Asus Rog Throttlestop problem EDP OTHER and PL 1

LunarKairos
Go to solution Solved by LunarKairos,
On 1/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, LunarKairos said:

Did a bios update aswell as one was available somehow. Hope it stays like that.

SOLVED - I reinstalled my laptop. not actually an fix for others but I'm sure I wouldn't have found the problem

SO i have an issue on my laptop and for some reason pl1 and edp other are always turn on yellow then red, this happens even though my cpu never goes above 80c yet it still throttles. So like when i disable BD PROCHOT it does clock up normally then when its off it locks at 0.78ghz at 4.3W. I normally un at a -80 undervolt but even without it does the same 
NO XTU IS NOT INSTALLED but it does show these devices under every cpu.

image.png

image.png

image.png

BD PROCHOT is a signal path to your CPU. It allows other sensors on your motherboard or in your power adapter to send a throttling signal directly to your CPU. When this happens, your CPU will get locked to 798 MHz regardless of load. Your screenshot shows this is happening with your CPU at 48°C and only 4.3W of power consumption. There does not appear to be any logical reason for your CPU to be throttling. 

The usual cause is a cheap sensor that is defective. It is telling your CPU to do some extreme throttling even when there is no reason for this. I know many Dell laptops have a sensor built into their power adapters that can go bad and cause this problem. You can try a different power adapter. If that does not fix it then you usually have to replace the motherboard. If you are under warranty, that is a hassle. If the warranty is up, that is going to be an expensive repair. Most people just use ThrottleStop and disable the BD PROCHOT signal path so outside sensors cannot force your CPU to throttle. The CPU will still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot. PROCHOT (processor hot) throttling and BD PROCHOT throttling sound the same but are completely different. 

The 10750H has a 45W TDP rating. Some laptops set the long term turbo power limit to 45W internally so during any long term test or game, the CPU will throttle so it does not exceed 45W. This will trigger PL1 under CORE and EDP OTHER under RING to light up red at the exact same time. The box lighting up under CORE is the important one. PL1 is power limit throttling. What do you have your turbo power limits set to in the TPL window? Did you check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box? This can help some laptops but not all. Some laptops enforce the 45W TDP limit and there is nothing you can do about it. The 10750H is a powerful CPU when allowed to run at 80W or 90W. When limited to 45W, it will throttle.

After you disable BD PROCHOT, go play a game with the Log File option checked. If you have an Nvidia GPU, check that in the Options window so your GPU data will be included in the same file. The log file will show how your computer is performing. Attach one to your next post or copy and paste the data to http://www.pastebin.com 

What do you have your turbo power limits set to in the TPL window? Did you check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box?

All these options were grayed out as it was on its defualt config, aka bios with oc/undervolt disabled. And yes i did try to check it but it didnt change anything. With it disbaled it works fine but i dont wanna fry a new cpu (even with good fans) as it doesn't reach 90C anyways unless like running cinebench r20image.png.54aa955424458d81b2d3209915334522.png
TPL is at 90 Long 107 Short 

Might just do a system restore and see if that works.

what's the make & model of your laptop? And does the CPU always get stuck at 780Mhz, or only when Throttlestop is running/active?

i agree with unclewebb's suggestion to try a different power adapter, I'll extrapolate on that once I hear the make of your machine!

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

8 hours ago, Natty Ice said:

what's the make & model of your laptop? And does the CPU always get stuck at 780Mhz, or only when Throttlestop is running/active?

i agree with unclewebb's suggestion to try a different power adapter, I'll extrapolate on that once I hear the make of your machine!

Asus Rog Strix G15 - It was stuck all the time even when plugged in.

problem fixed by doing system restore, i have no idea what even made it be stuck.

1 hour ago, LunarKairos said:

Asus Rog Strix G15 - It was stuck all the time even when plugged in.

problem fixed by doing system restore, i have no idea what even made it be stuck.

glad to hear it was an easy fix!

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

1 hour ago, Natty Ice said:

glad to hear it was an easy fix!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, LunarKairos said:

SOLVED - I reinstalled my laptop. not actually an fix for others but I'm sure I wouldn't have found the problem