Issues with Star Wars Battlefront 2 and PC about to take off while playing

steelo

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with vsync working with ST battlefront 2. I only have 60 hz 1080 monitors, but according to Radeon, it is pushing 150-200 fps. I've toggled the switch on and off, but it doesn't seem to lock the frame rates. I really don't notice screen tearing and it does look pretty good, but my God...my GPU fan is going crazy, GPU junction temps fluctuate between 95C-105C and the CPU is also getting pretty warm running at ~70% @ 75C the entire time.

I've been running this on ultra settings but have switched to high to try to ease the load - like the vsync button, it makes no difference. GPU is around 95-99% the entire time. Also, this PC is in a small room so it feels like I have a heater on full blast. I know I have a pretty vanilla set up, but I've never seen GPU temps this high with any other game. Is STBF2 really this demanding?

Ryzen 5 1600af OC'd to 4 ghz w/ AMD prism cooler

XFX RX 5700 (non-XT)

16 gb 3000mhz ddr4

240gb ssd

512 gb hdd

2 case intake fans/1 exhaust

While gaming 70-75C is fine. The GPU fan curve could be set funny, so open up the AMD control panel and see what the fan curve looks like. If you only have 60hz monitors just cap the fps at 60. AS for the heat... open the door?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

16 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

While gaming 70-75C is fine. The GPU fan curve could be set funny, so open up the AMD control panel and see what the fan curve looks like. If you only have 60hz monitors just cap the fps at 60. AS for the heat... open the door?

I've set the cap to 60 hz (under monitor refresh rate within the game) and turned on vsync, but it doesn't seem to do anything as Radeon is still showing 150-200 fps. I believe the fps overkill is what is working my CPU so hard. As far as the GPU fan curve, everything is completely stock...I haven't touched any fan settings. I'm afraid to make the fan curve less aggressive because the GPU already is quite hot. I'm not too worried about the CPU heat because I believe it thermals at 90C and I haven't seen it go over 75C. However, there are parts of the game that become stuttery - mainly after the cut scenes. I think it's because the CPU is so bogged down keeping up the excessive frame rates. This game is installed on my SSD, so it shouldn't be a loading issue...

Do you think uninstalling/reinstalling the game would reset everything?

38 minutes ago, steelo said:

I've set the cap to 60 hz (under monitor refresh rate within the game) and turned on vsync, but it doesn't seem to do anything as Radeon is still showing 150-200 fps. I believe the fps overkill is what is working my CPU so hard. As far as the GPU fan curve, everything is completely stock...I haven't touched any fan settings. I'm afraid to make the fan curve less aggressive because the GPU already is quite hot. I'm not too worried about the CPU heat because I believe it thermals at 90C and I haven't seen it go over 75C. However, there are parts of the game that become stuttery - mainly after the cut scenes. I think it's because the CPU is so bogged down keeping up the excessive frame rates. This game is installed on my SSD, so it shouldn't be a loading issue...

Do you think uninstalling/reinstalling the game would reset everything?

Is FASTSYNC Enabled in the AMD Control Panel (Best double check)
AMD have it as a recommended setting and it may be enabled.
It'll do Exactly that to FPS under Vsync enabled scenarios.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Is FASTSYNC Enabled in the AMD Control Panel (Best double check)
It'll do Exactly that.

I've checked that...no, it's not enabled. All settings under AMD Control panel are completely stock with no special options turned on =(

6 hours ago, steelo said:

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with vsync working with ST battlefront 2. I only have 60 hz 1080 monitors, but according to Radeon, it is pushing 150-200 fps. I've toggled the switch on and off, but it doesn't seem to lock the frame rates. I really don't notice screen tearing and it does look pretty good, but my God...my GPU fan is going crazy, GPU junction temps fluctuate between 95C-105C and the CPU is also getting pretty warm running at ~70% @ 75C the entire time.

I've been running this on ultra settings but have switched to high to try to ease the load - like the vsync button, it makes no difference. GPU is around 95-99% the entire time. Also, this PC is in a small room so it feels like I have a heater on full blast. I know I have a pretty vanilla set up, but I've never seen GPU temps this high with any other game. Is STBF2 really this demanding?

Ryzen 5 1600af OC'd to 4 ghz w/ AMD prism cooler

XFX RX 5700 (non-XT)

16 gb 3000mhz ddr4

240gb ssd

512 gb hdd

2 case intake fans/1 exhaust

I mean, it's a very good looking game with a lot of visual effects going on, and depending on the game mode can have dozens of players on a map at a time.

So, I'd say it's a pretty demanding game on the whole.

I don't know if it's still considered a system destroyer, or something used to really test components, like Control or Tomb Raider - but a few years ago it was very impressive. 

21 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I mean, it's a very good looking game with a lot of visual effects going on, and depending on the game mode can have dozens of players on a map at a time.

So, I'd say it's a pretty demanding game on the whole.

I don't know if it's still considered a system destroyer, or something used to really test components, like Control or Tomb Raider - but a few years ago it was very impressive. 

I was able to restart the game and turn vsync on to cap the frame rate to 60hz. GPU is much happier, maxing out around 60% and CPU now is around 40-50%

11 hours ago, steelo said:

I was able to restart the game and turn vsync on to cap the frame rate to 60hz. GPU is much happier, maxing out around 60% and CPU now is around 40-50%

It's still very playable at 60fps, and looks beautiful. 

4 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

It's still very playable at 60fps, and looks beautiful. 

Absolutely...60 fps is what I'm used to and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between 60 and 120 tbh. I just play games for fun, I'm not at all competitive anyways...LOL

4 hours ago, steelo said:

Absolutely...60 fps is what I'm used to and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between 60 and 120 tbh. I just play games for fun, I'm not at all competitive anyways...LOL

I have to agree. 

When I'm playing a game I couldn't tell you if it is was 60fps or 100fps.

Now, if it drops from 60 to 30 I can definitely tell.

30 and below feels terrible once you are used to smooth, consistent, 60 and over.

However, even 30 can be adapted to eventually. 

I played The Last of Us 2 last year and it was an incredibly good looking game and the frame rate really didn't adversely impact my experience. 

Same for many ps4 games.

That said, playing those games again at 60fps would be so much better, I can't lie.

TLOU2 is guaranteed a ps5 remaster, so it will happen. 

22 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I have to agree. 

When I'm playing a game I couldn't tell you if it is was 60fps or 100fps.

Now, if it drops from 60 to 30 I can definitely tell.

30 and below feels terrible once you are used to smooth, consistent, 60 and over.

However, even 30 can be adapted to eventually. 

I played The Last of Us 2 last year and it was an incredibly good looking game and the frame rate really didn't adversely impact my experience. 

Same for many ps4 games.

That said, playing those games again at 60fps would be so much better, I can't lie.

TLOU2 is guaranteed a ps5 remaster, so it will happen. 

Yeah, I don't start getting irritated until I notice huge fps dips into the 30s and 40's.

55-60fps is 100% playable for me. So far, my vanilla RX 5700 handles just about every 1080p title with ease. Of course, I haven't tried cyberpunk yet...