RTX 3080 + I5 9600KF OR RTX 3070 + i9 9900KF

zxxTheDragonxxz
Go to solution Solved by Bobbysixjp,
1 hour ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

I was planning to change my i5 9600kf for an i9 9900kf and buy a RTX 3070.

But i could buy an RTX 3080 and stick with my i5.

BTW my motherboard is a Rog Strix Z370-H (planing to use the i9 in stock).

Difficult choice but here are my thoughts - you might experience issues using a 6 core CPU with such a high-end GPU (depending on the game and the resolution). I had a 8600K (basically the same as the 9600K) in 2018 and was seeing very high CPU usage (almost 100%) in certain games such as Ghost Recon Wildlands (paired with a GTX 1080). Fast forward 3 years and games are becoming more CPU intensive, of course this heavily depends on the kind of games you play.

In a perfect world, you would be able to pair the 3080 with a 9900K, but if you cannot stretch your budget to this, then go for a 3080 now and aim to update your CPU as your next upgrade. Buying a 3080 now will mean you have a longer time before you have to upgrade your GPU and you will be able to play at higher frame rates both now and in the future. 

Regarding the performance of the 3070, if you are interested in ray tracing, then I would strongly suggest that you get the 3080. I had a 3070 and found the performance hit to be too much when enabling ray tracing to make it worthwhile (I ended up selling my 3070 and bought a RX 6800). A 3080 should give you decent performance even with ray tracing enabled. 

TLDR; get the 3080 now and aim to upgrade your CPU as soon as possible. 

3 minutes ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

what resolution do you play at?

3 minutes ago, Duckster said:

what resolution do you play at?

For now i'll stick with my ultrawide  (2560*1080). 

But in the future i am planning to buy a 1440p display.

21 minutes ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

I'd just say get a 3080 and maybe upgrade down the line. Intel has alder lake-s chips (12th gen) coming this year with pcie-gen 5 support, up to 16 cores, and ddr5 ram support, and amd's 6th generation should be similar. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

9 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I'd just say get a 3080 and maybe upgrade down the line. Intel has alder lake-s chips (12th gen) coming this year with pcie-gen 5 support, up to 16 cores, and ddr5 ram support, and amd's 6th generation should be similar. 

the problem is that i have stutters with my 2060 , i believe that with the 3080 this will be worse right?

2 minutes ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

the problem is that i have stutters with my 2060 , i believe that with the 3080 this will be worse right?

What's the logic there? Like why do you think that you'd get worse stutters with a 3080, I'm genuinely interested. 

Usually you'd be stuttering if you're maxing out on some type of resource, whether that be vram, ram, perhaps just cpu cores, lol, It could also be the fault of the drivers for your hardware, or just the game. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What's the logic there? Like why do you think that you'd get worse stutters with a 3080, I'm genuinely interested. 

Usually you'd be stuttering if you're maxing out on some type of resource, whether that be vram, ram, perhaps just cpu cores, lol, It could also be the fault of the drivers for your hardware, or just the game. 

if i am  maxing out the i5 in certain points with the 2060 i'll max out more times with the 3080 or am i wrong?

Just now, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

if i am  maxing out the i5 in certain points with the 2060 i'll max out more times with the 3080 or am i wrong?

Not unless you increase the workload. It's less about the GPU and more about what's going on. Of course, one can hold back the other, but it takes pretty extreme circumstances to get there. 100% utilization on your CPU Does not necessarily mean It's bottlenecking. 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Not unless you increase the workload. It's less about the GPU and more about what's going on. Of course, one can hold back the other, but it takes pretty extreme circumstances to get there. 100% utilization on your CPU Does not necessarily mean It's bottlenecking. 

do you think that with  the 3080  the stutters will decrease?

1 hour ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

Difficult choice but here are my thoughts - you might experience issues using a 6 core CPU with such a high-end GPU (depending on the game and the resolution). I had a 8600K (basically the same as the 9600K) in 2018 and was seeing very high CPU usage (almost 100%) in certain games such as Ghost Recon Wildlands (paired with a GTX 1080). Fast forward 3 years and games are becoming more CPU intensive, of course this heavily depends on the kind of games you play.

In a perfect world, you would be able to pair the 3080 with a 9900K, but if you cannot stretch your budget to this, then go for a 3080 now and aim to update your CPU as your next upgrade. Buying a 3080 now will mean you have a longer time before you have to upgrade your GPU and you will be able to play at higher frame rates both now and in the future. 

Regarding the performance of the 3070, if you are interested in ray tracing, then I would strongly suggest that you get the 3080. I had a 3070 and found the performance hit to be too much when enabling ray tracing to make it worthwhile (I ended up selling my 3070 and bought a RX 6800). A 3080 should give you decent performance even with ray tracing enabled. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

7 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

thanks i think i'll do that.

26 minutes ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

thanks i think i'll do that.

That's probably the best thing to do - but keep in mind that the full performance of the 3080 could well be limited by your current CPU (depending on the resolution you play at and the game). The whole 'how many cores do you need for gaming' debate is very dependent on the games you play and the resolution that you play at (as well as what else you use your PC for). There are some people who might think you are crazy to pair a 6 core CPU with a 3080 but if your plan is to upgrade as soon as financially possible, then you should be ok. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |

4 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

That's probably the best thing to do - but keep in mind that the full performance of the 3080 could well be limited by your current CPU (depending on the resolution you play at and the game). The whole 'how many cores do you need for gaming' debate is very dependent on the games you play and the resolution that you play at (as well as what else you use your PC for). There are some people who might think you are crazy to pair a 6 core CPU with a 3080 but if your plan is to upgrade as soon as financially possible, then you should be ok. 

Thanks a lot!

And when i change the 9600kf for the 9900kf do you think my motherboard will work fine with the i9 in stock settings?

2 hours ago, zxxTheDragonxxz said:

Thanks a lot!

And when i change the 9600kf for the 9900kf do you think my motherboard will work fine with the i9 in stock settings?

Yeah - it should be fine. I actually run my 9900K stock. Of course you can OC but that comes with a lot of extra heat, especially with the 9900K. 4.8-4.9 Ghz doesn't seem to require that much extra voltage (and heat) but after that it is diminishing returns in my opinion. And the difference of 200-300 Mhz in games has very little impact on real world performance. I'm pretty sure that your motherboard has some type of mce (multi core enhancement) which will boost all cores to 4.7 Ghz when enabled. 

Mhz |