Genuine DVD enigma?

BiotechBen

So I have a copy of Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix, and when it gets to a particular scene, it hard crashes whatever it is playing in. There is no visible disc and it's the same scene every time at the exact same spot. So I decided to try using handbrake to isolate that scene to see if it was a read error, and when I try to encode that scene: no data is present. No file is created (275 byte file) and VLC shows no video to be played. It's like a 10 minute section has been completely erased. Has anyone ever seen this before? The data after that section is in perfect condition.

But like it's only one spot. And there's no retrievable data in that sector. With disk rot you'd expect at least some amount of data to be there. Like fragments or ghost data. And once it gets to 1:07:33 it hard freezes and scrubbing to another part is not available.

And generally disc rot would be somewhat uniform. It would be reduced quality playback in other scenes as well, correct? Or am I just talking claptrap? It's like a reel of film where the frames were irradiated to blank film and we're not there. The movie used to play fine, and then one day it just stopped working at that timestamp.

11 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

And generally disc rot would be somewhat uniform. It would be reduced quality playback in other scenes as well, correct? Or am I just talking claptrap? It's like a reel of film where the frames were irradiated to blank film and we're not there. The movie used to play fine, and then one day it just stopped working at that timestamp.

Any fingerprints?
Did it get dropped?

elephants

Nope. Normal slight imperfections from being played, but given any physical damage, the reader interpolates the missing data to fill in gaps. There is NO data. Which is what the peculiar thing is about this.