Opinions on 2080 temps

Middcore

I just completed a system that will be used largely for folding@home. The specs are in my signature.

After a couple of days of use, I see that the temperatures of the upper card, the RTX 2080, are consistently north of 80 C while folding. The 2070 in the lower slot is 10 degrees or more cooler. I expected the upper card to run hotter simply because it's squeezed for air, but I'd like opinions on whether temperatures of ~83 C (sustained for hours at a time whole folding) are acceptable for the health of the card.

I've experimented extensively with fan curves and can't get the 2080 under 80 C, there just isn't enough air there for the fans to move. The system is in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. I removed one of the two three-bay HDD cages that I wasn't using to make a better airflow path for the GPU's, and I replaced the stock front 200mm intake fan with a pair of 140mm fans, but it only improved temperatures by maybe a single degree. I could add additional exhaust fans in the top but I'm skeptical that will do much for the choked upper GPU.

TIA for any thoughts anyone has to offer. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Honestly 80C sounds about right, I'm running a 3060ti at a pretty borderline overclock and it rests at 81C under full load pretty consistently. Running that that temp wont necessarily hurt the board, but you will need to check for paste and pads in its lifespan.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

The temperatures are fine, but I would consider putting the more power hungry card in the bottom slot for the extra air. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

8 minutes ago, Nocte said:

The temperatures are fine, but I would consider putting the more power hungry card in the bottom slot for the extra air. 

Yeah I'm probably going to try that just as an easy experiment. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

22 minutes ago, Middcore said:

but I'd like opinions on whether temperatures of ~83 C

85c and below is generally fine, asides the card will throttle itself to keep it from reaching above 85c anyway

my rx 580 70% of the time is at 82-85c because i use it as a heater, sure i could cool it a little better but cooling a card that can pull 270w and can demand 1.5v can get a little noisy lol

37 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I just completed a system that will be used largely for folding@home. The specs are in my signature.

After a couple of days of use, I see that the temperatures of the upper card, the RTX 2080, are consistently north of 80 C while folding. The 2070 in the lower slot is 10 degrees or more cooler. I expected the upper card to run hotter simply because it's squeezed for air, but I'd like opinions on whether temperatures of ~83 C (sustained for hours at a time whole folding) are acceptable for the health of the card.

I've experimented extensively with fan curves and can't get the 2080 under 80 C, there just isn't enough air there for the fans to move. The system is in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. I removed one of the two three-bay HDD cages that I wasn't using to make a better airflow path for the GPU's, and I replaced the stock front 200mm intake fan with a pair of 140mm fans, but it only improved temperatures by maybe a single degree. I could add additional exhaust fans in the top but I'm skeptical that will do much for the choked upper GPU.

TIA for any thoughts anyone has to offer. 

Not an issue really. I would expect the card to run between 78 and 89 C under that kind of workload. Also remember that some cores (folding cores that is) are utilizing different parts of the gpu. Some run hotter while others will have your card sit below 80C while folding. If you feel like modding and utilizing the mighty power of cable ties, a fan blowing sideways onto both cards would improve thermals a bit. You could use the 200 mm fan for that job if you like.