8th gen laptop and eGPU combo. Asking for insights

Here we are. It is 2021 and hardware prices have gone through the roof. 😃 Try and squeeze more time and life out of an older purchase? Or simply wait for better times?

My daughter has a Lenovo Yoga 730 2-in-1 with an i7 8550U (4 cores, 8 threads) and 16GB ram. It came with the gtx1050 option. It has TB3 as well. It's still a decent laptop for her creative uses but she's just beginning to become more interested in gaming. Light gaming to be clear.

A fairly bad time for this to happen as we all know. But there is some good news to this. I do have an RTX 2060 KO Ultra doing absolutely nothing. I also have a cheapo 1080p 144Hz TN panel that is also doing nothing.

I'm wondering if picking up something like a Razer Core X for less than $400CAD would be a decent way of both giving her the means to play some light gaming with her friends while keeping the money spent to a minimum until things are somewhat back to normal. She's more interested in a new desktop than me getting her another laptop, just so you know. And I agree with her. But not now.

I've seen other threads here with this processor paired with 1070 based eGPU's. Those threads are old though and rules are rules. So a new thread it is. I would expect the 2060 to probably perform about the same? I think?? I hope? 😃 

I don't expect to get the full performance out of the 2060 but if anyone has any experience with a similar processor and a 2060 or even 10 series over TB3, your shared experiences or other insights would be greatly appreciated..

I don't want to throw money away and would rather wait if this config is even remotely terrible.

Cheers! 

17 minutes ago, Theorica said:

i7 8550U

A 1.8GHz CPU won't be a great experience.

18 minutes ago, Theorica said:

Razer Core X

Over priced,build your own:

https://egpu.io/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566