Need a Mobo for 5900x

Go to solution Solved by Grabhanem,
On 1/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, Heywhatsup said:

Good VRM, probably OCs memory pretty well.

Excellent VRM, probably the best all around overclocker, but the USB port situation is not great if that's a concern.

Not quite as good as the Tomahawk VRM wise, but more USB ports and no wifi. The worst overclocker of the first 3, but most likely by a small margin.

Avoid this board, terrible VRM for the price and an older memory topology that will likely hurt your memory overclockability. There are literally B350 boards that have as good power delivery as this does.

Hey guys, I just bought a 5900x and would appreciate some help picking a motherboard. Not exactly sure what to look for when it comes to Mobos. I  ordered two sets of Patriot Viper 4400 MHz 16gb kits that I'll manually OC. I only really game and do software development.

I found these 4 motherboards that I've seen some people talk about, not sure if one of these would be a good choice or if I should go for something else.

Strix B550-F: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088W7RKVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MSI B550 Tomahawk: https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-MAG-B550-Tomahawk-Motherboard/dp/B089CWDHFZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B550+tomahawk&qid=1611542925&sr=8-1

MSI B550-A: https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-B550-PRO-ProSeries-Motherboard/dp/B089CZSQB4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MSI+B550-A&qid=1611543172&sr=8-1

MSI MPG x570: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=139007

Would appreciate some guidance,

Thanks.

I haven't used an MSI board recently, but I didn't have a good experience.. Asus has always been good to me for the most part. Usually my fault if it doesn't. 

I like my B550-F. I would buy it again. But it went up 60 bucks since I bought it @ newegg.ca  Lots of guys like their MSI boards though, so who knows.

I don't like the Intel Lan though. For some reason it takes 38s to initialize after a boot or wake from sleep. Other then that she's been good to me.

Been solid for memory clocking, it handles my CPU with no troubles. I did want a 5600 of course, but couldn't and still cant get one.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I haven't used an MSI board recently, but I didn't have a good experience.. Asus has always been good to me for the most part. Usually my fault if it doesn't. 

I like my B550-F. I would buy it again. But it went up 60 bucks since I bought it @ newegg.ca  Lots of guys like their MSI boards though, so who knows.

I don't like the Intel Lan though. For some reason it takes 38s to initialize after a boot or wake from sleep. Other then that she's been good to me.

Been solid for memory clocking, it handles my CPU with no troubles. I did want a 5600 of course, but couldn't and still cant get one.

I've only had MSI boards in the past and they've been completely fine for me but I've also heard good things about the B550-F which is why I was leaning towards that...I guess I'll just have to decide between those two.

As for the CPU, I managed to get the 5900x after just waiting 1 week on a backorder from ShopRBC. Give them a try if you're wanting a 5600x, I see people saying they're getting the 5600x/5800x shipped 1-3 days after ordering. 

Thanks I will look into it on payday!

Outside of the lan thing, this system is as smooth or smoother than any older Intel I've run. That's a good thing.. it has not been a frustration box or anything like that. Butter.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 1/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, Heywhatsup said:

Excellent VRM, probably the best all around overclocker, but the USB port situation is not great if that's a concern.

Not quite as good as the Tomahawk VRM wise, but more USB ports and no wifi. The worst overclocker of the first 3, but most likely by a small margin.

Avoid this board, terrible VRM for the price and an older memory topology that will likely hurt your memory overclockability. There are literally B350 boards that have as good power delivery as this does.

9 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

The lack of USB ports may be an issue but I could probably just get a USB hub. I'll take a look between them and choose something. Thanks Grabhanem and Freeagent 🙂