Bought a new 1 input to 2 outputs HDMI splitter. Only one screen works at a time. What might be wrong?

Mega2

I bought an HDMI splitter (1 input, 2 outputs) to project my laptop's screen. It had a port that directly connected to my laptop and connected to two separate HDMI-to-VGA cables, 1 per monitor.

Basically, the splitter worked fine when I just had 1 monitor plugged in but both monitors turned off when I tried plugging in the second monitor.

I tried switching the ports so it's not a matter of one of the outputs being broken and both monitors have worked fine for me otherwise (this includes the HDMI-to-VGA cables).

The first monitor is a HP V221 and the other is a Dell.

If it helps, here's the splitter I purchased: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293757405640

Thoughts?

Edit: when I plug in both screens, Windows settings seems to not detect either screen. If I just have one plugged into the splitter it always shows that screen no problem.

Edit 2: Here's my laptop https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

The splitter sends the same signal to both monitors. So I'd assume the monitors need to be identical for this to work. HDMI doesn't support multiple displays on one port or daisy chaining like DP does.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The splitter sends the same signal to both monitors. So I'd assume the monitors need to be identical for this to work. HDMI doesn't support multiple displays on one port or daisy chaining like DP does.

What should I use to display two screens displaying different things and a laptop that provides the signal?

My laptop only has 1 HDMI port and 3 USBs

1 minute ago, Mega2 said:

What should I use to display two screens displaying different things and a laptop that provides the signal?

Which exact laptop model is it? Maybe you're in luck and it supports display out over USB. If not, then I don't think there's much you can do.

20 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

You can get a USB docking station to give you an additional video out if your laptop only has one natively. For instance, I use a Targus Travel Dock on a daily basis.

USB 3.0 & USB-C Dual Travel Dock

It connects via USB 3.0 and provides 2 displays via HDMI and VGA, supporting up to 2k. There are a lot of options available, some supporting features like DisplayPort, 4k output, etc. In general, I suggest looking for one that's DisplayLink certified. The beauty with DisplayLink is that it only requires the DisplayLink driver to get going. You don't need any additional specialized hardware other than a USB 3.0 port (you can in theory use 2.0 but will suffer with bandwidth especially at higher resolutions). And yes, I've even used this thing with Android tablets and it does work; you can use it to output your tablet to a TV or projector.  

But if you can provide us with the model of laptop you're using, we can help you find a way to get what you want cheaply as these docking stations cost a pretty penny. The one I use is about 150 bucks CAD. Plus there are fancy ones that will even provide laptop power as they are integrated with a universal power adapter. For instance:

Universal Usb 3 0 Dv4k Docking Station With Power - About Dock Photos  Mtgimage.Org

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Which exact laptop model is it? Maybe you're in luck and it supports display out over USB. If not, then I don't think there's much you can do.

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can get a USB docking station to give you an additional video out if your laptop only has one natively. For instance, I use a Targus Travel Dock on a daily basis.

USB 3.0 & USB-C Dual Travel Dock

It connects via USB 3.0 and provides 2 displays via HDMI and VGA, supporting up to 2k. There are other options available, I suggest looking one that's DisplayLink certified. The beauty with DisplayLink is that it only requires the DisplayLink driver to get going. You don't need any additional specialized hardware other than a USB 3.0 port (you can in theory use 2.0 but will suffer with bandwidth especially at higher resolutions). And yes, I've even used these things with Android tablets and it does work, you can use it to output your tablet to a TV or projector.  

But if you can provide us with the model of laptop you're using, we can help you find a way to get what you want cheaply as these docking stations cost a pretty penny. The one I use is about 150 bucks CAD. Plus there are fancy ones that will even provide laptop power as they are integrated with a universal power adapter. 

Sure thing, here's a link to where I bought it from: https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

17 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Here's the devide I bought: https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

At first glance, it doesn't look like there's any indication of it working or not working

10 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Here's the devide I bought: https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6"-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html

At first glance, it doesn't look like there's any indication of it working or not working

Yea that just looks like a regular USB 3.1 port. From my experience it's usually only thunderbolt ports that have a chance of supporting display out as well.

I would say your safest option that would be guaranteed to work is a USB docking station like the ones I mentioned before. They are costly but the great thing about them is that they're a one cable solution. At work I have the bigger Targus Dock and I literally plug in 1 USB 3.0 A cable to get two 1080P displays extended, ethernet, and my keyboard and mouse ready to go.

But, I also have had luck with these sort of docks:

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-QGeeM-Multiport-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B08733BK1W/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=USB+3.0+multiport&qid=1611554658&s=electronics&sr=1-5

My clients use a Monoprice branded one with their EliteBooks and it works well too. So you might be able to save a bit in the process by getting something like that. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea that just looks like a regular USB 3.1 port. From my experience it's usually only thunderbolt ports that have a chance of supporting display out as well.

I would say your safest option that would be guaranteed to work is a USB docking station like the ones I mentioned before. They are costly but the great thing about them is that they're a one cable solution. At work I have the bigger Targus Dock and I literally plug in 1 USB 3.0 A cable to get two 1080P displays extended, ethernet, and my keyboard and mouse ready to go.

But, I also have had luck with these sort of docks:

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-QGeeM-Multiport-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B08733BK1W/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=USB+3.0+multiport&qid=1611554658&s=electronics&sr=1-5

My clients use a Monoprice branded one with their EliteBooks and it works well too. So you might be able to save a bit in the process by getting something like that. 

Thanks so much, does this work?: https://www.amazon.com/HD-102-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Support/dp/B005HXFARS

4 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

So just to confirm, do you want to extend the displays? Or do you simply want to duplicate your laptop display or I guess your secondary display to two monitors? 

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So just to confirm, do you want to extend the displays? Or do you simply want to duplicate your laptop display or I guess your secondary display to two monitors? 

I'm hoping to extend the display. Will the item I linked work for that?

3 hours ago, Mega2 said:

I'm hoping to extend the display. Will the item I linked work for that?

No. Read the very first bullet point in Amazon's description:

• THIS UNIT DOES NOT EXTEND MONITORS - ONLY Split one HDMI input signal to two HDMI output signals identical to the input signal

A single HDMI port cannot be used to feed multiple monitors with different images. A splitter can only ever provide the same image to multiple monitors.

9 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Do you have any advice for things I can use to create an extended display from my laptop? I don't have any thunderbolt plugs (only a USB-C and 2 USB-A 2.0 ports).

10 hours ago, Mega2 said:

Do you have any advice for things I can use to create an extended display from my laptop? I don't have any thunderbolt plugs (only a USB-C and 2 USB-A 2.0 ports).

You can go for one of these USB-C Multiport adapters: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0885WDH6S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlpQN1o2SkJKNVNRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIyMDQ0RTNNVlFWN1dVM0hCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTQ3NjgyVVVQMVBKMTNSMjc2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It does not rely on Thunderbolt as people have been using these on their phones as well. So this should give you an additional HDMI out in addition to the one that's natively on your laptop. 

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can go for one of these USB-C Multiport adapters: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0885WDH6S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlpQN1o2SkJKNVNRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIyMDQ0RTNNVlFWN1dVM0hCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTQ3NjgyVVVQMVBKMTNSMjc2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It does not rely on Thunderbolt as people have been using these on their phones as well. So this should give you an additional HDMI out in addition to the one that's natively on your laptop. 

Awesome, thanks!