1080ti 60-65C in a custom loop

Go to solution Solved by MoonFrost,

So.... I took the block apart. And guess who's the dumbass who didnt read instructions clearly?

<- this guy.

On all 7 screws, I used the M2.5x6's

They were supposed to be the M2.5x4's 

3 years.. fml

I think I fixed the problem, after a gaming session temps were around mid 40's with all my fans on 1,000 rpm. Now I still gotta buy a temp sensor. If someone has an idea where they'd put one in my case that wouldn't look ugly lemme know. Im thinking either the reservoir port where the EK plug is currently, or the plug under the 90degree fitting on the graphics card, and somehow hide the cord. (my radiators dont have extra ports, just one inlet and one outlet)

Glad to know it was indeed something fundamental like block mounting and not fan orientation or loop,order. You can also consider inline temp sensor such as the alphacool one (German name escapes me) but just search inline temp sensor, the are quite discreet. @jaslion

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

Glad to know it was indeed something fundamental like block mounting and not fan orientation or loop,order. You can also consider inline temp sensor such as the alphacool one (German name escapes me) but just search inline temp sensor, the are quite discreet. @jaslion

Alright, I'll look for that as well. I was leaning towards the other type (stopper?) so I wouldn't have to redo/cut down a tube and probably mess up lol. As always thanks for the help. 

I tend to do the bottom plug on the gpu. Can be easily hidden, its free and in the best spot for me as its after hitting all the hot spots in the loop.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I tend to do the bottom plug on the gpu. Can be easily hidden, its free and in the best spot for me as its after hitting all the hot spots in the loop.

You got a specific plug you use? I'm tumbling down the review hole and can't make a decision. Every one I find that I like has a few negative reviews about leaking or faulty sensors lol. 

2 hours ago, MoonFrost said:

You got a specific plug you use? I'm tumbling down the review hole and can't make a decision. Every one I find that I like has a few negative reviews about leaking or faulty sensors lol. 

Think they are all Bitspower. Haven’t had an issue with any of them. Not something that would fail or go bad. Not in the long term anyway. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 2/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Think they are all Bitspower. Haven’t had an issue with any of them. Not something that would fail or go bad. Not in the long term anyway. 

Ok thanks, one is on its way. What temperature is a good temperature to shoot for? At 1000 rpm for my 6 fans, my gpu maxes around 50C during gaming since overclocking it. And after I stop the game, it drops to 39/40C, so I'm assuming my water temp is under 40C max.  I got my tubing from EKWB and I think they rate the Petg 40C, but that seems low compared to what I've read elsewhere about tubing. 

1 hour ago, MoonFrost said:

Ok thanks, one is on its way. What temperature is a good temperature to shoot for? At 1000 rpm for my 6 fans, my gpu maxes around 50C during gaming since overclocking it. And after I stop the game, it drops to 39/40C, so I'm assuming my water temp is under 40C max.  I got my tubing from EKWB and I think they rate the Petg 40C, but that seems low compared to what I've read elsewhere about tubing. 

Given what rads were used, 50 seems fine at that fan speed. I hate seeing my gpu temp in the high 40's. But I dont really oc it much as it doesnt have much room to do so.

40c does seem pretty low. My water normally sits between 35-40.

50 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Given what rads were used, 50 seems fine at that fan speed. I hate seeing my gpu temp in the high 40's. But I dont really oc it much as it doesnt have much room to do so.

40c does seem pretty low. My water normally sits between 35-40.

Yea.. Slim rads with this case is rough with overclocks, gpu is mid 40s at stock with the cpu at 1.28v/5ghz and vrm in same loop.

Thanks again, I'll keep the liquid around 35-40 and pray the plug doesn't leak into my psu shroud that has holes in it, which happens to be directly underneath the gpu plug.. 

So... Installed the sensor, it reports w. Out temp in bios, as well as my screen in the motherboard itself. Trying to figure out how to setup a fan curve that uses the sensor reading. 

Corsair Commander Pro isn't showing a Water Out Temp to direct the curve at, only the 6 cores for cpu plus package, my 1080ti, and 7 or 8 general temp probes that are labeled 1-8. I'm trying to figure out how to find out which is which, but nothing is making sense with HWMonitor either

I just use my mobo software to see the fluid temp. I don’t have hardware info installed on that one. So not sure where it’s at.  But i hear speed fan can set fan curves based on any input including water temp. 

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

I just use my mobo software to see the fluid temp. I don’t have hardware info installed on that one. So not sure where it’s at.  But i hear speed fan can set fan curves based on any input including water temp. 

Apparently I needed to plug in the sensor into the commander pro itself in order to set fan curves to follow water temp instead of my gpu. I thought it would detect it if I just put it into the motherboard header. Oh well. 

Edjt: For a final update I hope.. : my ambient is roughly 21C

after a session gaming: coolant = 41C

at idle: coolant = 31C

That's with the case as is, with dust filters and glass panels with fans peaking around 1200rpm.

I think I might flip the front radiator to also make it an exhaust in the future, id remove the glass panels and/or dust filters but I have a very curious cat that I caught leaning on the tubing and would hate a CATastrophe if left unattended.