GPU choosing help

Red_Fox_1293

Hello.

I recently build a pc using amd ryzen 9 3950x and amd/ati radeon hd 7970 because of the gpu shortage. Unfortunately, the 7970 came out of a mac pro 7,1 and had a custom bios that didn't work with my new pc. I will be waiting for one of the 3000 series graphics cards to be in stock but want to use my pc before then. what gpu do you recommend?

-Red_Fox_1293

Really depends on what resolution you are playing, the graphical settings you want to achieve, and the refresh rate you want to play at or aim for. 

If you want raytracing, a 30 series card like a RTX 3080 should be plenty for 1440/4K. I wouldn't use a RX6800 series card as its raytracing accelerators are in their infancy and not matured enough to really buy one of those cards for ray tracing. 

If you want rasterization, I think a RX6800(XT) are good performers if you want to go that route, but I'd still lean towards Nvidia for driver stability. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Thank you, but I mean as a cheap gpu before those come in stock, like a 1650 super or something (but not from shady amazon sellers)

9 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

Thank you, but I mean as a cheap gpu before those come in stock, like a 1650 super or something (but not from shady amazon sellers)

What is your budget on the temporary GPU? (Be sure to quote my post (back arrow in bottom left of post) or @SpiderMan so that I see your reply)

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

@SpiderManlike $350 or something like that

You're best bet is to buy a used graphics card like a GTX 1660 (or new if you can grab one), 5600, GTX 10(60 or 70) series card as a majority of the graphics cards as you mentioned, are out of stock and in high demand. 

There's nothing to recommend really.  Even the gtx 1660 cards are jacked up to $500+, which is dumb... I can't believe anyone would pay that.  Same with the AMD rx5600xt.  GTX 1650 are $300.  There is really nothing to buy that isn't a complete and utter rip-off highway robbery.  I'd rather over spend on a scalped rtx 3080 before I spend that much money on an old low-end card.

Maybe setup some notifies on like a Zotac website for a lower end card that is likely to come in stock, I only say Zotac assuming they are less desirable.  Or, maybe you get lucky at a Best Buy or drive to a Micro-center and see if they have some lower end cards at msrp.