Laptop Recommendations >1k$

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out because I’m in need of a new laptop. I’ve had a Mac Pro for the last 11 years and it recently died on me. I’ve been advised by friends to leave Apple and look elsewhere to get more for my money. The main uses will be for school and work. At school this laptop will be used for programming. For work it needs to be high powered because it will be running multiple tasks at once without frying the computer. Ideally my budget is under 1k.

The other option is investing into a pc and just getting a Chromebook for when I’m out and about. Let me know what you guys think. 

What will you be doing on it more specifically for work? Any preferences? What were the specs for the mac pro? Was it good enough still or better needed?

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What will you be doing on it more specifically for work? Any preferences? What were the specs for the mac pro? Was it good enough still or better needed?

The MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.3 13-Inch (Early 2011/Thunderbolt) features a 32 nm "Sandy Bridge" 2.3 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (2415M), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared level 3 cache, 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-10600) installed in pairs (two 2 GB modules), a 320 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor that shares 384 MB of memory with the system, an integrated FaceTime HD webcam, and an LED-backlit 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).

I didn’t have a chance to use it for work because it died right before I started but I definitely know it wouldn’t have been able to handle the load for work. I don’t really have any preferences.
But one aspect that I’m hesitant with is with this budget would I be getting more out of a pc than a laptop. The budget of a pc plus a Chromebook of some sort would come out cheaper than MacBook 

1 minute ago, Gmail94 said:

The MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.3 13-Inch (Early 2011/Thunderbolt) features a 32 nm "Sandy Bridge" 2.3 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (2415M), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared level 3 cache, 4 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-10600) installed in pairs (two 2 GB modules), a 320 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor that shares 384 MB of memory with the system, an integrated FaceTime HD webcam, and an LED-backlit 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).

I didn’t have a chance to use it for work because it died right before I started but I definitely know it wouldn’t have been able to handle the load for work. I don’t really have any preferences.
But one aspect that I’m hesitant with is with this budget would I be getting more out of a pc than a laptop. The budget of a pc plus a Chromebook of some sort would come out cheaper than MacBook 

But can you use a chromebook for all your on the go needs? Because basically what a chromebook is is a web browser and that is about it. it does have some android app support but it ain't great because ya know not a touchscreen.

Either way building a pc sucks right now so does buying as everything is overpriced and/or out of stock. That and new laptops are literally coming out now.

If your budget is 1k at the most then to get a decent laptop that can function normally you'd have to go used to go for at most a 300$ laptop (plenty of fairly good ones available not a problem) and have enough for a decent budget pc. You do have the luck of not gaming so you can easily get away with a low end cheap gpu aka the only ones still in stock.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

But can you use a chromebook for all your on the go needs? Because basically what a chromebook is is a web browser and that is about it. it does have some android app support but it ain't great because ya know not a touchscreen.

Either way building a pc sucks right now so does buying as everything is overpriced and/or out of stock. That and new laptops are literally coming out now.

If your budget is 1k at the most then to get a decent laptop that can function normally you'd have to go used to go for at most a 300$ laptop (plenty of fairly good ones available not a problem) and have enough for a decent budget pc. You do have the luck of not gaming so you can easily get away with a low end cheap gpu aka the only ones still in stock.

I was looking at waiting for the HP Probook G8 with the new AMD processor but I’m not sure if I can hold out without having anything until it releases