ASUS Rog Strix 3080 OC Edition

LordHiler

I have been lucky enough to get a confirmed order for an ASUS Rog Strix RTX 3080 OC edition through Best Buy. I am very excited. 

Problem - looking at the materials, they recommend an 850W PSU. 

I am currently running a Corsair RM750 (black label) and have a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU with PBO turned on but no actual overclocking. Am I going to be ok or do I seriously need a bigger PSU?

Thanks!

P.S. I have enough PCI-e cables and the PSU has enough room for them so there's no issue physically connecting it. 

1 minute ago, LordHiler said:

I have been lucky enough to get a confirmed order for an ASUS Rog Strix RTX 3080 OC edition through Best Buy. I am very excited. 

Problem - looking at the materials, they recommend an 850W PSU. 

I am currently running a Corsair RM750 (black label) and have a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU with PBO turned on but no actual overclocking. Am I going to be ok or do I seriously need a bigger PSU?

Thanks!

P.S. I have enough PCI-e cables and the PSU has enough room for them so there's no issue physically connecting it. 

Should be fine. Keep in mind the manufacturers always advise for a  higher-wattage PSU as they cannot know what other hardware you have in your system. For example, the power requirement for a 5600X is a lot different than that of an overclocked Threadripper 3970X. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I ran the rest of my system through PC part picker and added the GPU power draw and looks like I'll top out only around 550W for the whole system. Even if the card draws a little more on spikes sometimes, there's another 200w of room there, so I think it'll be ok. If it's unstable I'll upgrade PSU but I really don't want to have to. 

7 minutes ago, LordHiler said:

I ran the rest of my system through PC part picker and added the GPU power draw and looks like I'll top out only around 550W for the whole system. Even if the card draws a little more on spikes sometimes, there's another 200w of room there, so I think it'll be ok. If it's unstable I'll upgrade PSU but I really don't want to have to. 

Do as you like but keep checking or your psu usage if its 85% or more then change it 

Ok after doing more research I'm starting to get nervous. Apparently the original peak power consumption was 375W but the newer vbios is capped at 450w. 

I have a 105W TDP on the CPU but some people say on a full load synthetic benchmark it'll draw more like 120W. PC part picker seems to think the rest of my system (fans, cpu cooler, mobo, SSDs, RAM) will draw about 150W total (+/-). I assume that's full out, fans all at 100% RPM, fully accessing both  SSDs at the same time, and probably not realistic, right?

Still. If we are talking about 450W GPU plus 120W CPU plus 150W elsewhere that's 720W on a 750W PSU. I imagine just redlining every aspect of the system simultaneously is unlikely, and it is technically under, but how nervous should I be? 

The PSU is practically brand new... and a week out of its return window 😢. If I had to sell it used and upgrade to the more expensive 850 I would take a hefty loss. On the other hand, I don't want to reck my system with inadequate power. 

How do my numbers look?

I mean you will not be able to run it full overclock....

But you can limit the power consumption. I would change the PSU later down the line but to start with just limit power consumption.

The VBios allowing 450W does not need you have to push 450W

34 minutes ago, LordHiler said:

Ok after doing more research I'm starting to get nervous. Apparently the original peak power consumption was 375W but the newer vbios is capped at 450w. 

Having the possibility to go up to 450W doesn't mean that it will. You will most likely run out of thermal headroom before you manage to get to actual 450W power consumption. Having the option to update the bios so that it allows up to 450W is good for people who are actually going to take the card on LN2. The EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra also has a 450W BIOS update because of this. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

This is very helpful. I'm climbing back down off the ledge. I can always upgrade to something like the RM850x down the road if there's a sale or I have a little room in the budget, but it sounds like that doesn't need to be an immediate priority. Thank you!