5900x Running hot on idle/BIOS

Hey there guys,

I recently got myself a 5900x and a Noctua NH-D15 I've been struggling to figure out why it's been running a bit too hot on idle speeds. I've seen people say that the 5000 series runs hotter or most people aren't really idling, but it seems odd that I'm even getting 50C in BIOS where there's definitely nothing running.

While on Windows, I can lower my idle temp by switching my power plan to power saver but aside from that, I'm always at 45-50C with instant increases to 50-60C with <5% CPU usage. Seems odd that the Voltage/Clock ramp up with such small tasks. I have a P500a which has good airflow and 4 case fans, 3 up front and 1 exhaust. Also I do have the latest BIOS which was released last week as I just built my PC, not sure if it's worth downgrading in case this BIOS could have created problems.

Load temps seem fine:

Cinebench R23: 65-68

Aida64: 71C

It's possible my thermal paste application might have been done badly but wouldn't my load temps be high as well? I used the NT-H1 paste that came with the cooler. If you think it's still worth reapplying the paste, I can give that a try but I'd appreciate any suggestions before doing so.

Thanks.

Just now, DriftMan said:

Those are normal temps. But, if you are worried, try repasting with a good paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (Extreme)

I wasn't too worried about the temps when I'm on Windows but was worried because it seemed pretty high for my BIOS, wasn't sure if that was normal or not...

If anything, the fan noise is annoying me the most just because of the constant ramp ups with small tasks(videos,apps,anything), even with the ramp up delays...

Thanks.

I see, and I live in Canada but definitely have the heat going strong... I'll mess with the curve a bit more.

Thanks for the help mate.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly your load temps are really good so I wouldn't worry too much about the idle temps. 

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the load temps were pretty good...Thanks mate.

Also I don't think reapply thermal compound will do much good as your load temps are already super low so you likely have a good thermal paste application otherwise your temps under load would be higher. Also changing to different thermal paste doesn't make a significant difference so its not like you will see any more than a couple of degrees difference. 

Right...Yeah, I was going to originally reapply the paste when I first saw the idle temps but it didn't make too much sense when the load temps were good. And yeah looking at the benchmarks, I'm only seeing 2-4C difference between the Grizzly and the NT-H1. Thanks.

Those idle temps should not be considered normal.  I have 2 twitch streams going and several chrome tabs open and my 5800x is at 33C, with a lesser cooler.  What are your idle frequencies?  Right now mine are 2.196 with split second spikes to 3.8 on one or two cores.  I wonder if people with high idle temperatures aren't 'sleeping' below base clock.

6 hours ago, merrybird12345 said:

Those idle temps should not be considered normal.  I have 2 twitch streams going and several chrome tabs open and my 5800x is at 33C, with a lesser cooler.  What are your idle frequencies?  Right now mine are 2.196 with split second spikes to 3.8 on one or two cores.  I wonder if people with high idle temperatures aren't 'sleeping' below base clock.

My frequency will almost always stay at 3.674 minimum. A couple cores drop to 2.9 for a split second but that's it. Even turning power saver mode on will keep it at constant 3.6GHz and lower the temperature but never really below 3.6.

Edit: Not sure if this is true but seeing a few people saying that you won't see the frequency drop too much since if the core isn't being used, it's put to sleep which won't show a frequency. I was using other monitoring tools for the frequency but using Ryzen Master seems to back that up a bit, most cores sleeping with a couple under 1000

00y4eHD.png