Can you use "Xbox Velocity Architecture" with sata ssd?

dedli
Go to solution Solved by NattyKathy,

more info on Xbox X/S with USB disks

says Series X can't run Series X/S games from external drives at all- they can be stored externally but have to be installed on the internal SSD to play. Xbox One and 360 games will apparently run from USB drives but those don't use Velocity Architecture/DirectStorage features anyways

So recently my brother bought the series x and with game pass his internal SSD filled up quickly (we already have one external HDD.) and he wants to expand the storage with SSD that allows him to use the "Xbox Velocity Architecture" aka quick resume.

But the only option (that i know) is to buy the Seagate expansion ssd at $7,420.71 MXN  (366.98 USD) witch its to expensive for him right now because he bought the series x but my question here is.

If I use a sata to usb 3 will he be available to use a sata sdd as a Xbox Velocity Architecture drive, obviously he can use it as a external HDD but will quick resume will work for games that are stored in that sata ssd.

I haven’t found anything related to this, because every time I search for something with Xbox and SSD in the same sentences the Segate SSD appears.

Tldr: Can I use a sata ssd to have quick resume on the xbox series x? (as in the picture) 

wda.jpg

No, won't work as far as I know. Velocity Architecture is based on DirectStorage and communicating with the SSD over the PCIe bus is a core part of how it works. 

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

I assume not but it would be a quicker resume but not as fast as the built in probably since it's still a ssd. That and as far as I know it's required to be a pcie ssd.

more info on Xbox X/S with USB disks

says Series X can't run Series X/S games from external drives at all- they can be stored externally but have to be installed on the internal SSD to play. Xbox One and 360 games will apparently run from USB drives but those don't use Velocity Architecture/DirectStorage features anyways

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic