Budget motherboard for running 5600x stock

LethoX
Go to solution Solved by Aragorn-,

The cheapest board you can find for sale will run a stock 5600x just fine. Even the junkiest board will run a 65w CPU with no issues. Theres very little to be gained from overclocking ryzen chips either, especially newer ones, their factory boost alogrithm is very good.

I wouldnt bother with B550 if your on a budget either. But B450 might need a bios update so thats something to consider if you dont have access to another chip.

But ofcourse, it really depends how you define "budget motherboard". a 5600x and 1080 arent really budget parts.

If I'm not planning to do any overclocking what would a good motherboard for the 5600x be? Also wanna ask, if I decide to get a motherboard that supports overclocking would I need a stronger PSU? I would only do a light overclock if that has something to say. These are my specs: 

PSU: Corsair RM550x 

SSD: Samsung 970 evo

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 / 16 GB

GPU: EVGA gtx 1080

I would suggest a Good B550 board would do you well, probably don't need to go crazy and can get something in the £120 range ($150) from Asus/Gigabyte/MSI etc. AS for PSU for overclocking, 550W is gonna be a bit low too be comfortable. I haven't overclocked much but I would want 650W+ if I was doing anything in that space to avoid stability issues.

Mobo List. The thing that I can recommend are the MSI B550 Mortar and TUF Plus (either a mATX and ATX form) ~$150ish. They are 'allocated' in the Tier A list. 

As for the PSU, get 650W or 750W for some headroom. 

CGHA | Astrophysicist & Meterologist-in-Training 

COSMOS, WEATHER, AND YOU 🌌

BUILD: 6C12T R5 5600x | Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Vulcan OC-V | Asus TUF B550M Plus | 2x8 Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600CL16 | 2x 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1 TB WD Blue | Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W | Noctua NH-D15, 4x Deepcool RF140 and 5x RF 120 Fans

The cheapest board you can find for sale will run a stock 5600x just fine. Even the junkiest board will run a 65w CPU with no issues. Theres very little to be gained from overclocking ryzen chips either, especially newer ones, their factory boost alogrithm is very good.

I wouldnt bother with B550 if your on a budget either. But B450 might need a bios update so thats something to consider if you dont have access to another chip.

But ofcourse, it really depends how you define "budget motherboard". a 5600x and 1080 arent really budget parts.

So since my PSU is probably a bit under powered for overclocking I'll probably just stick with stock settings. Thanks guys for the quick replies!

3 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

Since I don't have an older AMD cpu, how do I update BIOS? I've looked at this one: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO-MAX

4 minutes ago, LethoX said:

Since I don't have an older AMD cpu, how do I update BIOS? I've looked at this one: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO-MAX

As far as I can remember, most mobos (b550 etc.) have BIOS Flashback button located in the IO. 

BUILD: 6C12T R5 5600x | Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Vulcan OC-V | Asus TUF B550M Plus | 2x8 Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600CL16 | 2x 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1 TB WD Blue | Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W | Noctua NH-D15, 4x Deepcool RF140 and 5x RF 120 Fans

Just now, Astrogene said:

As far as I can remember, most current mobos have a BIOS Flashback button located in the IO.

Therefore, you can use a thumbdrive, download the recent BIOS and flash it through the dedicated usb slot. 

1 hour ago, Astrogene said:

Their latest BIOS doesn't say anything about supporting 5000 series CPU though, shouldn't it say something like that? Talking about the one I linked previously.

14 minutes ago, LethoX said:

Their latest BIOS doesn't say anything about supporting 5000 series CPU though, shouldn't it say something like that? Talking about the one I linked previously.

You'll have to wait for further notice (e.g. like from this one or MSI website) on the support for ryzen 5000 series on that B450 Mobo. 

4 minutes ago, Astrogene said:

You'll have to wait for further notice (e.g. like from this one or MSI website) on the support for ryzen 5000 series on that B450 Mobo. 

In that case I guess I'll have to buy a B550 instead? If I want to use my 5600x now

9 hours ago, LethoX said:

In that case I guess I'll have to buy a B550 instead? If I want to use my 5600x now

Nah not really tho.

EDIT: After further digging, the MSI have already rolled out a "Beta version" (7B86vMC1(Beta version)) of the support for 5000 series and resizable BAR in B450-A PRO MAX.

I may be wrong since I'm using a B550 board so you may wanna ask somebody if it really does support it (fingers crossed)

EDIT2: Yea it seems like they can support it now and its the only version for B450s

9 hours ago, Astrogene said:

Nah not really tho.

EDIT: After further digging, the MSI have already rolled out a "Beta version" (7B86vMC1(Beta version)) of the support for 5000 series and resizable BAR in B450-A PRO MAX.

I may be wrong since I'm using a B550 board so you may wanna ask somebody if it really does support it (fingers crossed)

EDIT2: Yea it seems like they can support it now and its the only version for B450s

Thanks for your help, really do appreciate it! I've ended up buying a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II motherboard, it should support the 5000 series with the latest BIOS update.