CPU over temperature error....?

Bingbear
Go to solution Solved by DeViLzzz,

In the case of broken sensors, I'm guessing that means nothing to worry about?

Well it means that you will not get accurate temps from the BIOS readings and so what I would do now is just use multiple programs to get some readings of your cpu temps in Windows and see if they are similar.  If they are then all is fine in my opinion.  The only thing safer would be of course getting a proper working board used or new.

Heya!

Been following LTT on youtube for a while now, so when i finally ran in to a problem, I figured I would try the forum for help...

For the last few months I've been getting a "CPU over temperature error" when booting. Bios temps shows 124 degrees C from a cold start (PC has been off for around 12 hours). I've tried updating bios, cleaning CPU/heatsink and replacing the thermal goop. Just now I even tried reseating the CPU, and bios still shows abnormally high temps with the same over temperature error in boot. Checking temps from inside windows shows much lower temps (around 30-40s while idle, and 55-70s while load). Does anyone have any idea what might be the solution? 

Sys specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245 (clocked at 2,9ghz)
MB: Asus M2N68-AM Plus (Bios verision 1804)

GPU: MSI Radeon HD 5870

RAM: 4gigs of unknown make

PSU: Corsair CS 450W

HDD: Samsung HD322HJ

Would appreciate any help I could get!

Kind regards

Bingbear

It could be just broken temperature sensors on the motherboard.  Simple as that.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It could be just broken temperature sensors on the motherboard.  Simple as that.

Or that software constantly screws up as we've been finding out lately.

Well it means that you will not get accurate temps from the BIOS readings and so what I would do now is just use multiple programs to get some readings of your cpu temps in Windows and see if they are similar.  If they are then all is fine in my opinion.  The only thing safer would be of course getting a proper working board used or new.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S