 Mainboard for it.

If you want info on how to pick parts online so they will fit and be compatible than read this:

After you read this and pick your parts you can come back and I or someone else can check if the things you bought are compatible, if something is either too weak or too overkill okay? (and if its compatible obviously)

It's not that hard to buy stuff into PC, the harder part is building it.

Anyway first you need to go in an order on what to buy so you don't end up with incompatible components.

Some components don't care, and have same connector. (Like GPU or storage)

First you choose CPU, CPU has a socket that fits only on motherboards that have same socket.

After CPU and motherboard you get RAM that's compatible with motherboard.

RAM in high end builds is 16GB and more depending on apps you gonna use.

RAM with Ryzen should be also pretty fast.

After CPU, RAM and Motherboard you have 90% of the stuff that requires specific compatibility done..

You get Case that supports motherboards format.

You also get Case that can fit your GPU because if you buy a really small case and long GPU than you won't fit it in.

Your storages look good.

PSU is best to just take in ATX format and the case that supports ATX PSU format.

Before you buy PSU it's better to look at some PSU calculator online, to determine how much is your PC going to need.

Than you buy PSU that has about 100 more W than the website recommends, and remember to buy it with like the quality thing.

Cooler needs to support CPU socket.

Also RAM brands don't matter, just space and speed, and if it has like a cooler so it isn't just naked RAM stick.

Also any questions you have just feel free to ask. That's what these forums are for. 🙂

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

If you want info on how to pick parts online so they will fit and be compatible than read this

I think you forgot to post the link

Just now, Devryd said:

Which one, PSU calculator?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

PSU calculator: https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator

PC:

PCs I used before:

6 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Your first line reads, like you wanted @NardsIsh to read something else before

my text? it's a disclaimer, if he knows how to build PC he can skip reading my text, and can say that he wants someone else to step in instead

PC:

PCs I used before:

26 minutes ago, podkall said:

my text? it's a disclaimer, if he knows how to build PC he can skip reading my text, and can say that he wants someone else to step in instead

Ok sry, then I missunderstood you

On 2/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, Spudwell06 said:

It is the GPU that uses freesync/g sync and an Nvidia card can use freesync and gsync, but amd GPUs can only use freesync

Hi I do know that one lol I was meaning that if an AMD GPU was what was recommended, then I wanted a monitor with FreeSync "Premium Pro" not just one that was FreeSync

At the moment AMD cpu would be best choice. That may change shortly when new Intel are released.

Excellent gaming performance from 5600X, little improvement from 5800X, etc. But better editing performance. Unless editing performance is very important consider going with a 5600X.

Motherboards to consider, MSI MAG B550 Thomahawk and Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming. If serious overclocking is desired, consider something like MSI MEG B550 Unify or Asus ROG B550-E Gaming.

CPU cooling. Consider NH-D15 (Chromax.Black), Dark Rock Pro 4. The later if taller memory modules selected, or NH-U12A, NH-U12S (Chromax.Black).

Memory. Corsair LPX or G.Skill Ripjaws V. If lighting is desired any G.Skill Trident. DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600. Lots of debate over does and latency. CL16 or lower is better, but CL18 at DDR4-3600 is fine. Usually the cost differential of higher speed lower latency memory is not worth the expenditure.

I'd suggest the Fractal Design Meshify 2 case. If something fancier is desired, consider the Phanteks Evolv X.

750W - 850W psu. Corsair RMx, HX, or AX, or Seasonic Focus or Prime GX or PX.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, Devryd said:

Your first line reads, like you wanted @NardsIsh to read something else before

Are you referring to my Flat or Curved Monitor Post?

As the original config I was thinking (my son's config) was as follows:-

CPU

Operating System

However when I sent config to computer store, they suggested different components (which has happened many times now), so once again has me questioning the components selected and which then sends me back to the drawing board. Never built a PC nor owned one, so both myself and son have relied on Google with any component choice

There are gpu and cpu shortages at the moment. This may account for some of the suggested changes. But there are also issues with the posted component choices. 

The most significant issue is the argb options. Selecting parts that use different protocols means that it will not be possible to sync all of the lighting.

The choice of a 5950X cpu for what is essentially a gaming system is also questionable. As is the 1000W psu.

Below is a part list that is currently in stock and should meet your needs.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($759.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: Silverstone PF360-ARGB 94 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($159.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($349.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($265.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($289.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Western Digital Red SA500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($839.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6800 16 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($1399.00 @ Centre Com) 
Case: Fractal Design Vector RS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($219.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($289.00 @ Centre Com) 
Total: $4567.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-12 04:28 AEDT+1100

On 2/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, podkall said:

If you want info on how to pick parts online so they will fit and be compatible than read this:

After you read this and pick your parts you can come back and I or someone else can check if the things you bought are compatible, if something is either too weak or too overkill okay? (and if its compatible obviously)

It's not that hard to buy stuff into PC, the harder part is building it.

Anyway first you need to go in an order on what to buy so you don't end up with incompatible components.

Some components don't care, and have same connector. (Like GPU or storage)

First you choose CPU, CPU has a socket that fits only on motherboards that have same socket.

After CPU and motherboard you get RAM that's compatible with motherboard.

RAM in high end builds is 16GB and more depending on apps you gonna use.

RAM with Ryzen should be also pretty fast.

After CPU, RAM and Motherboard you have 90% of the stuff that requires specific compatibility done..

You get Case that supports motherboards format.

You also get Case that can fit your GPU because if you buy a really small case and long GPU than you won't fit it in.

Your storages look good.

PSU is best to just take in ATX format and the case that supports ATX PSU format.

Before you buy PSU it's better to look at some PSU calculator online, to determine how much is your PC going to need.

Than you buy PSU that has about 100 more W than the website recommends, and remember to buy it with like the quality thing.

Cooler needs to support CPU socket.

Also RAM brands don't matter, just space and speed, and if it has like a cooler so it isn't just naked RAM stick.

Also any questions you have just feel free to ask. That's what these forums are for. 🙂

Thank you so much for your reply as it was very constructive.  

I have updated my post, not sure if I am allowed to, but I did as I don't think my original post portrayed the stage I was at and what I was needing help with.

The build is for my 13yr old Autistic son and although research was previously my profession, law and tech are like at the opposite ends of the earth from each other,  My hat is off to you, and or anyone that can get their head around all the knowledge that is required in regards to the workings and dynamics each component to ensure you don't build a "lemon".

I have one local computer store in my area who are going to do the build, yet as I said in my amended post, they directed me to PartPicker to config the build. I don't have the luxury of buying the parts separately online, as they want to charge an arm and a leg to then build it if I do (and they also do not have as many "options" as there would be if I did buy seperate online) but I'm stuck for options.

So, after trying to config on PartPicker (but getting red every time I add the CPU due to the BIOS version, which I'm like...Huh?), I send to them and all I have ever received is a comment on maybe a particular component or two but as a comment ie "you need more storage", but never alternatives and or solutions offered. So, then I go back to the drawing board and that just makes me think my choice are mot good choices. It has been the most frustrating experience and a double whammy as my son is losing faith (in me I think too), as it's dragged on for so long he wonders whether it is ever going to happen.  

So now I've gone back and re-config'd and am considering the following. Penny for your thoughts 🙂
CPU

Ryzen 9 5950x 

GPU (thinking?)

XFX Radeon RX 6800 XT Speedster MERC 319 16GB GDDR6

Storage

SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

HDD- Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

Motherboard Thinking?

ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard

CPU Cooler Thinking?

NZXT Kraken X73 360mm AIO

Memory min 32 GB (2x16GB) Brand & Speed etc Thinking?

Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro SL C16 3200Mhz

Power Supply Thinking?

Corsair RM850x V2 850W 80PLUS Gold Modular 

Case (no glass) Thinking ?

Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Addressable RGB Mesh Mid Tower

Compatible Monitor ?

32" or 34" (FLAT as my son moves around alot when gaming)

Refresh Rate min 144Hz

AMD FreeSync Premium Pro tech

On 2/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, boggy77 said:

OMG that is an amazing build, thank you. I just wish I had someone to build it (although I have been tempted to give it a go lol) as the only store available locally to me doen't stock the majority of the suggested components and want to charge @$110 per hour (unspecified hours) if I did supply the components  😞 

there are many videos online on how to build a pc.
Its actually not that hard. I built mine a few years ago with only youtube as help and it worked out fine. I needed about 2-3 hours, but I was really slow and insecure.

I also dont think you need the 5900x for that use case. The 5600x or, at most the 5800x will be sufficient.

Don't think about "building" so much as assembling a system. These days if one buys compatible parts it's just a matter of plugging the pieces together. The only bit that has a bit of risk is handling and placing the cpu in its socket. Everything else is fairly fool proof.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

The only bit that has a bit of risk is handling and placing the cpu in its socket

But even that is pretty easy on ryzen. On intel boards, you have to be more careful, i think

On 2/12/2021 at 1:29 AM, brob said:

There are gpu and cpu shortages at the moment. This may account for some of the suggested changes. But there are also issues with the posted component choices. 

The most significant issue is the argb options. Selecting parts that use different protocols means that it will not be possible to sync all of the lighting.

The choice of a 5950X cpu for what is essentially a gaming system is also questionable. As is the 1000W psu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Silverstone PF360-ARGB 94 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($159.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($349.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($265.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($289.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Western Digital Red SA500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($839.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6800 16 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($1399.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($289.00 @ Centre Com) 

Thank you....I was wondering about the lighting side of things, but as I said in my amended post, this is why I am going round in circles as I am not getting help from the place that is meant to build it for me and not understanding all the specifics to each component has made me now freak that I am going to get it wrong.  As for going the high CPU, it is more for "future proofing" as much as I can as I couldn't bear going through this again in the near future and I just inputted your buid with their system and there was not much between your Ryzen 7 and my Ryzen 9 build price wise 😞 

10 minutes ago, brob said:

Don't think about "building" so much as assembling a system. These days if one buys compatible parts it's just a matter of plugging the pieces together. The only bit that has a bit of risk is handling and placing the cpu in its socket. Everything else is fairly fool proof.

The problem is that I am not physically building it, believe it or not I'm actually having it built by a computer store, but they have told me to give them the config I want.in the build. This is so out of my expertise and have no idea what parts are compatible 

The sec

5 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:
  On 2/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

The second storage drive in there is also an SSD. This gives you pretty fast storage, but it is also really expensive. For a secondary drive, a hard drive, like the one in your first post, is sufficient

On 2/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, NardsIsh said:

Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

2 minutes ago, NardsIsh said:

The problem is that I am not physically building it, believe it or not I'm actually having it built by a computer store, but they have told me to give them the config I want.in the build. This is so out of my expertise and have no idea what parts are compatible 

The hardest part in building a computer is getting the right parts.
After you bougth the parts, its only a matter of putting it together as @brob said