Better IDEs for Python?

abhay6547

Hey guys, so I'm starting to learn Python and am using IDLE right now to edit my source code. Do you have any other suggestions for better editors or is IDLE good enough for anything Python has to offer?

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

IDLE is the main editor for python, and it should do just fine.

Notepad++ all the way :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

You can use Eclipse. You have to download an extension for it to work though. It works really well.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

IDLE is the main editor for python, and it should do just fine.

The problem I have with IDLE and some other python IDEs is that the editor runs your code inside itself, so if your code crashes or freezes the entire IDE crashes which can get pretty damn annoying.

The problem I have with IDLE and some other python IDEs is that the editor runs your code inside itself, so if your code crashes or freezes the entire IDE crashes which can get pretty damn annoying.

You could run the program from the command line.

Aptana Studio (either standalone or Eclipse plugin) or Pydev (Eclipse plugin). 

Or basic text editor with syntax highlighting and use commandline. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I use both Sublime Text 2 and IntelliJ IDEA. I do mostly Django devlopment and IntelliJ has a addon for it and prefer that. However, If you're just doing Python I recommend Sublime.