i7-8700 (non-k) and ram speeds

BlueNO

hey forums,

i have a i7-8700 and a rtx 3070 and my friend who has a r5-3600 and a 1660ti is getting better fps then me and doesnt have lag spikes on the game we play.

he has 32gb 3200mhz ram. i have 16gb 2666mhx ram the game we play minimum is 16gb of ram. it takes a good bit of ram. 

is it worth upgrading to atleast 3200mhz?

13 minutes ago, BlueNO said:

hey forums,

i have a i7-8700 and a rtx 3070 and my friend who has a r5-3600 and a 1660ti is getting better fps then me and doesnt have lag spikes on the game we play.

he has 32gb 3200mhz ram. i have 16gb 2666mhx ram the game we play minimum is 16gb of ram. it takes a good bit of ram. 

is it worth upgrading to atleast 3200mhz?

No. There will barley be any performance difference. RAM prices are also up, which makes it even harder too justify

(Also if you have a B series board your RAM can't even go past 2666)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

No. There will barley be any performance difference. RAM prices are also up, which makes it even harder too justify

what do you think the issue will be?

I am going to assume those games are multiplayer. Those "lag spikes" are related to other things more than ram. Your internet connection, apps running in the background, your ISP, your location, your CPU, storage device where you are running the games from. I wouldnt get higher speed ram in the hopes of reducing ping and/or "lag spikes".

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

I am going to assume those games are multiplayer. Those "lag spikes" are related to other things more than ram. Your internet connection, apps running in the background, your ISP, your location, your CPU, storage device where you are running the games from. I wouldnt get higher speed ram in the hopes of reducing ping and/or "lag spikes".

im hardwired with speeds or around 400 down and 120 up

Just now, BlueNO said:

im hardwired with speeds or around 400 down and 120 up

Your connection speed has no influence on your ping.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Your connection speed has no influence on your ping.

ping is low and better then his he gets around 10 i get 3 to 5

3 minutes ago, BlueNO said:

ping is low and better then his he gets around 10 i get 3 to 5

I am hoping that ping is to the game server and not on some random server on speedtest.net. If thats the case there are still lots of variables in question, adding to the ones I listed below; your router, your modem, your ethernet controller on your motherboard. Best thing to do at this point would be monitoring if those spikes are caused by your CPU/DISK/GPU. Finding the exact cause of ping spikes is probably the hardest thing to do in the computer troubleshooting.

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am hoping that ping is to the game server and not on some random server on speedtest.net. If thats the case there are still lots of variables in question, adding to the ones I listed below; your router, your modem, your ethernet controller on your motherboard. Best thing to do at this point would be monitoring if those spikes are caused by your CPU/DISK/GPU. Finding the exact cause of ping spikes is probably the hardest thing to do in the computer troubleshooting.

ok, thank you for your help