Strix 3090 Power draw and fan issues

Serjju

Hi,

I just got a Strix 3090 and i am having some problems with the 0db fan function.

I would like to mention that my card came with the latest version of the Vbios since when i want to update it, it says that my card already has the latest Vbios on it.

I am using the latest Nvidia driver and i also have GPU Tweak II installed with the 0db function enabled.

The problem starts as soon as i boot up Windows. The fans start spinning at 1000 rpm while the idle board power draw according to GPU-Z is between 60 and 130W.

I have two monitors :

- Samsung Odyssey G7 - 1440p 240hz
- Alienware AW241 - 1080p 240hz

Running one on 240hz and one on 120hz the idle board power draw is 80w.
Running only one monitor (ex. the Samsung) at 1440p 240hz the idle power draw is 60w.

The card sits between 28 - 40c at idle.

The conditions for the fans to idle is are the following

r/nvidia - Strix 3090 Power draw and fan issues

The problem is that the fans never stop spinning because the idle draw is above 50w so they never stop.

The windows power plan is Balanced.
The Nvidia control panel is set to normal power preference (no Adaptive option anymore).
The Windows is a clean install with only GPU-z , Gpu Tweak and Cam installed.

I would really like to find a solution for this as having the fans constantly running really is a let down because although the temps are fine, the idle power draw keeps them spinning.

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Serjju said:

Hi,

I just got a Strix 3090 and i am having some problems with the 0db fan function.

I would like to mention that my card came with the latest version of the Vbios since when i want to update it, it says that my card already has the latest Vbios on it.

I am using the latest Nvidia driver and i also have GPU Tweak II installed with the 0db function enabled.

The problem starts as soon as i boot up Windows. The fans start spinning at 1000 rpm while the idle board power draw according to GPU-Z is between 60 and 130W.

I have two monitors :

- Samsung Odyssey G7 - 1440p 240hz
- Alienware AW241 - 1080p 240hz

Running one on 240hz and one on 120hz the idle board power draw is 80w.
Running only one monitor (ex. the Samsung) at 1440p 240hz the idle power draw is 60w.

The card sits between 28 - 40c at idle.

The conditions for the fans to idle is are the following

r/nvidia - Strix 3090 Power draw and fan issues

The problem is that the fans never stop spinning because the idle draw is above 50w so they never stop.

The windows power plan is Balanced.
The Nvidia control panel is set to normal power preference (no Adaptive option anymore).
The Windows is a clean install with only GPU-z , Gpu Tweak and Cam installed.

I would really like to find a solution for this as having the fans constantly running really is a let down because although the temps are fine, the idle power draw keeps them spinning.

Thank you.

In what BIOS mode is the card now? There should be a BIOS switch on those cards for silent/performance modes. It should be called Q mode on the switch.

It is in the stock mode that it came. Q-mode.

The card also came with the latest bios on it.

The problem is when windows starts in jumps to 100W+ draw and the fans kick in at 1000RPM stable.

After that the power draw stabilizes at around 55-60W but the fans never stop spinning because it never goes below 50W.

17 minutes ago, Serjju said:

the fans never stop spinning because it never goes below 50W

answer^

Solution: undervolting

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler