Opinions on putting i9-9900k in my MSI B360 GAMING Arctic

Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,

Welcome to the forums!!!

I don't know how well the board will hold up with power delivery with a 9900K but since your locked down on frequency since its not a Z390 motherboard, you should be fine. 

Hey!

So I got an MSI B360 GAMING Arctic as a motherboard with a i5 8400. And I was planning on changing out my CPU for a more core and threaded one because I do a lot of gaming and editing in After Effects.

This is my PC:

Motherboard: MSI B360 GAMING Arctic

CPU: i5 8400

Ram: 8x4 32gb 2666mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB White

GPU:RX 590 nitro+ gold

PSU:Asus ROG Strix 850G 850W White

I Also have a H100i white.

I know I can't overclock the CPU in a B360 but the K is cheaper in Sweden than the 9900.

product_4_20180402140043_5ac1c70ba4340.png

3 minutes ago, Add3Padd3 said:

I know I can't overclock the CPU in a B360 but the K is cheaper in Sweden than the 9900.

for editing in after effects, I think it's a good move. And I doubt you'd be able to find a 9900T so the 9900K is probably the best option. With the decently sized heat sink, I don't think power throttling is a major problem here, even if the power phases are a bit lacking.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Welcome to the forums!!!

I don't know how well the board will hold up with power delivery with a 9900K but since your locked down on frequency since its not a Z390 motherboard, you should be fine. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"