Would this be good for a quick, small minecraft server?

daviden

Don't see why not. I used an FX 4300 for a couple minecraft servers, all modded, without issue. As long as you won't have a ton of people online at once, you should be fine. I'd throw in an extra 4GB of RAM, but if you're just planning on running a single server with 5 friends or less online at a time, 4GB should be enough if you're running on linux.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't see why not. I used an FX 4300 for a couple minecraft servers, all modded, without issue. As long as you won't have a ton of people online at once, you should be fine. I'd throw in an extra 4GB of RAM, but if you're just planning on running a single server with 5 friends or less online at a time, 4GB should be enough if you're running on linux.

5-6 friends max, was planning on putting more than that in. probably 16 total just to have lots of headroom.

4 minutes ago, daviden said:

Assuming I throw in more RAM, I just want something to do this and this alone (for now).

Yeah honestly that'll work just fine, grab some extra RAM and a cheap 120GB SSD (unless it already has one), install Ubuntu and AdoptOpenJDK OpenJ9 and you'll be firing away in no time even on modded, great budget server option

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

That's not a great price IMO, but it should certainly do the job. 4th gen CPUs are still pretty decent. You'll want to add some RAM though, and possibly grab a cheap SSD as your boot drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, daviden said:

5-6 friends max, was planning on putting more than that in. probably 16 total just to have lots of headroom.

You should only need about 8GB, Ubuntu Server or whatever you choose will only eat a few megabytes of your RAM at most, Java can take the rest. DDR3 RAM is cheap, but don't waste it, the slower speeds aren't worth it for 16GB especially since systems like this typically only have two RAM slots meaning you'd have to purchase 2 8GB sticks which can get pricey

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

You should only need about 8GB, Ubuntu Server or whatever you choose will only eat a few megabytes of your RAM at most, Java can take the rest. DDR3 RAM is cheap, but don't waste it, the slower speeds aren't worth it for 16GB especially since systems like this typically only have two RAM slots meaning you'd have to purchase 2 8GB sticks which can get pricey

oh, ok thanks! I'm new to server stuff so I appreciate the tip!