FPS Drop

rysmic

I made a post here a couple of months ago and I still haven't found a solution to this. I'm not very technical with computers so please excuse me if I give poorly detailed descriptions. 

Basically I'm getting small FPS problems in games and occasional program freezes which I don't think should be happening with these specs. The worst out of the games I've tried is Fortnite, sometimes dropping as low as 30 FPS (briefly but frequently) and shooting back up to 144. Destiny 2 and Call of Duty, however, have a much more stable performance. It doesn't stay at exactly 144 FPS consistently, but the drops are much less drastic. It goes just below 144 a lot of the time, but in some situations will drop as low as 90-120. I'm guessing this is due to my graphics card helping out more on these games. 

This leads me to think it's one of the other parts causing it, but I have been getting some coil whine on my GPU that wasn't there when I first built this computer. I suppose one of the other parts could be causing the strain which is leading to the GPU coil whine, right? I don't know. I've tried to monitor speeds on my CPU, GPU, and RAM and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I frankly don't have much of a clue what I'm even doing. If anyone has any advice based on the performance I'm getting on those certain games, please let me know.

Specs: 

• MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (BIOS Version: 7C02v39)
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
  • RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHz
  • PSU: EVGA Super Nova 80 Plus Gold 750W Fully Modular
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB m.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD, 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD
  • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360x
  • Monitors: BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz, BenQ RL2455 60Hz (Both older, from around 2013)

If it will help any, here is a link to my other post which has some more information. Maybe too much, considering I didn't get many responses on it lol: 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1281547-performance-issues-with-new-build/?tab=comments#comment-14310528

Can you run a benchmark and post the link to the results?

https://www.userbenchmark.com

It will let us know about your rig, and might give a hint at anything obvious.

Edit: Ahh. Now I've clicked through to the previous post and the test results. Hmm. Nothing jumps out as problematic.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench

He did this on the previous post

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

This is weird because the userbench shows your PC performing quite well, but it seems when it's under an actual gaming load it falls apart. Since you replaced the PSU I'd imagine it might be a BIOS issue maybe with voltages or power management? Maybe a windows power setting? I'm kinda stuck on this and I'll keep looking into it.

Edit: Have you tried using DDU to completely remove your GPU drivers then reinstall fresh? I noticed you mentioned drivers in the last post but not into much detail. The CPU seems fine to me based off the screenshots of Ryzen Master.

"Beatrix"

• Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans

39 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

This is weird because the userbench shows your PC performing quite well, but it seems when it's under an actual gaming load it falls apart. Since you replaced the PSU I'd imagine it might be a BIOS issue maybe with voltages or power management? Maybe a windows power setting? I'm kinda stuck on this and I'll keep looking into it.

Edit: Have you tried using DDU to completely remove your GPU drivers then reinstall fresh? I noticed you mentioned drivers in the last post but not into much detail. The CPU seems fine to me based off the screenshots of Ryzen Master.

Yeah I've tried using DDU. Not sure about the BIOS, I've tried 2 or 3 different versions of it but maybe something is still messed up. I leave everything at default besides CPU virtualization and the RAM frequency. Also tried the XMP boost. The power setting I use on Windows is AMD Ryzen High Performance.

Should I try running a benchmark with a game running at the same time? Is that a thing?

1 hour ago, rysmic said:

Yeah I've tried using DDU. Not sure about the BIOS, I've tried 2 or 3 different versions of it but maybe something is still messed up. I leave everything at default besides CPU virtualization and the RAM frequency. Also tried the XMP boost. The power setting I use on Windows is AMD Ryzen High Performance.

Should I try running a benchmark with a game running at the same time? Is that a thing?

I mean you COULD but that won't show much. Try running one of those games and watch your utilization on the GPU and CPU through task manager or etc. Also, could you take screens of your Nvidia control panel?

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

22 hours ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

I mean you COULD but that won't show much. Try running one of those games and watch your utilization on the GPU and CPU through task manager or etc. Also, could you take screens of your Nvidia control panel?

Fortnite CPU utilization maxes at 35%, GPU 40-50%, RAM 68% (fluctuating 30-144 FPS)

Destiny 2 18-25% CPU, 90-99% GPU, around 50% RAM (fluctuating 100-144 FPS)

Warzone max 50% CPU, 70-99% GPU, 88% RAM (fluctuating 120-144 FPS)

I tried to enable shadows and lighting on Warzone a few mins ago and got this error:

ModernWarfare_bHf7CSml6Q.png.fb524c47d726ae6d6c4bd0d1a7a756c2.png

These settings probably aren't optimal, but I have tried changing them to the ones in this video: 

nvcplui_EHXuw70FKE.png.1c09563115edbe2a89177480e11c8d98.pngnvcplui_bC83W5PRnw.png.5815e756645aa72bd035f730bcf538b3.pngnvcplui_o5Pdan57Yg.png.606107fc36ba8179f2d7adf92fe31fce.png

DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is upscaling your games to 4x their normal resolution, what resolution are you playing these games on?

Also switch Power management mode to Adaptive or Prefer max performance

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

38 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is upscaling your games to 4x their normal resolution, what resolution are you playing these games on?

Also switch Power management mode to Adaptive or Prefer max performance

Oh shoot, didn't realize that. I wonder if it's been like that all this time. What should I change it to? Should DSR smoothness be on 33%? I'm playing on 1920x1080.

EDIT: NVM, just watched the video again. I guess those are supposed to be completely disabled.

EDIT2: This definitely improves the visuals of everything but still getting the same FPS drops.

My RAM frequency is supposed to be 3200MHz but HWInfo is only showing 1600. Is this how it's supposed to read?

HWiNFO64_nLPxiRWtvw.png.b1670b4a417b780ead35ecb27e6f5ff6.png

All DSR does is enable you to play games at a higher resolution than you normally would be able to natively, if you enable it and go into a game you'll see resolutions beyond 1080p. 

Someone posted this was a fix on their MSI mobo with the same issue, "Looks like i found the source of stuttering for my situation. It was BIOS option on my MSI Z-170A Tomahawk called "Above 4G memory/Crypto Currency Mining" (Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem Settings\Above 4G memory/Crypto Currency Mining). It was in "Disabled" state by default. After enabling this option framerate becomes stable."

Also this, "Uninstall these two Windows updates: KB4540673 KB4535996

Run the Show Hide tool to temp.

prevent them from Reinstalling: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window"

Someone also claimed this tool was a "magic bullet" https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released

Apparently it's either an Nvidia Driver issue or a Windows Update issue most likely.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

2 minutes ago, rysmic said:

My RAM frequency is supposed to be 3200MHz but HWInfo is only showing 1600. Is this how it's supposed to read?

HWiNFO64_nLPxiRWtvw.png.b1670b4a417b780ead35ecb27e6f5ff6.png

Yes, it's showing the effective clock of the RAM, which is half of what you set it to.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

Before you do all that, how are you powering the card? Are you using a single cable from the PSU to a splitter to two 6+2's?

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

49 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Before you do all that, how are you powering the card? Are you using a single cable from the PSU to a splitter to two 6+2's?

Yes

Also can't find those windows updates in the list available to uninstall, so I'm guessing I don't have them installed.

55 minutes ago, rysmic said:

Yes

Use 2 separate cables! they are rated for 150W per cable and your card pulls close to 300W under load. I have the same card. That could def be your problem.

1 hour ago, vishy92 said:

Use 2 separate cables! they are rated for 150W per cable and your card pulls close to 300W under load. I have the same card. That could def be your problem.

Just tried and it's sadly still the same 😞

Had no clue you're supposed to use separate cables for high end cards though.

Also tried enabling 4G memory and used the ISLC tool to purge memory standby.

No clue what the problem could be. Only things I've thought of previously is my last PSU possibly causing damage to the GPU since someone on another forum told me it was a weak PSU for this card. Also my last GPU (RX570) died before I upgraded to this one and I was using the same motherboard and RAM with it. Not sure if there could have been damage done to those somehow...

I once had a similar issue when i was playing Starwars Battlefront 2. At one moment i would have decent fps, and then for a short period of time it would drop quite low and then go back to normal. I solved it by changing api from directX 11 to directX 12. It made my frame rate much more stable and i didn’t get anymore frame rate drops.

Edit: this also solved a similar issue i had with Fortnite 🙂 

I hope this helps 🙂 

I once had a similar issue when i was playing Starwars Battlefront 2. At one moment i would have decent fps, and then for a short period of time it would drop quite low and then go back to normal. I solved it by changing api from directX 11 to directX 12. It made my frame rate much more stable and i didn’t get anymore frame rate drops.

Edit: Do you do anything with virtual machines on this computer? I have read that CPU virtualisation has not impact on gaming, it only exists to help run virtual machines.

I hope this helps 🙂 

(sorry for accidentally sending this twice)

I made this exact mistake awhile back with a different CPU, but I’m still using the same motherboard. I wish I could say that maybe my motherboard is the problem, but I’ve tried replacing it with a different one and the problem still persists. I’m lost on solutions, it seems like it has to be something with my hardware but I have absolutely no clue what it could be. The RAM and my new CPU should be fine. Also using a new GPU, and unless my last lower-end PSU could cause some damage, it should be fine too. I don’t know if I’ll ever find a solution to this. 

The reason I think it's hardware related is because the FPS drops are significantly worse on Fortnite compared to Destiny 2 and Call of Duty. Fortnite is supposed to be a CPU heavy game. Does this make sense or could a software problem cause the same thing? I barely have any  clue what I'm talking about so I'm all ears.

It could be software related, you have tried swapping out hardware to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn’t. This suggests that it could more likely be software related. Also, you have a pretty decent cpu, so i don’t think it would be cpu bottlenecking.

Have you tried playing around with the settings in game to see if it makes a difference? 

I hope this helps 🙂