Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bought a new 1 input to 2 outputs HDMI splitter. Only one screen works at a time. What might be wrong?

I bought an HDMI splitter (1 input, 2 outputs) to project my laptop's screen. It had a port that directly connected to my laptop and connected to two separate HDMI-to-VGA cables, 1 per monitor.

 

Basically, the splitter worked fine when I just had 1 monitor plugged in but both monitors turned off when I tried plugging in the second monitor.

 

I tried switching the ports so it's not a matter of one of the outputs being broken and both monitors have worked fine for me otherwise (this includes the HDMI-to-VGA cables).

 

The first monitor is a HP V221 and the other is a Dell.

 

If it helps, here's the splitter I purchased: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293757405640

 

Thoughts?

 

Edit: when I plug in both screens, Windows settings seems to not detect either screen. If I just have one plugged into the splitter it always shows that screen no problem.

 

Edit 2: Here's my laptop https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

The splitter sends the same signal to both monitors. So I'd assume the monitors need to be identical for this to work. HDMI doesn't support multiple displays on one port or daisy chaining like DP does.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The splitter sends the same signal to both monitors. So I'd assume the monitors need to be identical for this to work. HDMI doesn't support multiple displays on one port or daisy chaining like DP does.

What should I use to display two screens displaying different things and a laptop that provides the signal?

 

My laptop only has 1 HDMI port and 3 USBs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mega2 said:

What should I use to display two screens displaying different things and a laptop that provides the signal?

 

My laptop only has 1 HDMI port and 3 USBs

Which exact laptop model is it? Maybe you're in luck and it supports display out over USB. If not, then I don't think there's much you can do.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

What should I use to display two screens displaying different things and a laptop that provides the signal?

 

My laptop only has 1 HDMI port and 3 USBs

 

You can get a USB docking station to give you an additional video out if your laptop only has one natively. For instance, I use a Targus Travel Dock on a daily basis.

 

USB 3.0 & USB-C Dual Travel Dock

 

It connects via USB 3.0 and provides 2 displays via HDMI and VGA, supporting up to 2k. There are a lot of options available, some supporting features like DisplayPort, 4k output, etc. In general, I suggest looking for one that's DisplayLink certified. The beauty with DisplayLink is that it only requires the DisplayLink driver to get going. You don't need any additional specialized hardware other than a USB 3.0 port (you can in theory use 2.0 but will suffer with bandwidth especially at higher resolutions). And yes, I've even used this thing with Android tablets and it does work; you can use it to output your tablet to a TV or projector.  

 

But if you can provide us with the model of laptop you're using, we can help you find a way to get what you want cheaply as these docking stations cost a pretty penny. The one I use is about 150 bucks CAD. Plus there are fancy ones that will even provide laptop power as they are integrated with a universal power adapter. For instance:

Universal Usb 3 0 Dv4k Docking Station With Power - About Dock Photos  Mtgimage.Org

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Which exact laptop model is it? Maybe you're in luck and it supports display out over USB. If not, then I don't think there's much you can do.

 

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can get a USB docking station to give you an additional video out if your laptop only has one natively. For instance, I use a Targus Travel Dock on a daily basis.

 

USB 3.0 & USB-C Dual Travel Dock

 

It connects via USB 3.0 and provides 2 displays via HDMI and VGA, supporting up to 2k. There are other options available, I suggest looking one that's DisplayLink certified. The beauty with DisplayLink is that it only requires the DisplayLink driver to get going. You don't need any additional specialized hardware other than a USB 3.0 port (you can in theory use 2.0 but will suffer with bandwidth especially at higher resolutions). And yes, I've even used these things with Android tablets and it does work, you can use it to output your tablet to a TV or projector.  

 

But if you can provide us with the model of laptop you're using, we can help you find a way to get what you want cheaply as these docking stations cost a pretty penny. The one I use is about 150 bucks CAD. Plus there are fancy ones that will even provide laptop power as they are integrated with a universal power adapter. 

Sure thing, here's a link to where I bought it from: https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Here's the devide I bought: https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

 

At first glance, it doesn't look like there's any indication of it working or not working

Yea that just looks like a regular USB 3.1 port. From my experience it's usually only thunderbolt ports that have a chance of supporting display out as well.

 

I would say your safest option that would be guaranteed to work is a USB docking station like the ones I mentioned before. They are costly but the great thing about them is that they're a one cable solution. At work I have the bigger Targus Dock and I literally plug in 1 USB 3.0 A cable to get two 1080P displays extended, ethernet, and my keyboard and mouse ready to go.

 

But, I also have had luck with these sort of docks:

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-QGeeM-Multiport-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B08733BK1W/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=USB+3.0+multiport&qid=1611554658&s=electronics&sr=1-5

 

My clients use a Monoprice branded one with their EliteBooks and it works well too. So you might be able to save a bit in the process by getting something like that. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea that just looks like a regular USB 3.1 port. From my experience it's usually only thunderbolt ports that have a chance of supporting display out as well.

 

I would say your safest option that would be guaranteed to work is a USB docking station like the ones I mentioned before. They are costly but the great thing about them is that they're a one cable solution. At work I have the bigger Targus Dock and I literally plug in 1 USB 3.0 A cable to get two 1080P displays extended, ethernet, and my keyboard and mouse ready to go.

 

But, I also have had luck with these sort of docks:

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-QGeeM-Multiport-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B08733BK1W/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=USB+3.0+multiport&qid=1611554658&s=electronics&sr=1-5

 

My clients use a Monoprice branded one with their EliteBooks and it works well too. So you might be able to save a bit in the process by getting something like that. 

Thanks so much, does this work?: https://www.amazon.com/HD-102-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Support/dp/B005HXFARS

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

So just to confirm, do you want to extend the displays? Or do you simply want to duplicate your laptop display or I guess your secondary display to two monitors? 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So just to confirm, do you want to extend the displays? Or do you simply want to duplicate your laptop display or I guess your secondary display to two monitors? 

I'm hoping to extend the display. Will the item I linked work for that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mega2 said:

I'm hoping to extend the display. Will the item I linked work for that?

No. Read the very first bullet point in Amazon's description:

  • THIS UNIT DOES NOT EXTEND MONITORS - ONLY Split one HDMI input signal to two HDMI output signals identical to the input signal

 

A single HDMI port cannot be used to feed multiple monitors with different images. A splitter can only ever provide the same image to multiple monitors.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So just to confirm, do you want to extend the displays? Or do you simply want to duplicate your laptop display or I guess your secondary display to two monitors? 

Do you have any advice for things I can use to create an extended display from my laptop? I don't have any thunderbolt plugs (only a USB-C and 2 USB-A 2.0 ports).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mega2 said:

Do you have any advice for things I can use to create an extended display from my laptop? I don't have any thunderbolt plugs (only a USB-C and 2 USB-A 2.0 ports).

You can go for one of these USB-C Multiport adapters: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0885WDH6S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlpQN1o2SkJKNVNRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIyMDQ0RTNNVlFWN1dVM0hCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTQ3NjgyVVVQMVBKMTNSMjc2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

 

It does not rely on Thunderbolt as people have been using these on their phones as well. So this should give you an additional HDMI out in addition to the one that's natively on your laptop. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can go for one of these USB-C Multiport adapters: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0885WDH6S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlpQN1o2SkJKNVNRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIyMDQ0RTNNVlFWN1dVM0hCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTQ3NjgyVVVQMVBKMTNSMjc2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

 

It does not rely on Thunderbolt as people have been using these on their phones as well. So this should give you an additional HDMI out in addition to the one that's natively on your laptop. 

Awesome, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×