Upgrade am3 socket... 955 to 1100t

59 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

M5A97 (1.02) SHOULD have heatsinks over the VRM, just like the updated M5A97 R2.0

Picture of a M5A97 1.02 from eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

I don’t know where my vrm’s are but that is my mobo I’ve uploaded some pics of it closer up and maybe you can point them out. 

040EE2C7-C349-410C-9555-2F64D620EBCD.jpeg

653727F1-2092-425F-94F3-739FFFAEE760.jpeg

4EE0D5B9-B28E-444D-BB49-CA6BC897C62B.jpeg

6EDB1059-CC88-4972-BF54-5766A5534EB7.jpeg

Guys guys guys...... listen here I don’t know who said am3+ is garbage I don’t know who said rx8350 is garbage.....

im doing 4K for $75!!!!!!!!! This thing is a fuckin beast!!!!!!! I used to do 90+% at 1440 now I’m at 75% with 4K.... holy shit..... the cpu is seriously no joke everyone. Maybe benchmarks it’s not good but real life test holy f..... 

I’ll say it again I think I have the best am3+ pc in the country....

now for a serious question I had a hard time aligning the fan with the processor so I’m not sure how well I put on the thermal paste. What can I do to “check” if I put it on good? 

30 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

Guys guys guys...... listen here I don’t know who said am3+ is garbage I don’t know who said rx8350 is garbage.....

im doing 4K for $75!!!!!!!!! This thing is a fuckin beast!!!!!!! I used to do 90+% at 1440 now I’m at 75% with 4K.... holy shit..... the cpu is seriously no joke everyone. Maybe benchmarks it’s not good but real life test holy f..... 

I’ll say it again I think I have the best am3+ pc in the country....

There's the FX-9590.

But that's hard to run.

elephants

23 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

There's the FX-9590.

But that's hard to run.

Ya I would of bought that if my mobo could handle it. 

So I’m running aida64 for one hour to make sure everything is stable and temps don’t go above 80c is that a good test of my thermal paste application????

linus (and steve from gamers nexus) proved to the world that's its really, REALLY  hard to botch thermal paste application. congratulations! if you look at the big blue aluminum fins on your board, you actually have heatsinks on your VRM, the exposed components near your socket are actually capacitors, and those are very robust when it comes to heat. you're good to buy pretty much any cooler for your system. rock on dude!

33 minutes ago, Skunch said:

linus (and steve from gamers nexus) proved to the world that's its really, REALLY  hard to botch thermal paste application. congratulations! if you look at the big blue aluminum fins on your board, you actually have heatsinks on your VRM, the exposed components near your socket are actually capacitors, and those are very robust when it comes to heat. you're good to buy pretty much any cooler for your system. rock on dude!

Thank you very much for the clarification, I swear my computer just keeps getting better and better. 

1 hour ago, Computersarethebest said:

Thank you very much for the clarification, I swear my computer just keeps getting better and better. 

enjoy friend! i just bought a Dark Rock Pro 4 for my motherboard and cpu, which are 10 years old and still going strong!

can you imagine if you bought that motherboard when it was released? it's a fantastic value regardless!

7 hours ago, Skunch said:

enjoy friend! i just bought a Dark Rock Pro 4 for my motherboard and cpu, which are 10 years old and still going strong!

can you imagine if you bought that motherboard when it was released? it's a fantastic value regardless!

Damn your not fin around over there, I’m going to be spending a lot of time today trying to find the quietest cpu fan possible. I really don’t want to hear my computer while watching movies. I’m leaning towards the dark rock 4 but I have the option to get the cooler master 212 for like $15 so I’m not sure what to do. 

I did get that board brand new!!! I custom built this pc through ncix a lot time ago 

4 hours ago, Computersarethebest said:

Damn your not fin around over there, I’m going to be spending a lot of time today trying to find the quietest cpu fan possible. I really don’t want to hear my computer while watching movies. I’m leaning towards the dark rock 4 but I have the option to get the cooler master 212 for like $15 so I’m not sure what to do. 

I did get that board brand new!!! I custom built this pc through ncix a lot time ago 

awesome dude, glad to hear you're getting a return on your investment! my current motherboard was given to me as part of a bunch of scrap. turns out it works fine, and I've been using it for years

as with all new parts, you get what you pay for, I actually upgraded from a hyper 212 specifically because i wanted to overclock, and it was too loud! you get what you pay for, the 212 isnt a bad product, but it is definitely worth 15 bucks. it's also only rated to dissipate about 140-150 watts of heat. not great if you plan on overclocking. if you're not going to overclock, you could buy a 120mm noctua (or what have you) fan, and use the mounts that come with the 212, I can verify that works. it will be quiet, but wont be any more effective at cooling. it might even be less effective because many quiet fans have lower rpms, so again, your mileage may vary.

for reference, I have an asus rampage III Formula, and a 980X overclocked to 4.25ghz. I can mess with the cpu fan curve to make it more quiet, but it's at acceptable levels for me, especially when compared to the 212.

37 minutes ago, Skunch said:

awesome dude, glad to hear you're getting a return on your investment! my current motherboard was given to me as part of a bunch of scrap. turns out it works fine, and I've been using it for years

as with all new parts, you get what you pay for, I actually upgraded from a hyper 212 specifically because i wanted to overclock, and it was too loud! you get what you pay for, the 212 isnt a bad product, but it is definitely worth 15 bucks. it's also only rated to dissipate about 140-150 watts of heat. not great if you plan on overclocking. if you're not going to overclock, you could buy a 120mm noctua (or what have you) fan, and use the mounts that come with the 212, I can verify that works. it will be quiet, but wont be any more effective at cooling. it might even be less effective because many quiet fans have lower rpms, so again, your mileage may vary.

for reference, I have an asus rampage III Formula, and a 980X overclocked to 4.25ghz. I can mess with the cpu fan curve to make it more quiet, but it's at acceptable levels for me, especially when compared to the 212.

I’m going big, I’m maxing out my mobo. From what I see be quiet is a pretty damn quiet cpu cooler. I bought the be quiet dark rock 4, 16 more gigs of ram for a combined total of 32gigs and one more fan because my case can handle one more fan. I can officially say after this next install I can’t do anything at all to this pc (except graphics card but we’ll see) 

that’s amazing that u got this board for free, it does what it’s supposed to do!

the 212 is nice but I want the quietest possible and I’ll be running this pc infill who knows when. Anything breaks I’ll fix it. I don’t plan on over clocking right now, I honestly can’t believe how powerful this fx processor is stock. 

4 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I had my FX8370 clocked stable @ 5ghz with the wraith cooler, but, my former 6 core did almost as well on the benchmarks.

I'm glad you got it running well.

Ya so far so good I can’t complain. My temps r nice too but I want it quieter... I just measured and my damn case won’t accept the be quiets fans 😞 none of them 😞.... I’m on the lookout again 

Just now, Computersarethebest said:

Ya so far so good I can’t complain. My temps r nice too but I want it quieter... I just measured and my damn case won’t accept the be quiets fans 😞 none of them 😞.... I’m on the lookout again 

That’s crazy that u got it up to 5 the kid before me was doing 4.4.... I might push it one day when I’m willing to buy a new comp if anything fs up. 

2 minutes ago, Computersarethebest said:

What size fans do you need for your case? When I bought my Dark Rock Pro 4, I also bought two be Quiet! pure wings fans for the front of my case, and they are just generic 120mm fans. They even fit into the custom brackets of my weird 10 year old thermaltake case.

5 minutes ago, Skunch said:

What size fans do you need for your case? When I bought my Dark Rock Pro 4, I also bought two be Quiet! pure wings fans for the front of my case, and they are just generic 120mm fans. They even fit into the custom brackets of my weird 10 year old thermaltake case.

Sorry I meant to type my case won’t accept the be quiet cpu cooler. My case can accept 120mm fans but these cpu coolers are huge, I’m glad I looked into this right now.

I think I’m going with the noctua nh-u9s it has a 92mm fan. Must be better than my stock fan

Sorry I meant to type my case won’t accept the be quiet cpu cooler. My case can accept 120mm fans but these cpu coolers are huge, I’m glad I looked into this right now.

I think I’m going with the noctua nh-u9s it has a 92mm fan. Must be better than my stock fan

errrrrr I dunno dude, You'll may paying more for less. Noctua is the big daddy of cooling, but it may be worth it to get a different case. a 92mm fan is pretty small, and on average will need to run faster (louder) to stay as cool as 120mm.

It's your call.

3 minutes ago, Skunch said:

errrrrr I dunno dude, You'll may paying more for less. Noctua is the big daddy of cooling, but it may be worth it to get a different case. a 92mm fan is pretty small, and on average will need to run faster (louder) to stay as cool as 120mm.

It's your call.

I know that but my stock cooler is only 70mm and points down. so I’m hoping this one will run much quieter and shoot the air right out the back 

I know that but my stock cooler is only 70mm and points down. so I’m hoping this one will run much quieter and shoot the air right out the back 

I'm sure it will be an improvement! I always buy with the plan to upgrade in the future, and that ends up making me spend more lol. Like I mentioned before, if you're running at stock frequencies, you'll probably be fine.

2 minutes ago, Skunch said:

I'm sure it will be an improvement! I always buy with the plan to upgrade in the future, and that ends up making me spend more lol. Like I mentioned before, if you're running at stock frequencies, you'll probably be fine.

Ya for sure, the db is very low on the new fan so we’ll see. I really like my case because it’s a rack mount case and it fits perfect in my spot. And also this fan is half the price of the be quiet one!!!!

Just now, Computersarethebest said:

Ya for sure, the db is very low on the new fan so we’ll see. I really like my case because it’s a rack mount case and it fits perfect in my spot. And also this fan is half the price of the be quiet one!!!!

oh damn rack mount cases are f'ing TASTY

I totally understand now. Do you have exhaust fan(s) on the back of your case? if so I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU fan pushing air towards the back, Maybe a low-profile 120 pushing down wouldn't be a bad idea?

Setup almost complete!

image.jpg

Sexy hifi setup. The network switch tickles my fancy as well.

5 minutes ago, Skunch said:

oh damn rack mount cases are f'ing TASTY

I totally understand now. Do you have exhaust fan(s) on the back of your case? if so I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU fan pushing air towards the back, Maybe a low-profile 120 pushing down wouldn't be a bad idea?

I do, I was thinking about the 120 pushing down but I’m not sure if it’ll fit. My case has a stupid hard drive holder right beside the cpu so it might interfere.

4 minutes ago, Skunch said:

Sexy hifi setup. The network switch tickles my fancy as well.

😉 I make my own cables and have ran tons of Ethernet throughout the house. More to come.