Need advices on headset

onscreenname

Hello folks!

My HyperX cloud II got broken so I need a new one to replace it. Right now I am planning on getting the Sennheiser GSP300 or Audio - technica ATH-M30x or hyperX cloud ... again....

Purpose: mainly for gaming (voice chat a lot so I need a loud and clear micro), listening to music (orchestral, metal, rock, jazz) and of course, movies.

Off topic: I also want to get some DAC/AMP like FiiO E10K or Schiit Hel just to get rid of buzzing (my hyperX micro was often complained for being extremely buzzing. My motherboard was a B85M and I just upgraded to B460M mag mortar recently but haven't got a chance to test the hyperX mic (don't know if that old mb was the cause of buzzing). So my question is: Which headset fits my purposes most and do I really have to get DAC/AMP.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Colgate124 said:

If you want a bluetooth amp/dac the fiio btr3k is great 

Actually, I prefers 'wired' stuffs as they are cheaper and I don't have to worry about their connectivity or battery

8 hours ago, onscreenname said:

Hello folks!

My HyperX cloud II got broken so I need a new one to replace it. Right now I am planning on getting the Sennheiser GSP300 or Audio - technica ATH-M30x or hyperX cloud ... again....

Purpose: mainly for gaming (voice chat a lot so I need a loud and clear micro), listening to music (orchestral, metal, rock, jazz) and of course, movies.

Off topic: I also want to get some DAC/AMP like FiiO E10K or Schiit Hel just to get rid of buzzing (my hyperX micro was often complained for being extremely buzzing. My motherboard was a B85M and I just upgraded to B460M mag mortar recently but haven't got a chance to test the hyperX mic (don't know if that old mb was the cause of buzzing). So my question is: Which headset fits my purposes most and do I really have to get DAC/AMP.

Thanks!

I would strongly recommend the MH752 since the DAC/amp of that which comes with it isn't half bad. You've got software to customize sound and stuff as well. The mic is great.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

I have the sennheiser gsp 300 and I like them a lot.  Comfortable with glasses even after long hours.  They can get hot during summer as they are closed back.  The sound isolation is quite good and you can listen to stuff at really high volume without sound leaking.  The band is on the small side (I have it stretched all the way) and the clamping force is kinda high sompared to my previous corsair void pro (which I was using at the smallest setting), so mainly it's not a headset for people that have big heads. 

About the sound, it's good but not something out of this world ...  I don't play much fps games so I don't know how they performs with locating enemies and such ... They have some nice imaging but the soundstage is not really wide and I really would like something better in that department.  They are probably as good as a sennheiser closed back can get.  For music listening ... it's hard to describe as they are the best headphones I listened to so far so I don't have much point of comparison there.  They can play well about any kind of music. As for the microphone, I don't use it very often since I don't play with people.  The only time I use it is on the phone and I've never heard people complain about the sound of the microphone. 

I did some headphones test on you tube ... don't know what they are worth and if it's just my hearing or the rest of my setup, but they don't seems to be able to push much bass under 30Hz and the highs seems to cut right at 15 000 Hz ... then again I'm not sure if those headphones test are worth anything or if youtube has something to do with that. 

The thing that bugs me is that the microphone and the cable are not detachable and they have a bit too gamery look to them.  Besides that I think they are good. 

If you don't chose them I would suggest like Tigerleon and check out the coolermaster MH751 or MH752 ... they are about the same as the takstar pro82 which is a nice headphone as I've heard. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

9 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

I would strongly recommend the MH752 since the DAC/amp of that which comes with it isn't half bad. You've got software to customize sound and stuff as well. The mic is great.

the MH752 is great but it's doesn't have noise cancellation and my neighbours are kinda noisy (car garage, wood workshop,...) so I don't want my teamates experience them. I may go for it if the Sennheiser GSP300 is unavaible/ out of stock.

8 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I have the sennheiser gsp 300 and I like them a lot.  Comfortable with glasses even after long hours.  They can get hot during summer as they are closed back.  The sound isolation is quite good and you can listen to stuff at really high volume without sound leaking.  The band is on the small side (I have it stretched all the way) and the clamping force is kinda high sompared to my previous corsair void pro (which I was using at the smallest setting), so mainly it's not a headset for people that have big heads. 

About the sound, it's good but not something out of this world ...  I don't play much fps games so I don't know how they performs with locating enemies and such ... They have some nice imaging but the soundstage is not really wide and I really would like something better in that department.  They are probably as good as a sennheiser closed back can get.  For music listening ... it's hard to describe as they are the best headphones I listened to so far so I don't have much point of comparison there.  They can play well about any kind of music. As for the microphone, I don't use it very often since I don't play with people.  The only time I use it is on the phone and I've never heard people complain about the sound of the microphone. 

I did some headphones test on you tube ... don't know what they are worth and if it's just my hearing or the rest of my setup, but they don't seems to be able to push much bass under 30Hz and the highs seems to cut right at 15 000 Hz ... then again I'm not sure if those headphones test are worth anything or if youtube has something to do with that. 

The thing that bugs me is that the microphone and the cable are not detachable and they have a bit too gamery look to them.  Besides that I think they are good. 

If you don't chose them I would suggest like Tigerleon and check out the coolermaster MH751 or MH752 ... they are about the same as the takstar pro82 which is a nice headphone as I've heard. 

Thanks for the review. My friends also recommended the GSP so I may stick with it but the MH752 is great too. IMO its micro is better than the GSP

Thanks for the review. My friends also recommended the GSP so I may stick with it but the MH752 is great too. IMO its micro is better than the GSP

You are NOT gonna hear any neighbors with volume on I can tell you. The MH752 are good enough for that. Also the comfort according to many are one of the comfiest if not most comfy headset out there.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

4 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

You are NOT gonna hear any neighbors with volume on I can tell you. The MH752 are good enough for that. Also the comfort according to many are one of the comfiest if not most comfy headset out there.

Thanks. Will try both GSP and MH this weekend so right now I can't tell for sure which one to get.

2 minutes ago, onscreenname said:

Thanks. Will try both GSP and MH this weekend so right now I can't tell for sure which one to get.

Just don't forget. The MH752 has software, the sennheiser's don't. So if you want more bass, just turn it up, want more treble? Turn that up also. I mean you can do that with any headphone using different software, but the accessibility is just nice to have I guess.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

9 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Just don't forget. The MH752 has software, the sennheiser's don't. So if you want more bass, just turn it up, want more treble? Turn that up also. I mean you can do that with any headphone using different software, but the accessibility is just nice to have I guess.

I just checked some retail shop and the Cloud Alpha are on sale ~$75 and with 2 years of warranty, . I may grab it instead

Just now, onscreenname said:

I just checked some retail shop and the Cloud Alpha are on sale ~$75 and with 2 years of warranty, . I may grab it instead

Those are good as well. A definite upgrade from the cloud 2's.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Those are good as well. A definite upgrade from the cloud 2's.

Hopefully I won't regret this. As a Cloud user, I hate its crushion so much, too much heat and degenerated after a year of using. I had to spend $40 just to replace their headband, ear cushions then it died, a month later...

too much heat and degenerated after a year of using. I had to spend $40 just to replace their headband, ear cushions then it died, a month later...

If this is a problem too often, I suggest looking into the SHP 9500 or 9500 S. There are the more expensive 9600 which I've heard are better. These are open back headphones. Open back don't isolate so it'll dissipate the heat easier. The sound will sound more natural and open giving a sense of a bigger soundstage.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

6 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

If this is a problem too often, I suggest looking into the SHP 9500 or 9500 S. There are the more expensive 9600 which I've heard are better. These are open back headphones. Open back don't isolate so it'll dissipate the heat easier. The sound will sound more natural and open giving a sense of a bigger soundstage.

Great pick. It'd definitely suit me well, but it is ~$130 at my place so I have to give it up

On 1/30/2021 at 11:54 PM, onscreenname said:

Hello folks!

Thanks!

I'm happy with my turtle beach elite atlas aero.

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)

7 hours ago, Nate. said:

I'm happy with my turtle beach elite atlas aero.

Thank for suggesting. More option to test this weekend 😄

Well with the gsp the sad thing is that you can replace pads only with stock ones ... I would have liked to get some ticker pads for it but I haven't found any yet.  Also they can get a bit hot after several hours of using them. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

13 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Well with the gsp the sad thing is that you can replace pads only with stock ones ... I would have liked to get some ticker pads for it but I haven't found any yet.  Also they can get a bit hot after several hours of using them. 

That's bad news for me then. I may just go out there and get a dedicated 2.1 speaker with the some gaming earbud for my ear's sake.

2 hours ago, onscreenname said:

That's bad news for me then. I may just go out there and get a dedicated 2.1 speaker with the some gaming earbud for my ear's sake.

dedicated speakers are good to have too ... I have both the gsp300 and some passive speakers with an amp ... but earbud ... I would take over ear headphones before earbuds

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to grab the hyperX Alpha last month but then I notice the Aorus rgb m2 512G was on sale for just $95 so I went home with it instead. Came back this morning to get the HyperX Alpha and somehow I stumble upon the Sennheiser HD569 and HD579 and goodness gracious, they're phenomenal. When I was put them on my head, turn on my fav songs and I was like. Schiit this is what I was looking for but I didn't bring enough cash for the HD579 so may be in the next few day then.