Gaming Laptops and 100W PD charging?

Hello guys,

My Asus ROG Strix G17 G713QR running 5900HX and RTX3070 MaxP has just arrived.

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g17-series/

The laptops seem to support 100W PD charging through the USB C Port on the back.

Here is what is written on the site linked above

"Unplug and do more on the move with a high-capacity 90Wh battery. Extend your battery life away from wall sockets with Type-C charging from compatible power packs. For everyday activities like web browsing and streaming video, you can work off a smaller USB-C adapter up to 100W and travel even lighter with a single charger for your laptop and phone."

Does anyone have any experience with Type C PD charging? I have bought a Baseus charger from Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001216972300.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.41b04c4deu2B6s) and my question being the following: Will i be able to do Web Browsing/Programming and staying full on that PD charger (charger is still shipping)? Thanks a lot in advance

Hopefully. Really you won't know till you try and also that charger might not be good enough anyways as multiple people have noted that their chargers support up to x wattage of power they do not charge at max rate on many devices.

That and this charger at best with some chaining it seems can do 87w but single port is limited to 60w? It's pretty darn confusing about info

Are you asking about if you can use the laptop while in charging? Yes ofcourse.

USB charging is the same as regular charging.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

According to the specs, if you use only one device in the Type C ports, you get 100W, which would theoretically work. Will have to see how it does in practice :)
I think this year with Asus's Laptops (100W PD) this would be an interesting topic to explore for Linus Tech Tips
@SupaKomputa i am talking mostly how far you can push the laptop - like do heavy web browsing, do programming work etc, without the charge starting to drop

• 2 years later...

I just accidentally put my Lenovo Legion 5 gaming laptop plugged into my 60W USB C docking station. When I plugged it into the docking station, I forgot the power was plugged in. Over night it did charge my battery, but when I tried to boot the computer said that there were not enough watts on the power supply and I had to unplug the charger to get it to boot.

100W isn't going to handle a lot of gaming.  If that is what you intend you need the full charger.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, KabukiStarship said:

I just accidentally put my Lenovo Legion 5 gaming laptop plugged into my 60W USB C docking station. When I plugged it into the docking station, I forgot the power was plugged in. Over night it did charge my battery, but when I tried to boot the computer said that there were not enough watts on the power supply and I had to unplug the charger to get it to boot.

Weird that it required you to remove the charger.

I've used a 32W charger on my 16" M1 Pro MBP before. It obviously doesn't charge during use unless I run low power and low brightness (a 140W brick is recommended), and it's able to charge overnight just fine.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |