Temperatures (wasn't sure where to put this)

ISuckWIthComputers
Go to solution Solved by GaticusHax,

Is your CPU fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? Did you try changing the fan curve to run always maxed, to see if it is keeping up with your CPU?

I just read that apparently that chip can use up to 224W under heavy load and it's not unusual for it to peak in the 80's with a stock cooler (the GAMMAX is better but it's pretty low-end). So, while your cooler is adequate for the CPU, for general use like surfing the the innerwebs, you should get a better cooler for gaming. That GAMMAXX is rated for 130W tdp.

First, Hello. Second, I just recently got a pre-built CyberPower PC (got it because of the GPU shortage and the sale price made it so it was cheaper than building it myself), the specs are:

• CAS: CyberPowerPC ONYXIA Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Front & Side Tempered Glass [-42] (White Color)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-10700F 8/16 2.90GHz [Turbo 4.8GHz] 16MB Cache LGA1200 [w/o Integrated Graphic] (Comet Lake-S)
  • CS_FAN: Added 2 intake fans
  • FAN: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 CPU Air Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120MM [-17]
  • HDD: 1TB Intel® 665P SERIES PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2000/1925 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 160/250k [-26] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: Samsung Evo 970 1TB and Samsung Evo 870 1TB
  • IUSB: Built-in USB Ports (Based on motherboard and case selection)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX, ARGB, 1GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe + WiFi 6 Intel 201AX
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply
  • VIDEO: Asus GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 DUAL OC

The PC arrived with the AI Overclocking enable (which caused crazy temperatures 90-100 Celsius) I changed it to auto and the temperatures dropped to reasonable/expected range, but I still get maximums of 86 - 92 Celsius and averages of 78 - 81 when gaming. I know this is within worrying range, but I am unsure if it is just my cooler that is not up to snuff or if there are setting I can tweak still in the Bios. Thank you if anyone has any suggestions.   

Could you send a photo of the cpu cooler by any chance?

Edited by Bartandroid123
spelling mistake

Your cooler should be adequate for your CPU. Are the cooler fans spinning?
My instinct is that they did a poor job of mounting the cooler onto the CPU and it needs new thermal paste reapplied.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:16 AM, GaticusHax said:

Your cooler should be adequate for your CPU. Are the cooler fans spinning?
My instinct is that they did a poor job of mounting the cooler onto the CPU and it needs new thermal paste reapplied.

That was my initial thought, so I did re-apply the thermal paste and added some fans for in take cause it came with only 1 exhaust fan. But the readings are from AFTER I did that so that's not it. 

Is your CPU fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? Did you try changing the fan curve to run always maxed, to see if it is keeping up with your CPU?

I just read that apparently that chip can use up to 224W under heavy load and it's not unusual for it to peak in the 80's with a stock cooler (the GAMMAX is better but it's pretty low-end). So, while your cooler is adequate for the CPU, for general use like surfing the the innerwebs, you should get a better cooler for gaming. That GAMMAXX is rated for 130W tdp.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, GaticusHax said:

Alright, I'm going to try to set the fan curves. 

The averages now is now about a 76 and the max is hitting 86-88 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, ISuckWIthComputers said:

The averages now is now about a 76 and the max is hitting 86-88 

Is this an okay temperature range for my CPU to be hitting normally?

Got a new CPU cooler now my temperatures are in control, for now at least.