Upgrading Advice on a Dell Precision T5810

Hey Everyone!

I acquired a Dell Precision T5810 off of Dell's refurb site for $250. The specs are as follows:

• Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3 @ 3.5GHz, 6-Core
  • 64 GB 2133MHz Memory
  • Samsung SATA SSD
  • NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (But it was broken so I put in a GTX 1660 Ti)

I would like to upgrade my CPU to whatever the fastest one that would work in my system. Is there a straightforward answer to that question? The E5-1650 V3 uses the FCLGA2011-3 socket.

Thanks!

What purpose are you using the system for? The CPUs that are good for gaming won't necessarily be the best for workstation tasks, and vice versa.

The Xeon E5-1650 v3 is an unlocked CPU so it can be overclocked. Similar to a K series CPU. Not sure if the most recent version of Intel XTU still allows this but I know older versions of XTU used to allow overclocking.

You can also use ThrottleStop to overclock these. No use spending money on a new CPU if you can overclock this one to the same speed, or more.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

https://hwbot.org/submission/4320138_doomed83_cpu_frequency_xeon_e5_1650_v3_4998.83_mhz

1 hour ago, Grabhanem said:

What purpose are you using the system for? The CPUs that are good for gaming won't necessarily be the best for workstation tasks, and vice versa.

The important stuff I know it can handle handily. Schoolwork on Google Docs and Microsoft Office, and some big zoom and google meet meetings. I've been wanting to get more into gaming. Right now I mostly just play Mass Effect Andromeda, Civ 5, and Microsoft Flight Sim. To tell you the truth, I am not very in the loop in the current game charts. I'm mostly just browsing steam for stuff that sounds interesting, and listening to recommendations from friends.

14 hours ago, ChaoticianActually said:

The important stuff I know it can handle handily. Schoolwork on Google Docs and Microsoft Office, and some big zoom and google meet meetings. I've been wanting to get more into gaming. Right now I mostly just play Mass Effect Andromeda, Civ 5, and Microsoft Flight Sim. To tell you the truth, I am not very in the loop in the current game charts. I'm mostly just browsing steam for stuff that sounds interesting, and listening to recommendations from friends.

For gaming, core clock is going to matter most within this generation of hardware, and the 1650v3 is one of the higher-clocked chips available on that socket. I'd expect the current system to handle games pretty well in general - is there an area where it's falling short?

On 2/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, Grabhanem said:

For gaming, core clock is going to matter most within this generation of hardware, and the 1650v3 is one of the higher-clocked chips available on that socket. I'd expect the current system to handle games pretty well in general - is there an area where it's falling short?

No, it is not falling short anywhere that I've noticed. I just don't know much about the gaming and pc building scene right now. Wanted to see if there was anything glaring or obvious that I should upgrade.