Looking for a specific laptop

I recently posted here in search of a laptop for the wife. And, grudgingly, I had to accept that the Apple was her best choice. 

However, that sparked up some interest of mine. Seeing a shiny new toy at home does that. You want one, too. My needs, however, are a bit off the mainstream. 

So I compiled a list of mandatory and nice to have things. 

Mandatory: 

-13" (or compact 14") size.

-Metal enclosure

-Tough build. I most likely won't drop it lots of times, but it'll be a daily driver and be carried around a lot.   

-USB A & HDMI. 

-Long battery life

-16 gig ram, at least 300gig ssd 

-touchscreen (I put that last because I could do without on a machine that is otherwise perfect)

Nice to have: 

-A keyboard that feels good to a die hard mechanical keyboard geek

-some capable GPU

-RJ45 port

Also, I'd like a reputable brand. 

This machine will become a dualboot system with win10 and linux (most likely debian or ubuntu).

I don't have to have the latest model and can do with a 2019 machine. 

My budget is round €1200. 

I already looked at the HP Envy and the HP ProBook 430 and 440. I liked them, but could find something that bothers me on each. 

2 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

Tough build. I most likely won't drop it lots of times, but it'll be a daily driver and be carried around a lot.   

https://na.panasonic.com/us/computers-tablets-handhelds/computers/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Tough plastic will be far more durable than metal.

Consider a Thinkpad, maybe an X-series since you want something smaller.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Tough plastic will be far more durable than metal.

Consider a Thinkpad, maybe an X-series since you want something smaller.

Sorry, metal enclosure is mandatory. 

2 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

I meant tough build as in 'well made conventional' 

Not as in "I might drop it in the mud during a firefight". 

Heh, the toughbooks are the only laptops I know that are guaranteed to survive abuse. Everything else? Not so much, and with the latest trend of "thin thin THINNER!" fragility is all but assured.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What will the use case be? Gaming, editing video's,...?

It might involve gaming, if the machine is capable and I have the time. 

Apart from that, I'll do networking things via linux which basically requires a potato. 

Some content editing and lots of web browsing. 

I'd like a machine that'll last me a long time. 

Just now, el_murdoque said:

It might involve gaming, if the machine is capable and I have the time. 

Apart from that, I'll do networking things via linux which basically requires a potato. 

Some content editing and lots of web browsing. 

I'd like a machine that'll last me a long time. 

Well the asus g14 works. I mean you want a small but strong laptop and well that is about as good as it gets price wise too. Just get the last gen g14. It doesn't have a rj45 jack tho so will have to use a usb adapter sadly because that has now become a trend even on gaming laptops.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Well the asus g14 works. I mean you want a small but strong laptop and well that is about as good as it gets price wise too. Just get the last gen g14. It doesn't have a rj45 jack tho so will have to use a usb adapter sadly because that has now become a trend even on gaming laptops.

Yeah, that's a bummer. I need it, though. Some of my work requires ssh'ing into a network that has no WiFi. 

8 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

Yeah, that's a bummer. I need it, though. Some of my work requires ssh'ing into a network that has no WiFi. 

I can't really find anything else that is better than a ryzen 4000 series with integrated graphics. Those are fine for light games and esports titles but not AAA games.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I can't really find anything else that is better than a ryzen 4000 series with integrated graphics. Those are fine for light games and esports titles but not AAA games.

Well, I can make do with a dongle, even though I hate these. I checked up on the Asus G14. The availability situation is not very good in EU, and the prices are higher than the US prices for some reason. The problem, however, is that those available here don't have a webcam. Last year this would have been a welcome feature for me - But I will use that thing to attend zoom meetings.