Ethernet Adapter Question

BoxTurtle
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, turtlecraft said:

Well anyways I was wondering if there is any advantage of geting their adapter versus a thunderbolt or usb-c adapter that would cost half the price. 

Normally the integrated nics are better than usb ones, so often a bit faster, and less issues, and lower cpu usage. And you norally have fewer issues with things like pxe boot compared to using usb nics.

But for basic use a usb nic woudl work about the same.

So a friend of mein has a Thinkpad X1 yoga Gen 4 and he needs a ethernet adapter for his laptop. The laptop has thunderbolt and usb ports so I could just get him a thunderbolt or usb-c to ethernet adapter. The thing is the thinkpad has a port on it specifally for ethernet. You can buy a adapter for the thinkpad that you plug into this special port. It is one labled 7 on in the image below. Well anyways I was wondering if there is any advantage of geting their adapter versus a thunderbolt or usb-c adapter that would cost half the price. 

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 7.58.13 PM.png

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

1 minute ago, turtlecraft said:

Well anyways I was wondering if there is any advantage of geting their adapter versus a thunderbolt or usb-c adapter that would cost half the price. 

Normally the integrated nics are better than usb ones, so often a bit faster, and less issues, and lower cpu usage. And you norally have fewer issues with things like pxe boot compared to using usb nics.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is pxe booting exactly?

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!